What are some good low-carb food?

I have been eating 1500 or under calories a day. But It seems almost 50% of the food I am consuming is high in carbohydrates.
Does anyone know any healthy low carb foods?

Thanks!

Replies

• amswein1
    amswein1 Posts: 3 Member
    Miracle noodles are fantastic ( if you can get over the taste) because they have no carbs. Raspberries are good, as well as celery, cheese, and meat.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Lean meat, eggs, veggies, tofu.
  • Nuts, lean meats, vegetables, many fruits, yogurts. I'm going lower carb and have cut out bread and pasta. I eat mostly Greek yogurt, lean meats, veggies, some cheeses, fruits, and nuts. I feel satisfied most of the day and I'm only eating 1220 calories a day.
  • missa3428
    missa3428 Posts: 114
    Nuts, lean meats, vegetables, many fruits, yogurts. I'm going lower carb and have cut out bread and pasta. I eat mostly Greek yogurt, lean meats, veggies, some cheeses, fruits, and nuts. I feel satisfied most of the day and I'm only eating 1220 calories a day.

DITTO
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Miracle noodles are fantastic ( if you can get over the taste) because they have no carbs. Raspberries are good, as well as celery, cheese, and meat.

I love miracle noodles. They taste fine if you rinse them in a colander with a lot of hot water, and then dry-fry them in a pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Mmmm. pad thai. we had some last night!

also...shrimp, lobster, scallops, salmon, ALL seafood. Eggs, chicken, meat. most dairy. lots of veggies. Quest protein bars. olive oil.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Meat
  • I find salads with a protein are filling and satisfying.

I make a vietnamese salad with lean pork or chicken, cilantro, chilli, carrot, bean sprouts and a very small amount of thin rice noodles (about 1/4 of a cup).
  • aubrie917
    aubrie917 Posts: 41 Member
    The only foods that aren't mostly carbs are meats/cheeses/yogurts. Some yogurts are actually high in carbs also. You should read the yogurts to be careful that they aren't mostly sugar if you plan to eat them because they might be backfiring. However, even if you're eating high carb foods, it might be fine...just make sure a lot of the carbs come from fiber or "slow" carbs such as veggies and stuff like that. Not all carbs are created equal. In other words, some carbs are good (like veggies and some fruits, beans, etc). Other carbs aren't so good (breads, etc). Hopefully this helps!
  • aubrie917
    aubrie917 Posts: 41 Member
    OH eggs too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,147 Member
    I always eat prime rib steaks when I don't won't carbs.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Definitely, whole grain cereals rolled oats or steel cut oats\
    whole wheat past , bread , brown/wild rice

A must lots and lots of fresh vegetables minimum 2 times daily, carrots, kale, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks , onions, garlic , celery, romaine lettuce, cabbage slaws, carrots, turnips, parsley radishes etc.
    limes and lemons in water,
    Fresh fruits , 3 servingsdaily, apples, peach, orange, banana, plum, cherries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, mango, pear cantaloupe etc.
    Beans and chickpeas and hummus for protein
    Lean meats.

Absolutely no prepackaged foods, they are full of salt additives and methol cellulose.
    The combination all of the above leads to a better running engine, less bouts of hunger, and weight loss.
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    There's nothing wrong with a 50/25/25 or 50/30/20 macro split. I'm a runner and I'm keeping to a split of 50/25/25. If you feel more comfortable lowering your carb intake there's plenty of good suggestions here and meal plans on the internet.
    The combination all of the above leads to a better running engine, less bouts of hunger, and weight loss.

The only thing that leads to weight loss is more calories out than in :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    meat, eggs, nuts , ....fruit is not low carb
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    No grain or rice is low carb. Check it out.
  • horsetrainer46
    horsetrainer46 Posts: 69 Member
    Not that I never fall off the wagon, but I try to keep it to fresh whole foods with no bread or pasta. I cut out the heavy carbs quite a while ago, and feel much better as result. Warning though, if you do this, you may get headaches and cravings. This should only last 3 to 4 days. Once you get it out of your system, you feel great. My shopping list consists or tons of or frozen fruit and veggies, Lots of fresh poultry, meat, seafood, and occassionally beans. Good fats like olive oil and avacados. For dairy, I try to only use unsweetened almond milk (I like the vanilla one) and I buy fat free greek yogurt and fat free cottage cheese. I pretty much only shop the outside aisles of the grocery store, with the exception of water, oatmeal, rice, quinoa or buckwheat and olive oil. The only convenience food I get is the best quality roast deli turkey I can find. I love food and especially high carb stuff! It helped me to recondition my brain to not think of food as an event, but just a necessity to reach my goals. Like putting gas in the car...you don't need all kinds of extra stuff in the gas or to overfill the tank. You just need the engine to run smooth and strong!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Fish, lean meats, eggs, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds.

When going for grain products, think 100% whole grain and less. Use low carb wraps instead of 2 pieces of bread for a low carb sandwich. Use more sauce and less pasta when you want pasta. A little brown rice, instead of a large serving of white rice. Thin crust pizza instead of thick crust.

Same with sugar - just use less.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Vegetables

Fruit

Eggs

Nuts

Pretty much what everyone else has suggested!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Definitely, whole grain cereals rolled oats or steel cut oats\
    whole wheat past , bread , brown/wild rice

A must lots and lots of fresh vegetables minimum 2 times daily, carrots, kale, arugula, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks , onions, garlic , celery, romaine lettuce, cabbage slaws, carrots, turnips, parsley radishes etc.
    limes and lemons in water,
    Fresh fruits , 3 servingsdaily, apples, peach, orange, banana, plum, cherries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, mango, pear cantaloupe etc.
    Beans and chickpeas and hummus for protein
    Lean meats.

Absolutely no prepackaged foods, they are full of salt additives and methol cellulose.

None of the things in your first list are low carb. Also, most fruit isn't low carb. Nor are many beans low carb.

If you want fruit, try melon or berries.

Otherwise, I concur with what many others have said. Meat, cheese, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds, eggs, and non-starcy vegetables are the best way to eat lower carb and make the carbs you do eat more meaningful.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    fish is low in calories and carbs, high in protein. If you look at my dinner last night I had 250 calories worth of sole for 48g protein which is pretty damn good.
  • Thanks everyone!