Can I lose 12 pounds in 54 days?

Options
helaurin
helaurin Posts: 157 Member
Let's say I need to lose 12 pounds in the next 54 days (roughly 7.5 weeks). I'd need to consistently lose a little more than 1.5 pounds per week. If one goes by the concept of 3,500 calories = 1 pound, then I need to create a calorie deficit of about 780 calories per day.

Can I manage that just by diet & exercise?

Here's where I'm at:

Female
Nearly 59 years old
Short (5' 0")
Desk job, so mostly sedentary, working full-time. When not working, I tend to be doing a lot of driving of a child to/from a ton of appointments. So exercise is often something I have to "sneak" in or do more on weekends.

Exercise options are limited due to psoriatic arthritis, herniated discs in lower back and joint damage. I literally can't run, nor will my knee joints tolerate the rotational movement associated with bike riding.

I do have access to an elliptical and a treadmill. I find the elliptical is easier on my knees than the treadmill.

Most calorie calculators say that to just maintain my weight (not lose), that I should be eating about 1,400 calories per day.

I get that I can't just "not eat" the calories to create the calorie deficit, because that would put my calorie intake at an unsafe level. (1,400 minus 780 = 620 calories).

If 1,200 is considered the bottom "safe" level for calorie intake, which accounts for 200 calories of the deficit to be created, that still leaves 580 more calories I need to somehow burn. Looking at my Fitbit, I see that I took about 8,000 steps today, which got me about 400 calories burned. Using that as a basis, is it reasonable then to assume that if I could get to about 12,000 steps a day with a 1,200 calorie intake, that I MIGHT be able to reach that weight loss goal by day 54?

So yeah, I know this is going to be odd.... If I got this right..... to lose 12 pounds, I need to reduce my calorie intake to 1,200 per day and up my exercise to 12,000 steps per day in order to make my goal weight in the desired time.

Am I missing anything?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Why 12 and in 54 days?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• helaurin
    Options
    Basically, it boils down to a weight loss bet. I wasn't able to focus on diet/exercise as much as I should have been during the past couple of months, and now it's coming down to the wire as to whether or not it's even going to be possible.
  • WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh?
  • helaurin
    Options
    159 currently
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's not possible. I hope you're not losing anything big in the bet
  • helaurin
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    It's not possible. I hope you're not losing anything big in the bet
    . Couple hundred dollars 😟

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The good news is, now is a great time to focus on life long habits, rather than extreme measures to pursue unrealistic goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can increase your odds through glycogen/water depletion with a ketogenic diet. I am pretty lean and even i can lose 5 lbs of water weight. Just put carbs at 20-30g daily, with moderate protein and fats, and 3000-5000mg of sodium. That should take care of some weight.

And still runa deficit and use a food scale for accuracy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Psu has a point about glycogen/water depletion: You probably wouldn't need to lose the whole 12 pounds as fat. But I still agree with haitch, not worth the health risk.

At about your age & weight (59, somewhere in 150s pounds), I accidentally lost weight too fast for a while (because MFP underestimates my calorie needs, a somewhat rare thing). It was Not A Good Thing, even though I corrected quickly once I realized.
  • helaurin
    Options
    Accept losing the bet.

Eating 1200 cals and getting in 1200 steps will leave you with a too low calorie intake.

Low cals will lead to nutritional deficiencies, no matter how well you try to eat or supliment with vitamins etc.

Nutritional deficiencies, especially as a post menopausal woman can cause a number of problems, hair loss, brittle nails, etc. Health issues can also happen, bone and muscle loss come to mind as well as brain fog.

Think of how you want to enjoy playing with that grandchild (?) in years to come and how compromising your health may mean you can only sit on the sidelines.

Just not worth the bet in my opinion.

I’m older than you and wouldn’t have considered such an extreme plan.

Cheers, h.

Yep, that's what I was wondering, about the low calorie intake. I get that 1,200 calories is generally considered the minimum, but wasn't sure if that's the minimum net calories (after exercise) or just minimum intake (before considering exercise).

Not post menopausal yet. No signs of even being pre-menopausal. Doc says not to worry, I'm only turning 59 next month.

Yes, I adopted my eldest grandchild, so she's both my legal child and my biological grandchild. The youngest grandchild (age 4) is with her mother. I already find myself sometimes sitting on the sidelines for certain activities, due to the psoriatic arthritis and joint damage. :(
  • helaurin
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Psu has a point about glycogen/water depletion: You probably wouldn't need to lose the whole 12 pounds as fat. But I still agree with haitch, not worth the health risk.

