So Is Jason Fung right...or wrong...is insulin even a factor in losing weight...and other issues.

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Love the new photo, MaltedTea. (I need to change mine again, as it's no longer seasonal!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I don't know who Mr. Fung is but just want to clarify that "IF, fasting, keto work" are simply two strategies, not three: fasting and keto

Intermittent fasting is just a type of fast.

Folks can fool about and otherwise experiment with their macros once they have a good handle on their calorie intake for a given period of time. If keto-type macros work for your goals, then have at it. If you find it easier to manage, in terms of your lifestyle, then do so IF-style.

I agree that that's a great photo, @MaltedTea . . . one in quite a sequence of them. Wondering if you're a photographer, or have one in your life.

Back on topic:

Maybe I was reading too much into it (I usually am), but I read it as (sort of) 3 things, possibly: (1) IF (a regular pattern practice like 5:2, 16:8 (or should that be 8:16?😆), OMAD, etc.), (2) fasting (throwing in whole fasting days, maybe multiples, but not as one of the regular pattern thingies), and (3) keto.

Of course any of them can work, properly managed.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    bubus05 wrote: »
    I am honestly curious what our own experts on MyFitnesspal think about the guy who is kind of famous or infamous-depending on whether you believe him or not- with his views on IF, fasting and keto. He is in favour of all of these three strategies though his favourite subject seems to be fasting, so is he wrong?
    On a number of posts and replies I have seen these kinds of statements 'Fung was debunked by experts with more knowledge' or 'as soon as I've seen him mention I bailed'. Whenever I mention any of these three strategies and say why I think they work I get debunked that is for sure. I was suggested to ask the community what they really think so here it is.
    First my own views. I think IF, fasting, keto work. At least in my own experience they do. From almost morbid obese at 285 lbs went to 190 lbs in twelve months, not super slim, but kind of healthy weight. I am a 50 year old relatively healthy male at 5.8. I have done all three but I have to admit lately I do have cheat days with high carbs, surprisingly even for me high carbs have not really effected my weight loss, if anything I felt I had more energy to put more pressure on my trainings. The only thing I have been very consistent is being in calorie deficit. I admit Fung got me into doing keto combined with fasting, so I am kind of grateful to him. His views on how insulin levels effect weight loss seemed credible so I tried to follow his advice and I feel I am successful, never felt better. Honestly, after years of unsuccessful attempts at losing weight here is a guy who explains how to do it and it works, a damn miracle in my book. And than I read on these pages I am wrong and Fung is wrong. That he is debunked by experts. WTF??? So I went to see the other argument. What I found is that essentially both sides argue the same thing except that, Fung says you go low insulin than you start burning fat and than you will lose weight. The other side says no he is wrong, you go into calorie deficit than your insulin level go down and than you start burning fat and than you will lose weight. The question of what came first the egg or the chicken...Both sides seem to be right, with one side claiming the insulin level is not that important it is the calorie deficit that is important. True, Fung doesn't speak of the importance of calorie deficit though, what he is saying is that with weight loss one's metabolism will necessarily go down so you can't really rely on that. That makes sense too, but the argument about CICO also makes sense. So I am at a loss why I lost the weight TBH. Fung seems to be right- i mean his strategy worked for me- but he seems to be wrong too, which is it...
    I am curious to hear you guys sharing your views on the subject.

I get your confusion - MFP will never agree with anything that isn't straight CICO - and anything else that works towards weight loss ONLY works because it puts you in a calorie deficit. I think there is a little more nuance with regards to the influence of hormones, metabolism, gut health etc than that - but I don't know that it is enough to make a huge difference in the "real world" - because yes any calorie deficit diet will result in weight loss.
    I am not familiar with Dr Fung but my own personal doctor does believe that gut health and hormones are an important factor for metabolism and weight loss (she is a gp but has specialized practice in chronic illness and funcitonal nutrition). So while I do trust her opinion, it is hard to not have doubts creep in when you hang around here and it is constantly drilled into your head that those things don't matter. It's a conundrum for sure. But what I am doing is working for me (for my health and weight loss) so I'll just stick with it.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone on MFP is saying gut health, hormones, etc., don't matter. One person will have a TDEE of 2100, and another person who's the same gender, height, weight, etc., will have a TDEE of 2200 or 2150 or 2035. Individual physiologies clearly differ and one's TDEE reflects the sum total of all the things that are going on inside your body, inclusive of insulin levels, other hormones, etc. etc. etc.

But in the end, you gotta be in a calorie deficit to lose weight, and the size of that calorie deficit will determine how much weight you lose. Calorie deficit has always been the most important factor, by far, in weight loss and always will be, except in the case of quite unusual medical conditions. Whether there's 5 or 10 % at the margins that can be influenced by things other than calorie deficit, who knows, but those things are hardly the basis of a successful weight loss plan. Keto, IF, all may play a peripheral role in weight loss beyond their impact on helping one stay in a deficit, but the key word there is "peripheral".

I'm not sure why you are quoting me, whether it is to disagree, or if you want me to respond or what. But as per the bolded part of my comment we are literally saying the same thing so.... yeah? (But note that my comment got several "disagrees" - my experience with MFP is that even mentioning the influence of another factor than CICO elicits a negative response. I don't get it, but its a calorie counting website so whatever.)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat2 I'm honestly not even sure why you are quoting me and dissecting my response. Sorry I'm not super clear what you are asking, or if you even want me to respond.
    As I said previously "communication is a complicated thing and we all "hear" through our own filters - so of course others may experience it differently."

• bbeyer1792
    bbeyer1792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Caralarma wrote: »
    Dr Fung is a quack. You lose weight when you fast for 2 days... well no sh1t sherlock! Obviously eating less is going to cause weight loss. I once saw a video where he literally said calories dont matter. And he has so many brainwashed followers. I feel so sorry for them.

I had been counting calories already at 1200 and was still gaining weight, I started 14-10 IF at the same calories and I've lost 5 lbs