11 mile hike

Hey guys, I've planned an 11 mile hike with some friends. We live in Wisconsin and this hike is going to happen in July. That means it's going to be hot and probably humid. The longest hike I've done so far is 3 miles. Any tips for me?

Replies

• tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Get a good pair of shoes! I have found shoes to make the difference between good hikes and bad ones. I like a lot of the footwear that Merrell makes. Their sizing runs about a half size bigger than say Nike for me. If you’ll be in Wisconsin in the Summer, it is likely to be humid, so opt for shoes and clothing that will keep you cool. In addition, think about a Camelbak or other, hydration pack, to keep up on your liquids.

Last idea, a nice pair of sunglasses, with a trail-specific lens, will help as you encounter changing light conditions.

Have fun!
  • Ensure you pack a bag with you and have:
    Basic medical supplies, bandages, polysporin, Tylenol or other pain killer
    Lots of water
    Good shoes — I like Oboz
    Break your shoes in for a few weeks before hand - you don’t want this 11 mile hike to be the first one in a brand new pair of shoes
    Good socks- even in summer, I prefer wool hiking socks. They wick moisture away and keep your feet dry
    Pack food - snacks, lunch, - when I Ike I often don’t want a big meal, but rather more frequent smaller snacks throughout the hike
    Sufficient layers - depending on where you’re hiking, the weather can change unexpectedly. So a a light weight long sleeved shirt and a rain jacket.
    Practice - work your way up to that distance
    Start as early in the day as you can. It is nice to start earlier when it is cooler.

Good luck

Let us know how it goes
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Wide brimmed hat & mosquito netting to go over it. Light weight long sleeved shirts and pants. Truth. Been there done that.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    What's the trail like? (You don't have to tell me but please know the answer yourself!). Is it pretty flat, or will there be a lot of up and down? Are you hiking through the woods, which provide shade? Is it a windy place?

The #1 thing you can do is walk a lot. Most days around your neighborhood is fine. Build your mileage gradually. If you're on sidewalks that's still going to help your body prepare. But if you can spend time on trails when the snow melts, do. If not, work up to carrying your pack a few miles where you can, sand do hills or stairs if that's something you need to prepare for.

Get shoes your feet like. If 11 miles is a lot for you when this rolls around, bring 2 or 3 pairs of cushioned socks on the hike, changing into fresh ones will be a luxury.

Take breaks. Stop for food. We don't carry much water here because it's the rain forest, so when we cross a creek we stop and filter water. Sometimes there are parts of long hikes that are tedious, stopping for a meal can break up the monotony.

You said you're going with friends. Pushing your limits together, experiencing the beauty of nature together, and sharing an adventure all bring people closer together. Enjoy! 🙂🥾🏔️🏞️🌲🐿️
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Also, about what to bring, I want to give you some general advice.

Hiking in the heat of the day throws your thermostat off, your body has a harder time regulating its temperature. It makes you feel chilly once the sun gets low in the sky. Bring a fleece if you might still be out in the evening. Maybe a wind shirt if needed.

On a really hot day, I like to (1) wear a silk weight long sleeve shirt to block the sun and to help with evaporative cooling. And (2) bring a large camelback, fill it halfway and stick it in the freezer the night before. Top it off in the morning and enjoy cold water while you hike. Depending on your pack you might be able to feel it against your back.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    All you you are amazing! This hike isn't until july 24th so I will definitely try to remember to let everyone know how it went. Thank you so much!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    If the training for it at equal distance is an issue with available time, then after you have gone as long as you have time for prior, start loading up a backpack with more weight than you will carry then, and walk your same max time now until then.

Then when you drop the extra weight for the real hike, the extra distance won't feel as much a problem.

Normally though, once you get past a certain distance you've tested enough your clothes and shoes won't cause problems, you'll have eating and drinking while moving down, or great time for break anyway. The only benefit of extra distance past a certain point is mental, because body could probably easily go farther without issue.

2 mph trail hiking with backpack reasonable pace, sidewalk with lighter probably get 3 mph. But for sure test out shoes and clothes on similar type of walking surface.
    Nothing like shoes that feel fine on flat surfaces, but start rubbing ankles on trail type uneven surface.
  • nookicky
    nookicky Posts: 16 Member
    Everybody is saying good shoes, and I just want to echo that and also add good socks!! I always hike with thick wool socks, even in the summer. Even a well-broken-in pair of hiking boots can cause a blister with the wrong socks.
    Bring plenty of water (for 11 mile hikes I usually go through about 2 liters, in the summer it could get closer to 2.5), sunscreen, a hat, bug spray, sunglasses, and snacks! I always take nuts on hikes, and dried fruit has become a big favorite of mine as well. Cucumber is great cause it has a high water content and is super refreshing. I like to bring a bit of bread along as well, or a pretzel! Don't bring fresh bananas. Learn from my mistakes.
    Also think about thighs rubbing together. If you tend to chafe, make sure you wear clothing that will make that a non-issue. When I first started hiking I wore wildly inappropriate clothing and was in serious pain for days after. Again, learn from my mistakes!
    What kind of trail will you be on? Will there be some areas where you are in tall grasses? If so, it might be smart to wear long pants, even if it's hot. If long pants aren't an option for you, tall socks!! Stinging nettles can catch you by surprise (if they grow where you are).
    Make sure you have a well marked map and that your phone is charged! I always bring an external battery for my phone, even if it's for a shorter hike. Better to be prepared.
    I've heard people say to take a short sitting break 20 minutes in on your hike, and then once an hour after that, even if you don't think you need it. I tend to just go until I need a break, as long as you know your body and what your limits are I think it's fine to not follow a set of rules regarding rest.
    Hiker's etiquette: people coming uphill have the right of way if the path is small!!!!!!! Step to the side if you are going downhill and someone is coming uphill. They are exerting more effort, let them set the pace. If they let you go, then fine, but let them be the ones to choose. I hate when people don't follow this rule. Also let people pass if they have a faster pace than you do! Also definitely look up Leave No Trace. It helps keep the environment an enjoyable place for all :)
    I personally don't use hiking poles unless I'm on a longer backpacking trip, I find them clunky and annoying, but I know a lot of people swear by them. What I DO always always always bring is a sweat rag. It's amazing how much better you can feel if you have something to wipe the sweat away with. It's gross, but trust me, it's great.
    Most importantly, have fun and be respectful of the nature!
    If you have any questions, feel free to write to me!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Loads of great advice already.

Make sure to take blister plasters, even if your shoes are great and you have never needed them before. Much easier to take a couple and not need them.

Have fun