How long have you been on MFP, At Goal, Maintaining ?

Options

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Around 7 yrs. Achieved goal twice; 2nd time after a replase 5 yrs ago.

Took only 6 months each time to lose 40# and have been in maintenance for the past 5 yrs.

Goal wt was 160 (from 200). Wt has dopped as low as 150 but have mainly fluctuated between 155-160 during the past 5 yrs.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Around 7 yrs. Achieved goal twice; 2nd time after a replase 5 yrs ago.

Took only 6 months each time to lose 40# and have been in maintenance for the past 5 yrs.

Goal wt was 160 (from 200). Wt has dopped as low as 150 but have mainly fluctuated between 155-160 during the past 5 yrs.

congratulations and thanks for sharing. Good to know people come and stay after they achieve their goal weight and come back if they gain back to lose it and can maintain after a fall. Very inspiring. Have a good week. :p
  • DonnasWay0805
    DonnasWay0805 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is my story too. I have lost 90lbs. I am trying to chip away the last 10 or so. I will continue to track the rest of my life. If my body is done I will be content here but really would like to see that 100 mark. I am not willing to do extreme because I know that comes back every time. I’ve not long been on this app. I rejoined recently because it’s the most efficient one to me. Loved reading this thread. ❤️
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I gained then lost ~30 lb about 40 years ago. I’ve been maintaining about 35 years (excluding pregnancy). Sometimes without much style or grace— emotional eating, binging, then over restricting. Sometimes I’ve felt like I was all over the place— in control, out of control, unsure which. I always stopped the gain at 5-7 lb above GW though and got back down to GW.

I started calorie counting on another site about 10 years ago. I switched to MFP 6 years ago. Calorie counting with online tools has been by far the most effective least effort most sane way I have ever found to maintain. If I found an easier way that worked as well, I’d do that instead but I’m content to keep on counting. Feeling great is worth the effort.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    This is my story too. I have lost 90lbs. I am trying to chip away the last 10 or so. I will continue to track the rest of my life. If my body is done I will be content here but really would like to see that 100 mark. I am not willing to do extreme because I know that comes back every time. I’ve not long been on this app. I rejoined recently because it’s the most efficient one to me. Loved reading this thread. ❤️

I agree the thread comments have been very interesting, I am glad I started the conversation. I have gleamed way more than I expected. Good luck with your 10 see you at the finish line. Take care. <3

• mpkpbk2015
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I gained then lost ~30 lb about 40 years ago. I’ve been maintaining about 35 years (excluding pregnancy). Sometimes without much style or grace— emotional eating, binging, then over restricting. Sometimes I’ve felt like I was all over the place— in control, out of control, unsure which. I always stopped the gain at 5-7 lb above GW though and got back down to GW.

I started calorie counting on another site about 10 years ago. I switched to MFP 6 years ago. Calorie counting with online tools has been by far the most effective least effort most sane way I have ever found to maintain. If I found an easier way that worked as well, I’d do that instead but I’m content to keep on counting. Feeling great is worth the effort.

Yes feeling good is worth the effort and I tend to feel better and not so guilty when I count and diary. Then if there'sa problem when I weigh in I can look back and pin point the culprit. Thanks for sharing and have a great week.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I joined February 2012
    So far I've lost just over 170lb
    I lost and gained the same bit the first 2 years then slowed to standstill in 2016 with my suprise baby
    I still have 60-80lb to go
    I'm no longer virtually immobile
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I joined February 2012
    I lost and gained the same bit the first 2 years then slowed to standstill in 2016 with my suprise baby

I am totally inspired 170 pounds lost great job. I respect your stick to it attitude.And resolve to get it done. Thank you for your story. Good luck on the rest of your journey. <3
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    - I've been on MFP since 2012
    - After my initial weight loss my goals shifted away from scale-defined success
    - Since that initial loss phase I have controlled my weight within the confines of "healthy" continuously since mid 2012.
    - I consider myself healthy for the duration or my time on MFP but my fitness has improved dramatically. I'm considerably stronger and leaner now at almost 32 than at 23 when I started.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    - Since that initial loss phase I have controlled my weight within the confines of "healthy" continuously since mid 2012.
    - I consider myself healthy for the duration or my time on MFP but my fitness has improved dramatically. I'm considerably stronger and leaner now at almost 32 than at 23 when I started.

