Random, but I was thinking... why don't they make SAVORY pop tarts???

Options
2»

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Because Hot Pockets already exist.

Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles too...........

Hot pockets are microwave... not toaster. I LOVE toaster scrambles and toaster streduel, but pop tarts would be different idk
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably the sugar in the pop-tart filling that makes them shelf-stable, along with the low moisture content of the dough. So a real savory pop tart would probably need quite a dry pastry, and the filling would need to be extremely salty, probably unpleasantly so - like a Vegemite or something along those lines. Or maybe Spam?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably the sugar in the pop-tart filling that makes them shelf-stable, along with the low moisture content of the dough. So a real savory pop tart would probably need quite a dry pastry, and the filling would need to be extremely salty, probably unpleasantly so - like a Vegemite or something along those lines. Or maybe Spam?

Or the cheese from things like ritz crackers.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    On the chocolate hummus...don't people make black bean brownies?

I thought savory pop tarts sound good. Hummus in them is one idea. What about a peanut sauce with vegetables? Or a cheese/spinach one? Don't they already make cream cheese poptarts? If not, they should.

Except they'd have to be refrigerated, probably. There must be some logistical reason.

Yeah, I got sucked into that once...someone was raving about some recipe they made on my MFP feed. I tried it and I was..not happy. The texture was just not right.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Because Hot Pockets already exist.

Pillsbury Toaster Scrambles too...........

Hot pockets are microwave... not toaster. I LOVE toaster scrambles and toaster streduel, but pop tarts would be different idk

Ohhh, I forgot about toaster streudel, with those little packets of frosting/glaze for thr top...I may have to pick some up this week. I haven't that those in a loooong time.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see Chicken Pot Pie Poptarts.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I'd like to see Chicken Pot Pie Poptarts.

that would actually be good... or chicken pot pie toaster strudel
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    They would also have to change the pastry...you wouldn't want their regular sweet pastry with chicken or pizza, right?

And they'd have to be thicker in order to get any real amount of chicken/cheese/sauce, etc in there? Would they still fit into pop-up toasters?

So, different pastry, refrigeration or freezing required, thicker product...the question is...would it still be a pop tart?

That's why I still say that Hot Pockets already fill this market.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    They would also have to change the pastry...you wouldn't want their regular sweet pastry with chicken or pizza, right?

And they'd have to be thicker in order to get any real amount of chicken/cheese/sauce, etc in there? Would they still fit into pop-up toasters?

So, different pastry, refrigeration or freezing required, thicker product...the question is...would it still be a pop tart?

kelloggs will think of something I'm sure
  • pancakerunner
    Options

Kellogg's DOES own cheez it, Austin brand and club crackers... so they could easily develop something
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

Kellogg's DOES own cheez it, Austin brand and club crackers... so they could easily develop something

Combo filling would be good in the pretzel poptart.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

Combo filling would be good in the pretzel poptart.

oh yes 100%! Here are all combos flavors:

Cheddar Cheese Pretzel.
    Pizzeria Pretzel.
    Pepperoni Pizza Cracker.
    Cheddar Cheese Cracker.
    Buffalo Blue Cheese Pretzel.
    Seven Layer Dip Tortilla.
    Sweet & Salty Caramel Crème Pretzel.
  • pancakerunner
    edited February 2021
    Options
    izjjaczwi0mn.png

like this
  • nookicky
    nookicky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    jycnoll70ozt.png

Look, I'm not here to start any drama (or maybe I am), but I would eat the hell out of these at least once.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    nookicky wrote: »
    jycnoll70ozt.png

Look, I'm not here to start any drama (or maybe I am), but I would eat the hell out of these at least once.

I love ranch... butttttt maybe a buffalo chicken ranch would be good?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    200 calories per pop tart...........................and I never just eat one out of a package.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    200 calories per pop tart...........................and I never just eat one out of a package.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

right? packages aren't even resealable so you gotta eat both :D
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I mean, chicken paste would fit in a regular-size Pop-Tart no problem. If you want chunks of something identifiable as meat, then yeah, you're gonna need a Hot Pocket. You're right about the pastry, though.
  • ekenney1962
    ekenney1962 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Ok, you piqued my interest adding pretzels and chocolate hummus together. Is there any way to add peanut butter with that? :)

I've had black bean brownies but you'd never know that was an ingredient. They're so rich and yummy!

If you don't like black beans you will taste them, that stuff is disgusting in my opinion