Sugar withdrawal headache

Options

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I think processed sugar is bad for me and am cutting it out, like I said though there's no need to be rude about other people's choices. I was merely asking what natural sugar would be best to shift the headache.

I think some honey or maple syrup would do the trick. Those are natural. Or you can get some sugar cane and suck on that.

Good luck on your detox!

Great suggestion. You are always so helpful.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've been there! I felt like crap for the first week off sugar. I agree with the suggestion to drink plenty of water. Personally I'd stay away from all sugars (including fruit) and "simple carbs" - white bread, white rice, pasta, etc. during this first week or so. Complex carbs (whole wheat) are ok in moderation. I drank tea in the evening instead of eating ice cream or drinking hot chocolate and that seemed to help somehow. I did decaf peppermint tea with a little "Splenda". I know the artificial crap isn't the best but I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

Here's the good news... after a week you'll be free of the sugar addiction (and I think it really is a kind of addiction) and you will feel so much better. Remember how crappy you feel now so you never get into this position again!

Good luck!

I am avoiding the simple carbs too, I'm trying to eat 'clean'. No I'm determined not to go though this again!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Excedrin.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your premise is wrong. Sugar is not "bad for you". It's not causing a headache that a "natural sugar" will cure. If that's rude of me to say, then sorry*. I don't know how else to say it.

* not actually sorry

All I know is eating refined sugar makes me feel like **** and if it gives me headaches when I don't have it for a couple of days then I don't want to eat it to be honest. I specifically said I didn't want people to just come along and tell me to eat sugar, I don't want to, and you should respect that instead of being nasty.

Can you please stop calling me rude and nasty? You're starting to hurt my feelings. I never told you to eat sugar. I never told you to do anything for that matter. And 2 posts above you yourself are asking for what natural sugar you should take. So I don't know if you're just messing with us or what.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've been there! I felt like crap for the first week off sugar. I agree with the suggestion to drink plenty of water. Personally I'd stay away from all sugars (including fruit) and "simple carbs" - white bread, white rice, pasta, etc. during this first week or so. Complex carbs (whole wheat) are ok in moderation. I drank tea in the evening instead of eating ice cream or drinking hot chocolate and that seemed to help somehow. I did decaf peppermint tea with a little "Splenda". I know the artificial crap isn't the best but I haven't seen any adverse effects from it.

Here's the good news... after a week you'll be free of the sugar addiction (and I think it really is a kind of addiction) and you will feel so much better. Remember how crappy you feel now so you never get into this position again!

Good luck!

I am avoiding the simple carbs too, I'm trying to eat 'clean'. No I'm determined not to go though this again!

Don't want to alarm you, but there's simple carbs in the fruit you're eating...
  • shivles
    Options

Good luck!

I know, I mean bread and pasta etc that the poster referred to.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Those are polysaccharides, so they aren't simple carbs. So eat up
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bread and pasta are complex carbs

(Not being rude.. see the flower? :flowerforyou: )
  • shivles
    Options

Good luck!

I don't want to be told that my food choices are crap thanks, I don't want to eat processed sugar or carbs no matter what science terms you use.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    1. Post topic in public forum.
    2. Dictate in the topic the answers you want/don't want.
    3. Flip wig and accuse people of negativity/rudeness for unwanted answers.
    4. ????
    5. PROFIT!

Hope I didn't miss anything on the list.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I don't want to be told that my food choices are crap thanks, I don't want to eat processed sugar or carbs no matter what science terms you use.

Nobody said your choices were crap.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I had alcohol withdrawals. Those are the worst.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Well, since no one called me out of this I feel obligated to tell you; honey, maple syrup, (both disaccharides) are all simple sugars/carbs. Sucrose, (table sugar) is also a disaccharide. So, essentially: honey, maple syrup, sugar cane and processed white sugar are chemically IDENTICAL. Therefore, if you are trying to "detox" off of sugar, pretty much the dumbest thing you could do is eat honey. I thought for sure someone would catch that.

Fructose, the sugar in FRUIT is a monosaccharide which is the SIMPLEST of all the sugars.

Sorry* for the science terms.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Well, since no one called me out of this I feel obligated to tell you; honey, maple syrup, (both disaccharides) are all simple sugars/carbs. Sucrose, (table sugar) is also a disaccharide. So, essentially: honey, maple syrup, sugar cane and processed white sugar are chemically IDENTICAL. Therefore, if you are trying to "detox" off of sugar, pretty much the dumbest thing you could do is eat honey. I thought for sure someone would catch that.

Fructose, the sugar in FRUIT is a monosaccharide which is the SIMPLEST of all the sugars.

People were too afraid to say anything, lest they be attacked by the OP. :wink:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Good luck!

People were too afraid to say anything, lest they be attacked by the OP. :wink:

She should eat a cookie full of complex AND simple carbohydrates. Balance is the key to feeling better.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You should stick with the no sugar ect... It's working wonders for your mood and social interaction
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You should stick with the no sugar ect... It's working wonders for your mood and social interaction

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. Works wonders on your social interaction?
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not. Works wonders on your social interaction?

I am serious all day everyday
  • nickijean1
    Options
    Me too me too! Maybe there is something to that whole being totally worn out all the time thing that makes weight loss necessary for us
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I am so confused, I'm not sure how to be helpful. OP, are you avoiding processed foods (i.e. Splenda), simple sugars (i.e. fruit), complex carbs (i.e. pasta), or picking and choosing items willy-nilly by how much fun they are to eat?