Congrats from 2012 to 2021 what an accomplishment I am in awe. I too have finally come to the point where I don't let the scale define my success I weigh but I also measure myself ateach weigh in to check for inches lost. Thanks for sharing and affirming my beliefs. <3
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

Congrats from 2012 to 2021 what an accomplishment I am in awe. I too have finally come to the point where I don't let the scale define my success I weigh but I also measure myself ateach weigh in to check for inches lost. Thanks for sharing and affirming my beliefs. <3

Thanks. MFP is now really just a passive self-care habit. Personally, it got to a point where just staying "not-fat" wasn't satisfactory and I really started focusing on building strength and improving my physique. In the last five years I've basically bounced between 170 and 180 lbs while going from 18% BF in 2015 to <12% before starting a massing phase in fall of last year.
  • SocoAndLime
    SocoAndLime Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a member since 2016 when I was in my second year of college. I used MFP daily and wasn't sure why i wasn't seeing any changes. fast forward to September 2019 i was 185 and at my heaviest. I decided to start again and weigh my foods and track for a week eating the normal foods and portions. I was shocked because I did try to eat healthy. Then I started tracking/weighing my portions but let myself be flexible and not too strict because i have a tendency to binge if I restrict too much. Going that route did take longer and it took me 6 months, but I was able to lose 27 pounds! My goal was 160. In April 2020 i weighed 156.5 but in the coming months I stabilized at 159ish I have been maintaining for a about 6 months now and I currently weigh 158.6. Now that i know exactly what I need to do I'm ready to push myself further and get to 150 by May!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    I joined February 2012

I am totally inspired 170 pounds lost great job. I respect your stick to it attitude.And resolve to get it done. Thank you for your story. Good luck on the rest of your journey. <3

Thank you, it had to be done. I was given 5 years to live and was the single mum of a disabled child

Losing weight made my son a possibility I was told I couldn't have more kids, we can't imagine life without him now and I can keep up with the kids (my son has autism and ADHD) and I can hike for hours with him on my back

Sticking with MFP and getting my friend to act as an accountability buddy has been key to getting where I am now
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    Should point out I have 2 kids
    15 year old girl with cerebral palsy and autism
    And my 5 year old boy born mid weight loss who's a ball of pure energy 😂
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off MFP since 2009.... I had a bad habit of giving up on myself and deleting my accounts ....I came back Dec. 2018 and have lost 53 lbs ..with 76 more to go :)
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options

Thanks. MFP is now really just a passive self-care habit. Personally, it got to a point where just staying "not-fat" wasn't satisfactory and I really started focusing on building strength and improving my physique. In the last five years I've basically bounced between 170 and 180 lbs while going from 18% BF in 2015 to <12% before starting a massing phase in fall of last year.

Your welcome nice habit to have. Your BF % is amazing your a true success story. :)
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I joined February 2012

Thank you, it had to be done. I was given 5 years to live and was the single mum of a disabled child

Losing weight made my son a possibility I was told I couldn't have more kids, we can't imagine life without him now and I can keep up with the kids (my son has autism and ADHD) and I can hike for hours with him on my back

Sticking with MFP and getting my friend to act as an accountability buddy has been key to getting where I am now

God Bless you and your son. You are truly astonishing. I have found my journey to to be better with supportive friends who keep me accountable too. Wish I could give you a great big hug. <3
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    I have been a member since 2016 when I was in my second year of college. I used MFP daily and wasn't sure why i wasn't seeing any changes. fast forward to September 2019 i was 185 and at my heaviest. I decided to start again and weigh my foods and track for a week eating the normal foods and portions. I was shocked because I did try to eat healthy. Then I started tracking/weighing my portions but let myself be flexible and not too strict because i have a tendency to binge if I restrict too much. Going that route did take longer and it took me 6 months, but I was able to lose 27 pounds! My goal was 160. In April 2020 i weighed 156.5 but in the coming months I stabilized at 159ish I have been maintaining for a about 6 months now and I currently weigh 158.6. Now that i know exactly what I need to do I'm ready to push myself further and get to 150 by May!

