So Is Jason Fung right...or wrong...is insulin even a factor in losing weight...and other issues.

Options

Replies

• bbeyer1792
    bbeyer1792 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bbeyer1792 wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    Dr Fung is a quack. You lose weight when you fast for 2 days... well no sh1t sherlock! Obviously eating less is going to cause weight loss. I once saw a video where he literally said calories dont matter. And he has so many brainwashed followers. I feel so sorry for them.

I had been counting calories already at 1200 and was still gaining weight, I started 14-10 IF at the same calories and I've lost 5 lbs

If you were gaining weight at 1200 calories you were either not using a food scale and or picking incorrect items from the database.

No it was correct, my bmr is 1280 so it's already not much of a deficit..
  • bbeyer1792
    Options
    Dr Fung is a quack. You lose weight when you fast for 2 days... well no sh1t sherlock! Obviously eating less is going to cause weight loss. I once saw a video where he literally said calories dont matter. And he has so many brainwashed followers. I feel so sorry for them.

I had been counting calories already at 1200 and was still gaining weight, I started 14-10 IF at the same calories and I've lost 5 lbs

If you were gaining weight at 1200 calories you were either not using a food scale and or picking incorrect items from the database.

You have all kinds of misconceptions.

IF doesn't cause more weight loss on the same calories.

One shouldn't take a calorie deficit off BMR.

BMR is your basic calories just to stay alive while doing nothing, so that's another misstatement.

I dont exercise, the most activity I do is cleaning. I have some hormone issue. My acth is low as well as my thyroid but they won't treat it. I have gained 40lbs in the last year on 1200 calories. I was on birth control for 2 months and lost 30lbs eating the exact same, had to stop the birth control and gained it all back and kept gaining without changing anything until I started IF.
  • bbeyer1792
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Your deficit isn't taken from BMR...your deficit is taken from TDEE. BMR is the calories you burn merely existing on this planet and nothing else. My BMR is around 1800 calories...my TDEE is around 3000 calories...I lose about 1-1.5 Lb per week eating anywhere from 2300-2500 calories per day...far more than my BMR.

What would my tdee be? I'm 4'10" 151lbs and am not active
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Depending on age, 1500-1600 per a calculator I've found accurate (tdeecalculator.net). Medications will certainly muddy those waters but the statement that your deficit comes from your TDEE not your BMR is still accurate.
  • bbeyer1792
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Depending on age, 1500-1600 per a calculator I've found accurate (tdeecalculator.net). Medications will certainly muddy those waters but the statement that your deficit comes from your TDEE not your BMR is still accurate.

I'm 32, if I ate 1500 calories a day I would gain even more weight.
  • bbeyer1792
    Options

Your deficit isn't taken from BMR...your deficit is taken from TDEE. BMR is the calories you burn merely existing on this planet and nothing else. My BMR is around 1800 calories...my TDEE is around 3000 calories...I lose about 1-1.5 Lb per week eating anywhere from 2300-2500 calories per day...far more than my BMR.

Looks like probably around 1500-1600 calories if you're pretty much sedentary. If you have hormonal issues, you may benefit from IF by keeping glucose levels down possibly...but as has been said by multiple people, the problem with Fung's work is that he either thinks everyone is sick or diseased or even if they aren't, they should be eating a certain way anyway. He markets to the masses, not just to those who have issues and for the masses without issues, his stuff is quakery. There is no reason an otherwise healthy person needs to suppress the body's normal and natural insulin response by lowering glucose levels with IF.

And yes...if you're not active at all, it makes weight loss pretty dang hard. Keep in mind that regular exercise also has a profound impact on hormone regulation in the body...is there a reason you don't exercise? 8+ years ago when I started I had pre-diabetic blood glucose levels...I started exercising regularly, and that pretty much put an end to that issue in short order.

Honestly im lazy, I'm going to be getting a treadmill soon so that will help or when it finally warms up outside.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Your deficit isn't determined by your BMR . . someone with a BMR of 1,280 could be using more calories per day depending on their lifestyle. And they wouldn't gain weight on 1,200 calories, so we're back to measuring appropriately . . .
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

I'm 32, if I ate 1500 calories a day I would gain even more weight.

I still think their has to be something amiss in your logging. My wife is 46 and 5'1" and loses weight eating around 1800 calories per day...granted, she's active, but even if she wasn't particularly active, if she was really eating 1200 calories per day, the weight would be flying off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Looks like probably around 1500-1600 calories if you're pretty much sedentary. If you have hormonal issues, you may benefit from IF by keeping glucose levels down possibly...but as has been said by multiple people, the problem with Fung's work is that he either thinks everyone is sick or diseased or even if they aren't, they should be eating a certain way anyway. He markets to the masses, not just to those who have issues and for the masses without issues, his stuff is quakery. There is no reason an otherwise healthy person needs to suppress the body's normal and natural insulin response by lowering glucose levels with IF.

And yes...if you're not active at all, it makes weight loss pretty dang hard. Keep in mind that regular exercise also has a profound impact on hormone regulation in the body...is there a reason you don't exercise? 8+ years ago when I started I had pre-diabetic blood glucose levels...I started exercising regularly, and that pretty much put an end to that issue in short order.

Honestly im lazy, I'm going to be getting a treadmill soon so that will help or when it finally warms up outside.

Your Future Self will thank you if you develop healthier habits around exercise now :)

There are plenty of ways to be active inside with zero equipment. If you need suggestions, do start a new thread on this.

What does "cold" mean to you? When I was in the military in upstate New York, we were issued all sorts of cold weather gear, and I learned that one can stay warm in very cold weather when dressed properly. I bundle up and walk all winter long. Unless there's snow. On day one I shovel, and then I snow shoe. I got my parka at a thrift shop for $10 and a friend picked up the snow shoes at a yard sale for $5.

Come see our exercising in the winter threads:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10808194/winter-months
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10811010/working-out-in-winter-climates/p1
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10809157/what-s-your-plan-for-the-winter/p1