Interesting information visualizations about food

Options
lilyxxxz
lilyxxxz Posts: 12 Member
edited March 2021 in Food and Nutrition
I'm a master's student at Georgia Tech studying human-computer interaction. As I'm recently exploring MyFitnessPal community for a study project in a class, I think it will be nice for me to make a little contribution to the community. So I decided it will be a good idea to share some food-related works I found interesting when studying.
If someone finds them interesting too, I will try to update this thread :)

---
The Rhythm of Food
By Google News Lab and Truth & Beauty
http://rhythm-of-food.net
- Quoting one of its creators Stefaner here as an introduction: “Looking at shifting interest towards individual ingredients, dishes, and recipes over the years has been fascinating. More than 12 years of weekly Google Trends data supplied us with a rich dataset to explore food trend over the years. But the most interesting revelations happened when we looked at the seasonal rhythm of food in our radial charts. We immediately saw how each vegetable, fruit, dish or drink had its own signature seasonality pattern — some are tied to natural seasons, some to special holidays, some are popular all year long.”
47uwayldwfu2.png

---
Sugar Quiz: How much sugar is in our food?
By Claudine Ryan, Ben Spraggon and Colin Gourlay
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-17/quiz-what-does-six-teaspoons-of-sugar-look-like/7086790?nw=0
- Learn about sugar in your food by taking small fun quizzes
kyhpzq370m5a.png

---
The Food Capitals of Instagram
by Vicke Cheun, Hannah Smith, Richard Westenra, Bridget Randolph
- Discover the popularity of the world's favorite foods as tagged on Instagram
qlwgb7jiwfdm.png

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I found that fascinating and may or may not have spent a lot of time playing with the year clock search, trying to predict where in the year the clock would peak when I picked a random food! 😂

I’d definitely be interested to see further updates as you find new information. Especially about food changes over time, food history and causes for change has always been fascinating for me.
  • lilyxxxz
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Updates :)

---
    Is Sushi ‘Healthy’? What About Granola? Where Americans and Nutritionists Disagree
    by Kevin Quealy and Margot Sanger-Katz
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/05/upshot/is-sushi-healthy-what-about-granola-where-americans-and-nutritionists-disagree.html
    - The team surveyed Americans and a panel of nutrition experts about which foods they thought were good or bad for you. The results suggest a surprising diversity of opinion, even among experts.
    8h1h8a0a0x5i.png

---
    Food Nutrition Visualization for Diabetes
    by Olivia, Guojun and Ting at PU
    https://va.tech.purdue.edu/PacificVis/
    - The team choose 93 types of foods recommended for people with diabetes (relatively low GI level) and visualize their nutrition data. You can read the static view and hover on it to get more information.
    *The search function for GI level checker doesn't seem to work tho :(
    aqxs4at3ceik.png
  • lilyxxxz
    Options
    I found that fascinating and may or may not have spent a lot of time playing with the year clock search, trying to predict where in the year the clock would peak when I picked a random food! 😂

I’d definitely be interested to see further updates as you find new information. Especially about food changes over time, food history and causes for change has always been fascinating for me.

Glad you find it fascinating! That one is also my favorite. I haven't seen many information visualization works about food history or food trends, but I will definitely look for more :)