How long have you been on MFP, At Goal, Maintaining ?

Options
How long have you been a member of MFP?
Are you at your Goal Weight?
How far do you have to go?
If have met your goal weight how long have you maintained it using MFP?
How is your overall health as a result of maintaining your goal weight.
Suggestions for those still in process.
Just wondering I have been a member for a little over 2 years. I am a little over 1/2 pound away from my goal of 100 pounds. And I plan to remain a member while maintaining and I wondered if people actually do that or if they lose and leave.
I have spent a lifetime as a serial dieter and think this is probably the most disciplined I have ever been during these last 2 years.I have developed the habit of diarying and holding myself accountable through the app.

Replies

• vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Started in 2016. I was a slow loser and lost 40 pounds over 2 years. Maintained for 2 years. In 2020, due to a big vacation and then pandemic and then some major health problems that prevented exercise, I regained about 6 pounds and this year my goal is to lose that plus 6 more. I will log for the rest of my life.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    Just wondering I have been a member for a little over 2 years. I am a little over 1/2 pound away from my goal of 100 pounds. And I plan to remain a member while maintaining and I wondered if people actually do that or if they lose and leave.
    I have spent a lifetime as a serial dieter and think this is probably the most disciplined I have ever been during these last 2 years.I have developed the habit of diarying and holding myself accountable through the app.

I've been a member since 2011 or 12 I think but only really used it consistently since 2016.

I did get close to goal in 2017 but then my focus shifted to my sport, I maintained for about 18 months but then regained due to relapse into binge eating.

I've continuted checking in daily throughout.

After working on my binge eating a bit more, I am back to focusing on weight loss at a slower pace.

There are plenty of folks here who remain on after reaching goal, check out the Maintenance boards.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I've been a member since 2014. I got to my then goal weight in 2015 (125) from about 210. I maintained til 2020, and then during covid (since I had major issues maintaining my activity for a bunch of reasons and have been struggling with emotional eating/anxiety eating) went up to 135 (which is not overweight, just much heavier than I like) and have lost some and are maintaining around 130 now. I've decided to refocus and try to gradually get down to 120.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I think I've been in some sort of maintenance range for 7yrs. It's not a single number, sometimes I go up and need to reduce, and sometimes I go a little too low and have to bring it back up. Logging food is just one tool.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    Started in 2016. I was a slow loser and lost 40 pounds over 2 years. Maintained for 2 years. In 2020, due to a big vacation and then pandemic and then some major health problems that prevented exercise, I regained about 6 pounds and this year my goal is to lose that plus 6 more. I will log for the rest of my life.

Thank you for the confirmation that this something more than just something to do to lose. You can stay and use it to maintain if you want to. Have a great week.Good luck losing that 6 pounds I know you can do it. <3
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options

I've been a member since 2011 or 12 I think but only really used it consistently since 2016.

I did get close to goal in 2017 but then my focus shifted to my sport, I maintained for about 18 months but then regained due to relapse into binge eating.

I've continuted checking in daily throughout.

After working on my binge eating a bit more, I am back to focusing on weight loss at a slower pace.

There are plenty of folks here who remain on after reaching goal, check out the Maintenance boards.

Thank you I am so happy to hear that. Have a great week. I will checkout the maintence boards guess I must have over looked them.Good luck on your journey. <3
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I've been a member since 2014. I got to my then goal weight in 2015 (125) from about 210. I maintained til 2020, and then during covid (since I had major issues maintaining my activity for a bunch of reasons and have been struggling with emotional eating/anxiety eating) went up to 135 (which is not overweight, just much heavier than I like) and have lost some and are maintaining around 130 now. I've decided to refocus and try to gradually get down to 120.

Hello my fellow cat lover friend good luck getting back to goal - covid has made things hard, I have managed to not gain by gardening and finding a ton of things to do around the house. I think I have turned into an obsessive cleaner. Now I have started blogging, anything to keep from eating. My old standby my Jewelry business tanked because of covid and that use to keep me quite occupied filling orders, but sadly the economy has put many small business owners out to pasture. thanks for your reply. Have a good week.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I think I've been in some sort of maintenance range for 7yrs. It's not a single number, sometimes I go up and need to reduce, and sometimes I go a little too low and have to bring it back up. Logging food is just one tool.

