Fat Burners Do they work?

I see so many ads for fat burners and heat that most don’t work. Are there any that actually work? Trying to get rid of some stubborn belly fat but not looking for a magic wand.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    No
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Adding my voice to the chorus of "no." You can't spot-reduce - your body will burn its fat reserves according to its own filing system that is unique to you.

The "fat burner" diet pills are usually stimulants that suppress the appetite, which theoretically can create a calorie deficit that will result in fat loss. However, for what I hope are obvious reasons, using pills like that is not safe or sustainable. You don't learn anything about how to eat to maintain your reduced weight - the only way to maintain it is to trade your weight problem for a drug problem, which is not a good prize.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    No there aren't, non-prescription slimming pills generally work 1 of 3 ways and all tend to be short term in efficacy:
    • Appetite suppressant - such as caffeine, once you build up a tolerance, it works less.
    • Laxative - basically dehydrating you, so you lose water not fat, not pleasant or healthy long term.
    • Fat Binders - prevents dietary fat absorption, excess fat absorption leads to very unpleasant side effects - note this affects dietary fat, not body fat.

None of them will spot-target your stomach fat.

Would suggest reading through this thread
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Oh, I forgot about the fat binders! Funny thing about the digestive tract - anything that doesn't get absorbed or digested on its way from point A to point B (not to put too fine a point on it) will just exit through the gift shop exactly as it went in. Jeff Foxworthy had a bit about this kind of side effect some years back. Anal seepage. It's not even fun to say.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    plitrico wrote: »
    I see so many ads for fat burners and heat that most don’t work. Are there any that actually work? Trying to get rid of some stubborn belly fat but not looking for a magic wand.

Not if they're legal. "Fat burners" are mostly caffeine.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    70% of the US population is overweight or obese. Would not be the case if fatburners worked.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    plitrico wrote: »

Not if they're legal. "Fat burners" are mostly caffeine.

I think there are a few legal ones, but that isn't something I would discuss in this forum since they all have bad side effects.

But I agree in general.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Liposuction is the only non-deficit guaranteed solution to small fat pocket removal.

I've heard cool sculpting actually does work for some people as well, though I have not researched it in depth.

Neither of those are pills though.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    No there aren't, non-prescription slimming pills generally work 1 of 3 ways and all tend to be short term in efficacy:
    • Appetite suppressant - such as caffeine, once you build up a tolerance, it works less.
    • Laxative - basically dehydrating you, so you lose water not fat, not pleasant or healthy long term.
    • Fat Binders - prevents dietary fat absorption, excess fat absorption leads to very unpleasant side effects - note this affects dietary fat, not body fat.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Oh, I forgot about the fat binders! Funny thing about the digestive tract - anything that doesn't get absorbed or digested on its way from point A to point B (not to put too fine a point on it) will just exit through the gift shop exactly as it went in. Jeff Foxworthy had a bit about this kind of side effect some years back. Anal seepage. It's not even fun to say.

This is a good (awful) read about one of the prescription fat binders https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it/p1

That thread never gets old.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    There are no real "fat burners" per se (OTC). The majority are stimulants and appetite suppressants.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    This dick states you can burn 2lbs of fat in 8 hours just drinking his "water hack".

https://science.leptitox.com/?hop=bowallg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Not only do they not work, taking unregulated supplements can be actively harmful. Even some innocuous-seeming ones, like green tea extract pills, for example. Green tea, healthy and "natural", right? But they are known to cause liver damage, which can lead to death.

https://www.consumerreports.org/dieting-weight-loss/truth-about-green-tea-for-weight-loss/
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member

This is a good (awful) read about one of the prescription fat binders https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10290083/alli-xenical-does-it-work-please-only-answer-if-you-have-actually-taken-it/p1

Oh noooo, I knew it would be a bad idea to open up this thread while having breakfast. This link was bound to be here. I don't even need to click on it and I shudder. Thanks for that.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    I mean the hardcore ones like clenbuterol and bronkaid? Yeah but they aren't healthy, bro.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    yirara wrote: »

Oh noooo, I knew it would be a bad idea to open up this thread while having breakfast. This link was bound to be here. I don't even need to click on it and I shudder. Thanks for that.

I have bad timing, too. I’d sit down to dinner just as “The Walking Dead” came on. 😂