Calculating Calories Per Miles Walked -- Need Help in 2021

Options
AudreyPriceAz
AudreyPriceAz Posts: 19 Member
edited March 2021 in Getting Started
I did search. I found stuff from 2016 so I'm asking for an answer that is relevant in 2021...

I just downloaded this app last night and it wanted ME to calculate the calories burned walking 30 minutes. I thought that was the app's job to tell me how much that'd be lol.

I have a course around the house I found gives me 2500 steps in half an hour. At 5'2 I figure that counts as a mile with a little wiggle room. So my routine has been to turn on the timer for 30 minutes and walk til it goes off. Then repeat up to 2.5 miles, 3 miles, or 5 miles, depending on what time it is, what I have to do, etc. I am disciplined enough I do at least 1 mile a day regardless. I work so sectioning out a whole 2 and a half hours of down time is hard but I can pop in periodic half hour walks.

The app doesn't really explain how to do that so I'm hoping someone can give me the (right) answer.

My current weight is 147.4
I'm 57/F
I'm 5 ft 2

So how many calories am I burning walking 1 mile in a half an hour?

My goal is 2-3lbs a week gone & 105 buy June/July

When I get to 120ish then I'll incorporate the toning and exercise but if I did that now I'd probably pass out and die. 😁

Thanks!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you will not be 105 by july. so, lets get that notion out of your head right now.

there is no way to accurately tell the calorie loss. any and everything will be an ESTIMATE. 1 mile in a half hour is a pretty slow pace. up the intensity, and it will be more. For me... i might give it 100 calories? and i wouldn't eat all that back. honestly, at that pace i wouldn't eat any back. but until you learn your body, try eating back about half.

mfp depends on you to enter in the time and intensity of your workout. How else is it supposed to know. You can attach a fitness tracker, but even those are just estimates. I have a fitbit and FOR ME.... it is reasonably accurate but it does estimate on the high side. Sync a tracker with mfp and you wont have to enter anything.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss goal is far too harsh - don't risk a crash and burn. Set far more reasonable expectations now.
    Try to make the process as easy as possible to help sustainability. In two years time it won't matter how fast you get to goal but it will matter enornously that you did!

Don't wait to start "toning and exercise" - start healthy habits now and not some time in the future. Remember that exercise is not intended to boost your rate of loss. It's supposed to be calorie neutral if you use this site as designed. Just like your car - do more and you need more fuel.

Here is a walking calculator I use, select the net calorie option.
    https://exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs

I would try and get your pace up from your current 2mph to get more benefit from your time and your walking.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A mile in a half hour would be a super slow mile - 2 miles per hour. Just a bit of trivia, traffic signals are supposed to be set to allow slow and elderly people who can only walk at 2 mph enough time to cross. I’m guessing that if you are deliberately walking for exercise as opposed to ambling slowly, you are walking faster than this. For most people, a relatively alert walk is about 3 mph, and a fast walk is about 4 mph. You’re petite so it may be a little slower.

You can enter 30 minutes of walking at whatever speed you choose into the MFP app and it will calculate an estimated calorie burn for you, based on your current weight. Be warned that it tends to overestimate, so keep an eye on your weight to be sure you are losing as expected if you eat back your calories.

The rule of thumb for a safe maximum rate of weight loss is no more than 1% of your current weight per week, so for you that would be a pound and a half. Three pounds and you risk muscle loss, hair loss, and other unfortunate side effects. I know it’s boring but you have your whole life ahead of you, it took you a while to gain the weight, it will take a while to lose it.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Well...taking a real life example from this morning. I burned 131 calories by walking 6.25 miles in just a few minutes under 2 hours.

I’m 2 years older than you and 2 inches shorter, and a bit lighter at 118lbs but it seems to me that even 100 cals per hour would be a bit optimistic. 🤷‍♀️

Edit to add that I’m an idiot! I took the calories above from the wrong walk today! The 131 was actually from the 35 minute walk with the dog at lunchtime, not the longer walk this morning!

The true calories for the 6.25 mile was 565 cals. I’ve confused myself so I’m just going to leave that there for you to draw your own conclusions as to cals over time/distance! 😳
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I found quite a few calorie estimators online with a simple google search. They all seem to yield similar results. I let my fitness watch just track my steps and it automatically syncs with MFP so I don't enter it as exercise per directly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I did search. I found stuff from 2016 so I'm asking for an answer that is relevant in 2021...

I just downloaded this app last night and it wanted ME to calculate the calories burned walking 30 minutes. I thought that was the app's job to tell me how much that'd be lol.

I have a course around the house I found gives me 2500 steps in half an hour. At 5'2 I figure that counts as a mile with a little wiggle room. So my routine has been to turn on the timer for 30 minutes and walk til it goes off. Then repeat up to 2.5 miles, 3 miles, or 5 miles, depending on what time it is, what I have to do, etc. I am disciplined enough I do at least 1 mile a day regardless. I work so sectioning out a whole 2 and a half hours of down time is hard but I can pop in periodic half hour walks.

The app doesn't really explain how to do that so I'm hoping someone can give me the (right) answer.

My current weight is 147.4
    I'm 57/F
    I'm 5 ft 2

So how many calories am I burning walking 1 mile in a half an hour?

My goal is 2-3lbs a week gone & 105 buy June/July

When I get to 120ish then I'll incorporate the toning and exercise but if I did that now I'd probably pass out and die. 😁

Thanks!

I'm just curious where you were at in the app where it was asking you for calorie burn and it was providing nothing?

Ditto's to using the link in a comment, use the NET option when you log on MFP.
    Look at the gross if curious what you burned in that chunk of time in total.

And huge emphasis to what has been stated - don't attempt that weight loss rate, you'll regret that sooner and later.
    Don't have goal weight or you'll just stress yourself out.
    Do start body weight resistance training now, not after you've already lost some muscle mass, which many find about impossible to put back on with what they are willing to do.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I don't use the app, I use the desktop version, but I suppose it's similar. Go to the Exercise tab. On your Exercise Diary, under Cardiovascular, click on "Add Exercise". In the Search box, type "walking". It'll give you several different speeds, pick the one closest to what you did. Then it'll show a box in front of "How long?". Fill in the minutes. Click on the green button "Add Exercise" and it's done.

You don't need any extra calculations, MFP does them for you. No need to complicate what's simple.

Edited to add: Considering your pace, I'd choose the entry "Walking, 18.5 mins per km, slow pace". With time and practice, you can be sure your pace will increase. :) Best wishes to you!
  • AudreyPriceAz
    Options
    Thanks.

So on the calories burned it's the exercise link when you put in the time and it said calories burned. I think it said a reasonable average is 100 burned per mile.

I just went with that and will be updating the log thing.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

So on the calories burned it's the exercise link when you put in the time and it said calories burned. I think it said a reasonable average is 100 burned per mile.

I just went with that and will be updating the log thing.

Hmm, my exercise options look a bit different. When I add an exercise and enter "walking", I have to choose a pace and enter minutes performed, then it gives me a calorie estimate so I don't put the calories myself. There's no option for me to enter the distance. If I take your example and select "walking, slow place" (2mph) I get 70 calories for 30 minutes.
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    For me, it will give 65 calories for 30 minutes, but that estimate varies from person to person because it accounts for height and weight. I use the metric system, that's why mine is in kms instead of miles.

Here's what mine looks like:

1vehzccm2gjj.jpg
  • AudreyPriceAz
    Options
    Yes...that's it. It wasn't doing it initially, but it seems to be doing it now. Remember, I just started this on Sunday night so I'm learning how it all works...but this one seems to have worked itself out.

thanks!