Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

vaccinations/health care and product promotions.

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    JoPat409 wrote: »
    Also can someone tell me the avg age of the covid deaths?? Last time I saw a statistic i believe it was very late 70s.

Anecdata, but: My sister is a doctor in ICU. She got vaccinated early on but was somewhat sceptical (to me, not to patients) in the middle. She had been horrified for weeks now with how younger and younher people have been dying in their ICU and all the young ones who die - virtually all of the young one who get there - are unvaxed.

Again - just anecdata, for those on the fence who think they are young and invulnerable.

Another (slightly related) point. When Canada mandated the vaccine for indoor dining etc., the vax rate in the 20-something crowd went up... and overall cases went significantly down. Another hint that people who are not getting vaccinated because "they personally don't need it" are the ones fuelling the spread at this stage.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options

The excerpt from the article below is interesting in regard to COVID vaccine religious objections. Apparently, a big objection is because many years ago, fetal cells were used in research.

My question: how many other important medicines were developed using fetal cells in research many years ago? Do these same people object to those meds?

https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/you-asked-we-answered-do-the-covid-19-vaccines-contain-aborted-fetal-cells

This article was originally published December 28, 2020. It was updated on March 2, 2021, to include information about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, and on August 18, 2021, to include a personal note from Dr. Lawler and further clarify some parts of the article that were causing confusion.

Question
    Do the COVID-19 vaccines contain aborted fetal cells?

Answer from infectious disease expert and practicing Catholic James Lawler, MD
    No, the COVID-19 vaccines do not contain any aborted fetal cells. However, fetal cell lines – cells grown in a laboratory based on aborted fetal cells collected generations ago – were used in testing during research and development of the mRNA vaccines, and during production of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.

Before we dig into the science, I’d like to have a word. It is true that decades ago, scientists decided to use fetal tissue to start the cell lines we use to test drugs today. However, the description of ongoing modern fetal tissue harvesting to create vaccines is dishonest sensationalism.

As a practicing Catholic, I think the moral balance of indirectly benefitting from an abortion that occurred 50 years ago in order to take a vaccine that will prevent further death in the community is a no-brainer – especially considering that so many of the over 620,000 American deaths have occurred in the most vulnerable and marginalized in our society. We need to focus on saving lives right now. We need to care for our neighbors.

The Vatican and bishops agree. The Vatican has issued clear guidance that permits Roman Catholics in good faith to receive COVID-19 vaccines that use fetal cell lines in development or production. Read the Vatican's comments on the morality of receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.