Random, but I was thinking... why don't they make SAVORY pop tarts???

pizza pop tarts would actually be pretty good

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    jycnoll70ozt.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i think they call those hot pockets or pizza rolls LOL
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I don't disagree often but had to @Suzysunshine99, that green ranch dressing poptart....just ewww. :)

I used to like the cinnamon sugar ones. But don't buy them anymore. Things I like disappear like magic. :(
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    edited February 2021
    jycnoll70ozt.png

🤢 (Non disagree clicker)

• SuzySunshine99
    Haha, sorry guys, the ranch pop tarts aren’t real, just an internet joke. Just trying to prove why savory pop tarts are a bad idea. :p
  • ReenieHJ
    Phew, some things are just meant to be. Poptarts should always be sweet, hummus should always be savory. I know they make chocolate hummus but not very open to trying it.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Phew, some things are just meant to be. Poptarts should always be sweet, hummus should always be savory. I know they make chocolate hummus but not very open to trying it.

Pumpkin spice "hummus" is a thing too. Some things just get carried away..

I'll go so far as to admit that chocolate and tahini are a delicious combo (chocolate tahini brownies *swoon*), so it might be ok in hummus, but...

I think it needs to drop the "hummus" label at that point and just be called a dip.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Tbh I've tried the chocolate hummus, it really isn't bad. I don't buy it regularly or anything, but it was on sale at the grocery once so I got it just to see what it's like. I dipped pretzels in it, it was good.

If you're trying to imagine how it tastes, first imagine hummus without garlic in it, I think that might be what's throwing you off. Obviously they don't put garlic in the chocolate hummus, LOL.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member
    On the chocolate hummus...don't people make black bean brownies?

I thought savory pop tarts sound good. Hummus in them is one idea. What about a peanut sauce with vegetables? Or a cheese/spinach one? Don't they already make cream cheese poptarts? If not, they should.

Except they'd have to be refrigerated, probably. There must be some logistical reason.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Chickpeas are really neutral, and I've used them in smoothies for protein at times (white beans tend to be smoother, and silky tofu even better), so I can see them going fine with chocolate. I haven't tried tahini with anything sweet, but I also put sesame seeds in smoothies often enough, and there's no reason it wouldn't go as well as any other nut or seed butter. The issue is olive oil (if used) and of course garlic and the various spices. It makes more sense if you think through that they wouldn't be used, but they make it hummus to me, and are what makes hummus delicious (esp the garlic).

My resistance to chocolate hummus is more just because it would serve no point for me -- I dip veg in hummus (or on rare occasion bread) or eat it with other savory food and chocolate hummus wouldn't work for that. Even if I think of dipping fruit, the texture seems off for that.

I don't like pop tarts (I assume, I didn't like them as a kid), but savory seems workable -- anything that would work in a steamed bun or empanada or any other hand pie should work okay. Just don't frost it!
  • SuzySunshine99

I thought savory pop tarts sound good. Hummus in them is one idea. What about a peanut sauce with vegetables? Or a cheese/spinach one? Don't they already make cream cheese poptarts? If not, they should.

Except they'd have to be refrigerated, probably. There must be some logistical reason.

Yeah, I think you hit on the biggest hurdle. Most savory flavors people are suggesting would require refrigeration/freezer. I’m betting the Pop Tart supply pipeline is not set up for that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,935 Member

Yeah, I think you hit on the biggest hurdle. Most savory flavors people are suggesting would require refrigeration/freezer. I’m betting the Pop Tart supply pipeline is not set up for that.

Seeing as how the whole world collapsed when we switched from using industrial-sized toilet paper rolls to home-sized toilet paper rolls, I'm not really confident we're up to tackle that big of a hurdle.
  • ReenieHJ
    edited February 2021
    Ok, you piqued my interest adding pretzels and chocolate hummus together. Is there any way to add peanut butter with that? :)

I've had black bean brownies but you'd never know that was an ingredient. They're so rich and yummy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member

I do! The texture is different (more gooey) than regular brownies, but they are quite good.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Chickpeas are really neutral, and I've used them in smoothies for protein at times (white beans tend to be smoother, and silky tofu even better), so I can see them going fine with chocolate. I haven't tried tahini with anything sweet, but I also put sesame seeds in smoothies often enough, and there's no reason it wouldn't go as well as any other nut or seed butter. The issue is olive oil (if used) and of course garlic and the various spices. It makes more sense if you think through that they wouldn't be used, but they make it hummus to me, and are what makes hummus delicious (esp the garlic).

My resistance to chocolate hummus is more just because it would serve no point for me -- I dip veg in hummus (or on rare occasion bread) or eat it with other savory food and chocolate hummus wouldn't work for that. Even if I think of dipping fruit, the texture seems off for that.

I don't like pop tarts (I assume, I didn't like them as a kid), but savory seems workable -- anything that would work in a steamed bun or empanada or any other hand pie should work okay. Just don't frost it!

I made a "cookie dough dip" with chickpeas one time. It wasn't a raging success, but it wasn't because the chickpeas were too savory. That part worked out just fine.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I could imagine it working if it was like a cheez it tasting crust that toasts up but not sure what the filling would be. Maybe like pepperoni style meat and fake cheese that doesn't have to be kept cold? LOL Kind of sounds gross when I imagine it now though.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Ok, you piqued my interest adding pretzels and chocolate hummus together. Is there any way to add peanut butter with that? :)

I've had black bean brownies but you'd never know that was an ingredient. They're so rich and yummy!

I had chocolate chickpea butter and it was delicious. It had the texture of peanut butter because it had some added sesame seed butter. Not a fan of the texture of hummus though. I would rather use chocolate nut butter.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Meat pasties. A UP thing (Upper Peninsula Michigan). Sort-of chubby savory pop tarts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Because Hot Pockets already exist.

Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles too...........