Too Much on the Bottom and Not Enough in the Middle: Nanaimo Bar Outrage

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
I got a big laugh out of this story. I've made Nanaimo bars once and only once - too dangerously yummy!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/12/world/canada/Nanaimo-Bar-Outrage-Canada.html?smid=em-share

An online post of a Nanaimo bar photo swiftly prompted criticism in Canada and discussion about the treat’s ideal proportions.

This week was the first anniversary of the official declaration that the coronavirus was a global pandemic. But a number of Canada Letter readers have recently emailed about a very different issue: the correct layer proportions of Nanaimo bars.

It all started with a photo in an Instagram post from The Times’s Cooking account of an example of Canada’s favorite no-bake squares. “Canadians, this one’s for you,” it read.

But many Canadians were quick to point out that it had way too thick of a base layer — a mixture of butter, cocoa powder, nuts, shredded coconut, graham cracker crumbs and lots of butter. The yellow middle layer — lots more butter, more sugar, Bird’s custard powder and heavy cream — was mingy, the critics said. And instead of being as smooth as an ice rink, the melted top layer sported a ripple pattern.

“These are an insult to Canadians everywhere,” one person commented. “You’d be laughed out of the bake sale with these counterfeits,” offered another.

1m4vx8st6d8u.png

[snip]

...Daniel Bender, a historian who teaches food studies at the University of Toronto, found the extent of the reaction this week extraordinary.

“I can see why people felt like, well, there wasn’t enough custard,” he said. “But it’s probably more interesting about why we actually got so upset about it.”

His theory: “It was a bit of a mixture of being pleased that the Americans are noticing us and also being delighted when they got it wrong. There’s nothing better than when the Americans misunderstand Canadians.”

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    That's hilarious!

Gotta say, through, I'm USA-ian, and that photo doesn't even look like a Nanaimo bar to me. I'd speculate that it's because I'm Canada-adjacent, in Michigan . . . but so is New York.

It looks like some kind of weird brownie, only too dry.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Ok, I’m just south of Nanaimo in Victoria, we laughed at the TV news report, didn’t bother to look up the full thing on line.

They are pathetic looking for a Nanaimo Bar, but interesting as a dessert bar.

I would eat one and enjoy it as long as I hadn’t bought it as a Nanaimo bar. When I get those, Nanaimo Bars, it is because I am wanting that particular consistency and flavour profile, not something similar. (I could really get into proportions and consistency but would bore the world to death)

I know Bird’s Custard Powder well and wouldn’t equate it with Nanaimo Bars.

I made them many moons ago but gave up as most bakeries here sell their version. Some I like better than others.

Fun topic.
    Cheers, h.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    I’m in the UK and have absolutely no idea what any of this means! And what’s a Graham cracker - is that like a Jacobs Cream Cracker? Or is it like a digestive biccie?
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Being from the UK but living in Canada I equate a graham cracker to a good old McVitie’s Digestive. (I don’t think the digestive is quite as sweet.)
    Which luckily I can get here.

Cheers, h.

• hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I’m in the UK and have absolutely no idea what any of this means! And what’s a Graham cracker - is that like a Jacobs Cream Cracker? Or is it like a digestive biccie?

A Graham (pronounced "Gram") cracker is like a thin, slightly soggy digestive biscuit. I'm in the UK and had a US-based friend bring me some over. They're not all that, tbh.

To the OP - as I say, I'm British, and they look nothing like to me! I thought Nanaimo bars were supposed to be gooey and almost impossible to eat without making a mess!!! (I really need to try one someday - if I can find authentic-enough-without the nuts.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options

Wait, what?

Graham crackers aren't indispensable as a food, to me (as a USA-ian).

But if you in the UK don't have Graham crackers, how do you make S'Mores? (Or do you?) And what if you're making some kind of cold pie that we USA-ians use Graham cracker crust for, like custard pies, ice cream pies, etc.? Or do you not do that? Do you not have seven-layer bars?

Just in case:

S'Mores = A fresh-toasted marshmallow and a chunk of chocolate bar between two Graham crackers.

Graham cracker crust = crushed Graham crackers, butter, and sugar pressed into a pie plate to make a crust for (usually) some kind of unbaked pie. Chocolate wafer cookies are used in a similar way to make a chocolate crust.