Thanks for sharing, You will do it I know. Good luck on your way to the finish line. Take care.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've been on MFP since the fall of 2012 and hit my goal and 40 Lbs lost in the spring of 2013. I more or less maintained that weight until 2020 save for the 5-10 Lbs I usually gain in the winter and would take off in the spring. After my initial weight loss I got really into endurance road cycling and doing various cycling events and tours. I was pretty hard core with it until about 2018.

At that point I was having a combination of a bit of burnout combined with having more life on my plate in regards to kids bringing home more homework, soccer practice and games, flag football practice and games, archery, etc. Just really didn't have time or frankly the desire to continue slogging out 100 miles+ per week on the bike. 2018 and 2019 I spent a lot more time just being active...still road, but wasn't training or anything...more like taking the bike out to meet up with the group at the coffee shop and such. Did more hiking and dabbled in rock climbing a bit (ultimately too expensive when I already had an expensive cycling habit). It was all good, and I was enjoying the freedom from structured training and having to roll out of bed on a Saturday for a 40 mile ride that I was dreading by that time. Being active became fun again, though from a fitness level I was seeing some significant overall decline from my peak.

2020 was a dumpster fire...there is of course the obvious reason of COVID...but beyond that, one of my best friends who I've known since 3rd grade passed away. He was a mountaineer type and we all kind of joked that he was going to kill himself one day with some of the crazy stuff he did. He died in an ice climbing accident last February...about 2 weeks or so before everything went into lockdown. I was supposed to meet up with him in Colorado at the end of March and was finalizing plans with him and thought it odd he hadn't returned my texts over the course of a few days...then I got a text from his wife explaining things.

That through me into a bit of a depression (and also kind of sealed the deal for me in regards to future rock climbing endeavors)...then COVID hit and I was suddenly working from home and trying to help my 7 and 9 year old with distance learning and trying to make everything seem somewhat "normal". One positive was that I dropped about 5 Lbs of my 2019 winter weight due to not having much appetite, and I was spending more time on my mountain bike hitting the trails and getting back into shape. That was relatively short lived as I was in a mountain biking accident in late June that resulted in some bad injuries and also caused a massive gout flare in my whole foot. I healed from the bike wreck fairly quickly (about 6 weeks), but the gout flare lasted for about 3 months with varying degrees of severity. I really couldn't do much of anything with that going on...it was very debilitating. Doc finally got that under control by late September with steroids, but by that time I had put on another 10 Lbs and just spent the rest of 2020 kind of wallowing and cursing the universe. By the end of 2020 I was up 20 Lbs from my maintenance weight.

I'm back at it now...dieting and doing some structured workouts on the bike and in the weight room. I'm thinking I will be back to where I should be by July.

First of all let me say how sorry I am about your friend, my deepest condolences for your lost. He sounds like he was a really special guy. And it's hard when you lose friends who have been apart of your life since childhood. I know because I lost 2 of my best friends to breast cancer in the same year. Your heart feels like it will never heal but in time the good memories of the times you had together will help the pain you feel and it will hurt a little less.

I am sure the depression meds if you took any as I did when I lost my friends, they made me gain weight even though at the time I was so sad I was barely eating anything. My heart aches for youas you have been through so much I wish I could reach through this keyboard and give you a hug and tell you its' going to be ok.

Thank you for sharing with me, I tend to gain over the winter too because I hate the cold and become a home body. But it seems your on track and going in the right direction. I wish you every success and will keep you in my prayers . Take care and be Blessed. I am glad your here on MFP. o:)