Sugar withdrawal headache

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
I'm trying to detox from refined sugar but I've got a bad headache, what will help? And please don't anyone say 'some sugar', I want to avoid sugar for my own reasons.

Replies

• shivles
    Options
    Bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to detox from refined sugar but I've got a bad headache, what will help? And please don't anyone say 'some sugar', I want to avoid sugar for my own reasons.

What About natural sugar?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wait, so sugar is toxic?
    I've been eating nectarines all morning. Am I poisoned now?
  • shivles
    Options

I was wondering what natural sugars would be most effective
  • shivles
    Options
    I never said sugar was toxic just that I'd like to avoid PROCESSED sugar, I eat plenty of fruit I just don't think the refined stuff is good for me and so want to stop eating it. Btw, there's no need to be rude.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I went through this process...I decided to tough it out because I didn't want to create another dependency. There maybe others who have a better solution than this. I wish you the best on this journey as I know it is tough to do.

8488541.png
  • taso42
    Options
    I never said sugar was toxic just that I'd like to avoid PROCESSED sugar, I eat plenty of fruit I just don't think the refined stuff is good for me and so want to stop eating it. Btw, there's no need to be rude.

When you say you are detoxing from something, that implies that the something is a toxic. Your first sentence begins with "I'm trying to detox from refined sugar".
  • shivles
    Options
    I think processed sugar is bad for me and am cutting it out, like I said though there's no need to be rude about other people's choices. I was merely asking what natural sugar would be best to shift the headache.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When going from "unhealthy" to "healthy" you will always have some discomfort the first couple of days. I had it when I started my journey 2.5 years ago. Just hang on, it will get better once your body is used to it. Just takes a few days to a week for most people. Drink plenty of water, it helps for headaches. :)
  • taso42
    Options
    Your premise is wrong. Sugar is not "bad for you". It's not causing a headache that a "natural sugar" will cure. If that's rude of me to say, then sorry*. I don't know how else to say it.

* not actually sorry
  • shivles
    Options
    When going from "unhealthy" to "healthy" you will always have some discomfort the first couple of days. I had it when I started my journey 2.5 years ago. Just hang on, it will get better once your body is used to it. Just takes a few days to a week for most people. Drink plenty of water, it helps for headaches. :)

Thank you I will try to drink more
  • shivles
    Options
    Your premise is wrong. Sugar is not "bad for you". It's not causing a headache that a "natural sugar" will cure. If that's rude of me to say, then sorry*. I don't know how else to say it.

* not actually sorry

All I know is eating refined sugar makes me feel like **** and if it gives me headaches when I don't have it for a couple of days then I don't want to eat it to be honest. I specifically said I didn't want people to just come along and tell me to eat sugar, I don't want to, and you should respect that instead of being nasty.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    After 5-6 days the withdrawal symptoms should go away. In the meantime just eat some fruit or something.
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit when I get the nasty sugar headache and that helps because you are getting sugar, it just isn't crap sugar.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I think processed sugar is bad for me and am cutting it out, like I said though there's no need to be rude about other people's choices. I was merely asking what natural sugar would be best to shift the headache.

I think some honey or maple syrup would do the trick. Those are natural. Or you can get some sugar cane and suck on that.

Good luck on your detox!
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Wait, so sugar is toxic?
    I've been eating nectarines all morning. Am I poisoned now?

Your profile pic is too cute. Fellow twin parent here :)
  • shivles
    Options
    I've tried some fruit but its not quite shifted, I have some honey so will try that. Thank you :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I was wondering what natural sugars would be most effective

Fruit and honey would be good choices for you.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've been there! I felt like crap for the first week off sugar. I agree with the suggestion to drink plenty of water. Personally I'd stay away from all sugars (including fruit) and "simple carbs" - white bread, white rice, pasta, etc. during this first week or so. Complex carbs (whole wheat) are ok in moderation. I drank tea in the evening instead of eating ice cream or drinking hot chocolate and that seemed to help somehow. I did decaf peppermint tea with a little "Splenda". I know the artificial crap isn't the best but I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

Here's the good news... after a week you'll be free of the sugar addiction (and I think it really is a kind of addiction) and you will feel so much better. Remember how crappy you feel now so you never get into this position again!

Good luck!
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's just going to take time. Now if I have too much sugar I get a headache!