What other tools do you find useful? I try to stay busy because I find idle hands and time lead to mindless eating so I am always doing something unless I am sleeping LOL.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I first joined in 2008 I think, but opted to use another site. When that site closed I rejoined MFP in 2010

Yes, I was st my goal when I rejoined. I just needed a place to maintain.

No distance I am there.

Maintaining on MFP since November 2010.
    I have to admit I haven’t logged for a good few years. I used to log 3-4 times a year just to make sure my eyeballing was accurate enough, even though my weight was stable. I will occasionally log for 2-3 weeks if my weight is dropping and I have a new workout routine just to get an idea of my new calorie burn.

How is your overall health as a result of maintaining your goal weight?
    I’ve never had any health problems so that hasn’t changed.
    My fitness level, however, both strength and CV, has improved tremendously. I’m a natural sloth so committing to 60 min 5 days a week minimum has worked well for me and, although I still don’t enjoy exercise, I don’t find 60 min a hardship. I like the benefits.

Suggestions for those still in process?
    Know yourself. Make it as easy as possible. Count your cals as long as you need to even if it is for ever if it helps you.
    Like I said, me and exercise and best friends so I do what I have to do for the results I’m happy with, and only worry about myself.
    I am inspired by a lot of women in here, but wouldn’t dream of emulating them. I know I don’t have the dedication.

Some lose and leave, others stay around. I didn’t even post on the forums until about 2014, just read when I felt like it.
    Now I go through phases. Right now I am posting occasionally because I don’t have a lot to give. Other times I am much more generous.

I have only had to lose weight once. I accomplished that over a year and haven’t had any problems maintaining my weight, I do think MFP keeps me accountable with exercise though I rarely post questions about it.

Cheers, h.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

What other tools do you find useful? I try to stay busy because I find idle hands and time lead to mindless eating so I am always doing something unless I am sleeping LOL.

Just being aware of healthy choices and staying active. I really try to focus on whole foods(lots of vegetables and some fruit every day).
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Started in June 2016 hit my goal weight a year and half later and have since been in cutting and bulking phases to build muscle and increase strength.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I first joined in 2008 I think, but opted to use another site. When that site closed I rejoined MFP in 2010

Yes, I was st my goal when I rejoined. I just needed a place to maintain.

No distance I am there.

Maintaining on MFP since November 2010.
    I have to admit I haven’t logged for a good few years. I used to log 3-4 times a year just to make sure my eyeballing was accurate enough, even though my weight was stable. I will occasionally log for 2-3 weeks if my weight is dropping and I have a new workout routine just to get an idea of my new calorie burn.

How is your overall health as a result of maintaining your goal weight?
    I’ve never had any health problems so that hasn’t changed.
    My fitness level, however, both strength and CV, has improved tremendously. I’m a natural sloth so committing to 60 min 5 days a week minimum has worked well for me and, although I still don’t enjoy exercise, I don’t find 60 min a hardship. I like the benefits.

Suggestions for those still in process?
    Know yourself. Make it as easy as possible. Count your cals as long as you need to even if it is for ever if it helps you.
    Like I said, me and exercise and best friends so I do what I have to do for the results I’m happy with, and only worry about myself.
    I am inspired by a lot of women in here, but wouldn’t dream of emulating them. I know I don’t have the dedication.

Some lose and leave, others stay around. I didn’t even post on the forums until about 2014, just read when I felt like it.
    Now I go through phases. Right now I am posting occasionally because I don’t have a lot to give. Other times I am much more generous.

I have only had to lose weight once. I accomplished that over a year and haven’t had any problems maintaining my weight, I do think MFP keeps me accountable with exercise though I rarely post questions about it.

Cheers, h.

Thank you so much I am inspired by you and the fact that you took it off once and have kept it off so long. I am hoping this time since I am actually going to make it to goal that I will maintain for the rest of my life. I actually feel better than I have in years. So I am glad to hear people stay around after they take it off and use it to maintain.
    Cheers to you and have a wonderful week. o:)
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    Started in June 2016 hit my goal weight a year and half later and have since been in cutting and bulking phases to build muscle and increase strength.

Congrats to you and good luck with your cutting and bulking phase. Thanks for sharing have a great week. :p
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Nov 2014: 45/50 lbs down, ready to give up & destined to regain due to unsustainability of effort. Went looking for a long term solution and stumbled upon mfp and forums.

Education and realizations followed (stickies, leading to papers and "fun" research).

By Nov 2015 another -72.5 to low overweight. By Nov 2016 another -11 and into the normal weight range.

