Frappe Making Question for a Barista

Options
I’m trying to make a frappe type drink using a cup of French press coffee, a cup of almond milk, ice, and sugar free syrup, all in a vitamix.

For some reason, it keeps separating. I’ll have liquid, and a hard glob of plain, finely crushed ice.

I’ve made smoothies in it for ages and never had this problem.

Suggestions appreciated. I’m new to coffee so it could be something really stupid.

Replies

• goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Not a barista but I do know that frappuccinos involve some kind of syrup base that, I believe, acts as an emulsifier or something like that to make the frappe do what it do. It's different from the flavor syrup - that's why you can't just ask for blended iced coffee and knock a dollar off your frappe.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    You might try adding one of the common emulsifiers in a small amount, like lecithin, carageenan, guar gum . . . .

Best if there's some place near you with bulk sales, to try a small amount.

The only emulsifier I routinely have around is egg (whites), which I wouldn't use in something hot, but that could work in a cold drink if you aren't worried about the (low probability) salmonella or other food poisoning risk.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    You might try adding one of the common emulsifiers in a small amount, like lecithin, carageenan, guar gum . . . .

Best if there's some place near you with bulk sales, to try a small amount.

The only emulsifier I routinely have around is egg (whites), which I wouldn't use in something hot, but that could work in a cold drink if you aren't worried about the (low probability) salmonella or other food poisoning risk.

They make pasturized egg white in a carton. I'd imagine that would reduce the risk even further. Not impossible but danged unlikely.

FWIW I regularly use them in cold drinks/coffee. You can't taste them and the only texture change I am aware of is that if I blend the drink super hard there's a little froth.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,514 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I guess I just need to experiment some more.

I seem to be back in an icy drink phase.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I add a protein powder to mine and it helps although does add calories. If I want to add flavor I’ll add chocolate or vanilla, if I just want the coffee flavor I add collagen peptides
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Adding an emulsifier as suggested above would help...but do a LITTLE at a time to figure out what amount works. Xanthum gum for example makes things THICC and well...gummy if you add too much (think sticky ice cream).

You could also use something with fat in it to help with the emulsification.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Thought—- Vitamix=super mixer. My blender is not as strong, so no experience, but I’ve read that you can make nut flour better in lesser blenders. They said that the super blenders tend to go from Flour to butter too quickly. I wonder if the super blender tends to act like a centrifuge, separating liquid from solid.
    Another thought—— mix all but coffee, does it separate? All but syrup, does it separate? All but milk, does it separate?
    If that works, just stir in the last ingredient?
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    In Costa they always put a powder in their frappe/frostino drinks which I assume helps to thicken it. You can buy big bags of frappe powder in various flavours on Amazon although I've never tried them myself.