Seven layer bars = a bar cookie made by layering in a pan melted butter, crushed Graham crackers, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, chopped walnuts, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut shreds, then baking. There are variations, but this is the basic.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Ann, we use digestive biscuits and make all kinds of no bake crusts, cakes, etc, with them when needed. They come plain, or with a milk or dark chocolate topping. Very versatile, and go great with cheese- the plain not chocolate, as they are not very sweet.
    Although available up in Canada I have never bought Graham crackers.

Oh, @hmaddpear, Nanaimo Bars are firm, not soggy at all (not even the custard) and the chocolate on top is hard/brittle.
    If you have ever had a no bake digestive cake the base is similar to that.

Cheers, h.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Those proportions are waaay off. That would never pass as a Nanaimo bar here in Canada! 😆
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Now I want a good Nanaimo bar. 😐
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what this all is about * goes to munch on liquorice*
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Yeah that doesn't look like any Nanaimo bar I have ever had. Besides the ridiculously thick bottom layer, why is the chocolate rippled? It looks like a brownie from the top.

Also - if you don't have graham crackers how do you make cheesecake crust?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    hmaddpear wrote: »

A Graham (pronounced "Gram") cracker is like a thin, slightly soggy digestive biscuit. I'm in the UK and had a US-based friend bring me some over. They're not all that, tbh.

To the OP - as I say, I'm British, and they look nothing like to me! I thought Nanaimo bars were supposed to be gooey and almost impossible to eat without making a mess!!! (I really need to try one someday - if I can find authentic-enough-without the nuts.)

You are right that graham crackers are not all that - ON THEIR OWN. However, they are an indispensable part of many recipes, as Ann said. In addition to her list, my rum ball recipe calls for crushed 'Nilla Wafers, which have artificial flavor, so I use graham crackers instead.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Alright you Canadians (or Canada-adjacent), where are YOUR recipes? I used this once, and it was delicious, but from their picture it looks like the proportions were wrong:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213587/easy-nanaimo-bars/

1bjgd71776yx.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,348 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Wait, what?

But if you in the UK don't have Graham crackers, how do you make S'Mores? (Or do you?) And what if you're making some kind of cold pie that we USA-ians use Graham cracker crust for, like custard pies, ice cream pies, etc.? Or do you not do that? Do you not have seven-layer bars?

That whole paragraph was in a completely foreign language to me! 🤣 I’ve never even heard of S’Mores! Or an ice cream pie. Wow! I’ve made Baked Alaska - don’t know if that’s similar?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Hmm - I pronounce it "gray-(h)am" - two syllables - silent H. (I'm Scottish (background) and Graham is my mothers maiden name :smiley: )
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,515 Member
    Options
    OT but if you like linguistic entertainment, ask a southerner to pronounce “iron” and then watch their face break out in puzzlement. We can say it when we don’t think about it, but when we do, our head explodes.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Wait, what?

That whole paragraph was in a completely foreign language to me! 🤣 I’ve never even heard of S’Mores! Or an ice cream pie. Wow! I’ve made Baked Alaska - don’t know if that’s similar?

Baked Alaska is not at all similar to an ice cream pie. Both can be good, though. I guess they might be similar if one put meringue on the pie, but the meringue and cake sort of insulate the ice cream in the Baked Alaska, and meringue on a pie plus the pie crust might not work as well, dunno.

Apparently each of us is likely to miss out a bit on desserts from other countries, whether Nanaimo bars or S'Mores.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »

Hmm - I pronounce it "gray-(h)am" - two syllables - silent H. (I'm Scottish (background) and Graham is my mothers maiden name :smiley: )

I've always heard the "gram" pronunciation here in Michigan, but we also say "WhineCha . . ." ("Why don't you. . ."), "OwOhNo." ("I don't know."), "JeetYet?" ("Did you eat yet?"), and more.

I really don't know how people cope with this nonsense, if English is not their first language.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    OT but if you like linguistic entertainment, ask a southerner to pronounce “iron” and then watch their face break out in puzzlement. We can say it when we don’t think about it, but when we do, our head explodes.

"Arn"?

Here, mostly "EyeUrn".

(Still OT.)
  • kshama2001
    Options

We're both from Massachusetts. When my partner was having problems pronouncing "Kamala" and "Comma-la" wasn't helping, I told him to say "karma" with a Boston accent plus "la." :lol: