Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Fitness and Exercise
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Being ACTIVE and being safe.

leonoraoropesaleonoraoropesa Member Posts: 39 Member Member Posts: 39 Member
My second bike ride for the year. As nurse my exercise time is all over the place so I take the time to keep myself healthy.

yvdtehp98axg.jpeg
ypzg5pgao0c9.png

Replies

• mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Member Posts: 966 Member Member Posts: 966 Member
    Nice area. I'm based in NJ USA, but visit family up in the Orleans section of Eastern Ottawa - when we can. It's been over a year now, and likely to be longer the way things are going. I ride more on that side, but did some poking around Brittannia Beach area in the last summer (2019) we were up there. Wanted to expand my trails repertoire.
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Member Posts: 966 Member Member Posts: 966 Member
    All of the general advice about physical security is good above. While I talk about my home locale, or places I go to, I never pre-announce, and I never publish GPS traces that include my home for those rides when I start or finish there (even apps' "privacy zone" settings I don't rely on, I just don't publish). I post about big trips, such as my Canada adventures, after I return. And critical info never gets shared. All good. But also, sharing common goals, sites, experiences is part of the beneficial community/social aspect, as long as you remember the old poet's advice (Frost?): "Good fences make good neighbors." LOL.

I break security occasionally to physically meet people I've communicated with online, but I follow the same strict guidelines I laid down for my kids. I've not had any problems doing this, have met some wonderful people I stay in touch with (and wish the rest a good life, far, far, away, LOL). But then again, I'm in a different place than others might be relative to this activity, and recognize that risk acceptance is different for different people.

About masks: I'm in a couple of higher-risk categories, so I've been following fairly strict protocols on contact, distancing, mask, etc., while pursuing my riding. Riding is a core component of my fitness journey, as befits this website. As I am now fully vaccinated, I've feel good enough to use a buff rather than mask, while riding where proximity encounters to other trail users is a factor, and also carry an accessible substantial mask for any meeting or non-social distancing occasions. And yes, I know buffs are not of the standard; I carry full N95 "duckbill" and a couple of KN95 in my kit for those situations. I don't usually touch anything I don't need to, use gloves when I can, eat and drink only what I have brought and carry sufficient PPE and cleansers that I regularly resort to using a multicompartment rack trunk where a saddlebag (for tools) previously sufficed.

"Multicompartment" is critical, as I keep "clean" and "exposed" items separate. In this regard, it helps being married to a nurse who lives the strict protocols day in and day out. Since part of my riding involves a volunteer assistive role on the trails, I have had to evolve good practices for actual trail user engagement. For instance, the other day, I helped someone use a trailside repair kiosk. This meant gearing up in PPE in the same manner as if I were a First Responder in a first aid situation. Then transitioning back to my own riding setup after cleanup. Plus of course the home-arrival shower-and-laundry cycle. I can discuss about covid fatigue sometime because of this, LOL.

Picture: Sandy Hook National Recreation Area, NJ USA, and my multicompartment rack trunk.

bu0mz6d20j04.jpg
    edited May 4
  • Busy911Busy911 Member, Premium Posts: 18 Member Member, Premium Posts: 18 Member
    Weirdest, most pointless post ever. Why don't you wear a hazmat and pose? I think you've embarrassed yourself here but good job on exercise...
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Member Posts: 1,794 Member Member Posts: 1,794 Member
    I think your level of risk assessment is broken.

a face mask to save you from what?

yet no helmet.

put on a helmet. please.

If you're talking about the picture of the OP it appears she is inside a house, or possibly a screened in porch. Helmet most likely not needed. Mask probably not needed in that situation either unless she wants to protect her identity. But then the shared map.
    edited May 5