At about your age & weight (59, somewhere in 150s pounds), I accidentally lost weight too fast for a while (because MFP underestimates my calorie needs, a somewhat rare thing). It was Not A Good Thing, even though I corrected quickly once I realized.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone losing weight too fast.... it's never been easy for me at all.
  • helaurin
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    You can increase your odds through glycogen/water depletion with a ketogenic diet. I am pretty lean and even i can lose 5 lbs of water weight. Just put carbs at 20-30g daily, with moderate protein and fats, and 3000-5000mg of sodium. That should take care of some weight.

I do use a nutritional food scale - I know that eyeballing my food doesn't work well (at least not for me). That 3,000 to 5,000mg of sodium seems high? Wouldn't more sodium equal more water retention?

I'm a little (or a lot) confused.... I thought ketogenic diets were supposed to be high on the fat, medium on the protein and extremely low on carbs?
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fitbit it tells you how much you burn every day
    It can be done
    I lose about 10-15lbs in a month when I kick *kitten* enough
    I burn on average sitting on my butt 2200-2400 calories a day
    If I toss in house cleaning and a workout and keeping busy I can easily burn more than 3000
    The smaller and less you weigh the less you will burn per day.
    You gotta weigh all your food
    Usually how it goes is depending on how many calories you burn a day you eat about 1000 less but never under 1200 for females, 1800 for males because you won't be eating enough.
    Progress is 80% what you eat, 20% comes from workouts
    Building muscle helps burn more fat.
    Drink your water and get stepping :wink:
    You can do it!

• helaurin
    Options
    I find that if I eat more than 1,500 calories a day, I either gain weight or maintain where I'm at. That's with me working (sitting), but also doing some household tasks, such as taking 3 dogs out, cleaning crates, refilling bowls, giving an elderly dog his medicine, feeding the rabbit, fish, cleaning the cat litterbox and feeding them, etc. I can do all that in about 600-700 steps, so it's not a lot of activity, but does take a bit of time.

I have no idea how you can burn 2,200 - 2,400 calories a day sitting on your butt, as you put it... like I said, I burn about 1,400 on a "normal" day.

However, I'm not going to give up. I know that if I do an hour walk, I can burn about 300 calories. And I know I need to drink more water, so that may help if I focus on that more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

I do use a nutritional food scale - I know that eyeballing my food doesn't work well (at least not for me). That 3,000 to 5,000mg of sodium seems high? Wouldn't more sodium equal more water retention?

I'm a little (or a lot) confused.... I thought ketogenic diets were supposed to be high on the fat, medium on the protein and extremely low on carbs?

Sodium doesn't work the same on ketogenic diets. You deplete glycogen/water from your muscles, which ends up reducing insulin and and electrolytes levels. You need high sodium to ensure balanced electrolytes and to prevent cramping.

The only thing needed to produce ketones and be ketogenic is carb restriction. I reduce my fats a bit and increase protein as protein is more important. It also satiates people more. There are actually several variations of ketogenic. The one your thinking is probably a modified ketogenic diet. For that one, you consume 5-10% of calories from calories, 20-30% protein and the rest fats with 3000mg sodium at least.

I run a cyclical ketogenic diet which incorporates carb refeeds every 12 days for 2 days to help aid gym performance.

To my point though, i just came back from vacation on Monday night. Tuesday morning I was 172.3. This morning i am 165.9. This is a way to help cheat the scale.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    helaurin wrote: »

I have no idea how you can burn 2,200 - 2,400 calories a day sitting on your butt, as you put it... like I said, I burn about 1,400 on a "normal" day.

@helaurin not sure how either but fitbit says I do!

Remember a person who weighs more burns more even just sitting around.
    I do spend a lot of my time at a desk myself typing/gaming/doing art and whatever

I scoop litter boxes and clean the house and cook and meal prep a lot too
    I have even been working on spring cleaning projects

I average around 5000-6500 steps on a lazy day when I don't workout
    My heart rate averages 85-110 when I am just sitting around relaxing
    This also depends on your calorie burn
    When I workout my HR can go from 110-180 depending on what I am doing
    I do Zumba a lot
    So my steps a day can go from 7500-10,000+ in a day on those days
    how I also get mega calorie burns when I do a workout

I am almost 230lbs now
    and I've lost almost 230lbs
    no surgery just kickin applesauce :wink:

Edit: Just checked Fitbit says I spend about 80% of my day in fat burn mode, so that could have something to do with it too =)