Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Gaining Weight and Body Building
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Should I continue loosing weight or rather start building muscles?

jmgawecki1jmgawecki1 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
Hello everyone.

In the past 14-15 months I have lost 30 kg, from 103 to 73. I am 1.79m, barely any muscles I have apart of essential once to sustain life functions haha.

I still feel like I have more or less 4 maybe 5 kg to lose, but at this point, I find it almost impossible. Diet around 1500 kcal sometimes 1800 kcal, nearly everyday walking, bike twice a week, slow running 3,4 times a week and for the past month, I have lost as little as 300g of body weight. Not gonna lie, this month I had few cheat days and I drunk alcohol once.

Most of the time I follow the paleo diet, high fat, moderate proteins, and carbs.

Let me share images of my posture:

The first image shows my posture when I sit:
hg5pdcphqm6o.png

The second one shows my morning posture when I tense my muscles:
lco5i1eymbmt.png

I also have some extra loose skin that I haven't figure out quite yet how to get rid off. That image was taken when I was on all fours, phone on the ground.
kkslyggbfcx5.jpg

What are your suggestions?
Shall I keep losing weight? Or shall I rather start gaining muscles. I can tell you from years of experience that my metabolism allows me to gain muscles very slowly. I am afraid that when I start gaining muscles, I will gain fat pretty quickly too. Any suggestions based on personal experience that is accepted by today's science? I will appreciate it very much!

Thank you.

Replies

• davew0000davew0000 Member Posts: 82 Member Member Posts: 82 Member
    Congratulations on your progress. That’s a phenomenal effort.

My wife has some lose skin and it can create the impression she’s carrying more fat than she is. Your case seems borderline to me, although I’m new to this. I guess the key thing to have in mind that you can’t gain weight without gaining fat, so if you have in mind “running a bulk” you have to be comfortable with that.

I’d be interested to see others’ responses.
  • wiigelecwiigelec Member Posts: 481 Member Member Posts: 481 Member
    Are you lifting weights or doing any form of resistance training? How much protein are you eating?
  • ChieflrgChieflrg Member Posts: 8,818 Member Member Posts: 8,818 Member
    Depends more on you and what you want.

It is certainly reasonable to add mass. It is also reasonable to maintain or lose the 5kg(reasonable goal).

I would lean towards whatever you feel adhearance would be intact best.

I would suggest resistance training regardless. A hypertrophy focused program would be a appropriate choice for all three options.

If you are novel to training any program would be acceprable and I really don't care as long as you are at the very least performing the recommended guidelines for resistance training.

As far as your response to previous training I would hazard your "slow muscle gain" had less to do with your metabolism and more to do with the stimulus dosed.
    edited March 25
  • LisaGetsMovingLisaGetsMoving Member Posts: 604 Member Member Posts: 604 Member
    I would start the strength training now and attempt to build more muscle. Switch from measuring weight on a scale, to measuring body fat percentage with an emphasis on creating muscle even if the process is slow. More muscle will help you burn more calories which will help you maintain a lot easier.
  • jmgawecki1jmgawecki1 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Hey all,

thanks for your answers.

I suppose the best I can do is resistance training, keeping some cardio, and keeping a calorie level as it is right now (1500-1800kcal)?

Like I mentioned before, losing weight at this point is nearly impossible.

I usually eat from 20 to 25 grams of proteins per meal (5 meals a day), mainly from salmon, eggs, chicken, and white fish, sometimes lamb, beef, very rarely dairy. I am low on carbs, they come from carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, onions any type of vegetables. For fats avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, salmon, beef, eggs, occasionally butter, and bacon.

I'd like to also mention that I kept resistance training for nearly 10-11 months. Last 4-5 months I simply had no strength and time. My educated guess is, Paleo diet and significant lack of carbs influenced that. But Paleo (quasi Paleo in fact) is my personal choice not for muscles but for my brain and heart and I'm not willing to give up on that.

But I am willing to introduce some sort of sweet potatoes, quinoa, etc. but only an essential amount. Any thoughts on that from a training perspective?

Thank you for advising me!
    edited March 26
  • heybalesheybales Member Posts: 18,734 Member Member Posts: 18,734 Member
    Bad calorie level for level of activity.
    You have small enough amount to lose to healthy weight that 250 cal deficit is reasonable.
    You attempting unreasonable is causing the issues now.

You can keep losing weight, but you can also make it extremely stressful on your body at the rate you are attempting.
    1500 would be about a 500 deficit from a SEDENTARY level of activity.
    But you are far from sedentary, therefore your attempted deficit is even more.
    You are likely slowly gaining stress-induced water weight.
    Your daily movement has likely been slowed down in ways you don't even see. Possibly even metabolism at this point.
    And your workouts probably suck compared to what they could be - you can't even compare in this state.

Paleo is fine for short cardio and strength training. Not endurance cardio you aren't doing.
    But you need to eat more of it, and carbs will help. Figure that out and you'll benefit.
    Insulin is good for muscle building after all.
    Keep at the tweaks.
    edited March 26
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,846 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,846 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Bad calorie level for level of activity.
    You have small enough amount to lose to healthy weight that 250 cal deficit is reasonable.
    You attempting unreasonable is causing the issues now.

You can keep losing weight, but you can also make it extremely stressful on your body at the rate you are attempting.
    1500 would be about a 500 deficit from a SEDENTARY level of activity.
    But you are far from sedentary, therefore your attempted deficit is even more.
    You are likely slowly gaining stress-induced water weight.
    Your daily movement has likely been slowed down in ways you don't even see. Possibly even metabolism at this point.
    And your workouts probably suck compared to what they could be - you can't even compare in this state.

Paleo is fine for short cardio and strength training. Not endurance cardio you aren't doing.
    But you need to eat more of it, and carbs will help. Figure that out and you'll benefit.
    Insulin is good for muscle building after all.
    Keep at the tweaks.
    A fact that many keteors and paleo people overlook.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sportertje354Sportertje354 Member, Premium Posts: 37 Member Member, Premium Posts: 37 Member
    Good job on losing the weight

Additional some of the good advice above, take a look at this video to consider:

Pro cyclists eat plenty of carbs, and can be pretty skinny, because they burn so much, can see the same with triathletes

'barely any muscle' :
    What's your goal? Your body looks somewhat shaped as is, and wondering what you are focusing on, and how realistic that is or should be? Some body builders can have reverse anorexia iiuc, and there things such as body image issues, just something to be aware off

The exercise you are doing may be having more effect than you realize

You might want to check if you have gluten allergy or intolerance, and that's why avoiding carbs subconsciously maybe

edited April 9
  • taylorelise_27taylorelise_27 Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
    Start lifting Bud! Will help you burn more calories and you can start building muscle!
  • tsazanitsazani Member Posts: 696 Member Member Posts: 696 Member
    You need to eat CARBS and eat at your TDEE. Use MFP to calculate it. Say you want to maintain your weight. Or use Scooby's Workshop calculator.

I'm T2D. So I eat 40-80g of net carbs per day and I do inermittant fssting an two 48hr fasts per month. Why? I want to keep my blood insulin levels as LOW as possible.

You want to do the opposite. If you want to gain muscle mass.

You DON'T need to eat massive amounts of protein.