What are some good low-carb food?

2»

Replies

• TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    I have been eating 1500 or under calories a day. But It seems almost 50% of the food I am consuming is high in carbohydrates.
    Does anyone know any healthy low carb foods?

Thanks!

Take a look through my food diary for ideas. I consume 20-25 carbs a day. (Ignore last Saturday, please.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TitaniaEcks
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Nuts, lean meats, vegetables, many fruits, yogurts. I'm going lower carb and have cut out bread and pasta. I eat mostly Greek yogurt, lean meats, veggies, some cheeses, fruits, and nuts. I feel satisfied most of the day and I'm only eating 1220 calories a day.

this is perfect. kudos to you
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    it seems kind of silly to pass on fruit because it isn't low carb and miss out on all of the vitamins and minerals. like aubrie917 had touched on, not all carbs are created equal. take a look into simple vs complex carbs and how they impact your body.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    I agree. I try to stick with berries, honeydew, peaches, pears, fresh figs, apples, grapefruit, and other high fiber fruits. You can have fruit and be low carb, you just can't have a LOT of it :)
  • TitaniaEcks
    I agree. I try to stick with berries, honeydew, peaches, pears, fresh figs, apples, grapefruit, and other high fiber fruits. You can have fruit and be low carb, you just can't have a LOT of it :)
    That's all great except for the figs... figs are pretty high-sugar. Apples and pears are so-so.

I'd like to add to this list: cantaloupe, starfruit, papaya, guava, and nectarines. Guava is especially good because a huge chunk of its already-low carb count is fiber.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    A medium sized fresh fig has 8 net carbs. A cup of cantaloupe has 12.

Both are good, but never too much at one sitting.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Berries
    Eggs
    BACON
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    As an alternative to mashed potatoes; CAULIFLOWER MASH! Its soo good and very filling.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I have been eating 1500 or under calories a day. But It seems almost 50% of the food I am consuming is high in carbohydrates.
    Does anyone know any healthy low carb foods?

Thanks!

Take a look through my food diary for ideas. I consume 20-25 carbs a day. (Ignore last Saturday, please.)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/TitaniaEcks

Yikes - less than 500 calories a day?! There are probably better ways to keep your carbs low.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Salmon, Salami, cheese. typical keto style foods. Keep in mind that you don't need to be zero carb. If you can keep your carbs between 50-100 and workout while eating at a deficit the lbs melt away.
  • TitaniaEcks
    Yikes - less than 500 calories a day?! There are probably better ways to keep your carbs low.
    That's only on fast days, LOL. On feed days I consume a normal 1800 or so. Alas, MFP doesn't let you set separate daily goals for different days. I'm on a modified Intermittent Fasting diet.

My meals can be scaled up, you know. If you triple the size of my meals, you're still consuming about 70 carbs a day which is pretty good, and you're at 1500 calories or so.