Between that 156.9 trend weight, and a low of 150.8 ever since.

Logged and continue to log. More loosely the past couple of years.

As of September 2020 logging through a Canadian based app/site because of mobile data usage spikes and mfp web site logging issues. Plus the reduced data retention for non premium accounts.

I would say it took me a good 2+ years to gradually find it much easier to stay within my maintenance calories absent emotional and stress related issues that continue to be able to derail me.

Be very deliberate if you experiment with changes within (early) maintenance. The longer you maintain, the more likely you will continue to maintain (two and five year mark post weight loss being the statistical biggies!)
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nov 2014: 45/50 lbs down, ready to give up & destined to regain due to unsustainability of effort. Went looking for a long term solution and stumbled upon mfp and forums.

Education and realizations followed (stickies, leading to papers and "fun" research).

By Nov 2015 another -72.5 to low overweight. By Nov 2016 another -11 and into the normal weight range.

Between that 156.9 trend weight, and a low of 150.8 ever since.

Logged and continue to log. More loosely the past couple of years.

As of September 2020 logging through a Canadian based app/site because of mobile data usage spikes and mfp web site logging issues. Plus the reduced data retention for non premium accounts.

I would say it took me a good 2+ years to gradually find it much easier to stay within my maintenance calories absent emotional and stress related issues that continue to be able to derail me.

Be very deliberate if you experiment with changes within (early) maintenance. The longer you maintain, the more likely you will continue to maintain (two and five year mark post weight loss being the statistical biggies!)

Wow - thank you so much, so insightful - I really appreciate your thoughts. I have been a serial dieter all my life and have been looking forward to reaching my goal and maintaining. After reading your reply I now see I have another hurdle ahead at least I can prepare for it. What you have said is one of the little gems not usually shared so thank you again. <3
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I lost about 45 lbs. prior to joining MFP. I used to be on Fitday but MFP is easier to use, IMO. When I started running, I wanted to maintain my loss so joined MFP since I had read so many recommendations for this site. I continued to lose another 10 lbs. as I tried to dial in my actual calorie needs vs. the generic amount given for someone my age. (My burn is higher than the average, evidently, due to the fact that I get an hour or two of planned exercise most days.) At this point I've been maintaining for about 7-8 years. I still log what I eat and my exercise and have kept my weight between 120-125 without any trouble. The only time I don't log is when we are travelling, and then I always end up gaining a few pounds, so as soon as we are home I go back to logging. It works for me.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I lost about 45 lbs. prior to joining MFP. I used to be on Fitday but MFP is easier to use, IMO. When I started running, I wanted to maintain my loss so joined MFP since I had read so many recommendations for this site. I continued to lose another 10 lbs. as I tried to dial in my actual calorie needs vs. the generic amount given for someone my age. (My burn is higher than the average, evidently, due to the fact that I get an hour or two of planned exercise most days.) At this point I've been maintaining for about 7-8 years. I still log what I eat and my exercise and have kept my weight between 120-125 without any trouble. The only time I don't log is when we are travelling, and then I always end up gaining a few pounds, so as soon as we are home I go back to logging. It works for me.

Wow 8 years that's incredible love it , really inspiring . Thank you so much for the insight into what could bein my future if I just hangin there. <3
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have been a member since 2016. I didn't use MFP for weight loss. I didnt count calories for the first year, just changed my eating and movement. Lost 70 ish pounds. Then started calorie count, old school pen and paper, until I reached my lowest of 180 from 400. Maintained that for 2 years and was... uhh miserable. Intentionally regained 25-30 lbs and have maintained from 205-210 lbs without tracking for 9 months. Just letting my body decide my weight by my food choice and lifestyle. Hey @PAV8888... smooches!
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I have been a member since 2016. I didn't use MFP for weight loss. I didnt count calories for the first year, just changed my eating and movement. Lost 70 ish pounds. Then started calorie count, old school pen and paper, until I reached my lowest of 180 from 400. Maintained that for 2 years and was... uhh miserable. Intentionally regained 25-30 lbs and have maintained from 205-210 lbs without tracking for 9 months. Just letting my body decide my weight by my food choice and lifestyle. Hey @PAV8888... smooches!

I appauld you - you must be doing something right with the program because you are here- you use to weigh 400 and now you weigh between 205-210 that's about 200 if I am reading this right. And you've maintained. So thanks for sharing and have a great day.