Obese, morbidly obese, super obese and bike riding.

Options
So, for the bigger guys out there, what bikes do you own and what weight where you when you started riding as part of your lifestyle/weight loss/get fit and healthy regime?

I am a gnats todger below 400lb, and can't wait until I can start riding, but would like some ideas as to when that will be weight wise.

So, what weight were you when you got on your bike?

Links to models of bikes owned and stuff all gratefully received.

Thanks

Replies

• Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your current weight doesn't matter. What matters is you're going to cycle it off. Go to a cycling store and they'll advise you on what model will be best for you.

Best of luck :)
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So, for the bigger guys out there, what bikes do you own and what weight where you when you started riding as part of your lifestyle/weight loss/get fit and healthy regime?

I am a gnats todger below 400lb, and can't wait until I can start riding, but would like some ideas as to when that will be weight wise.

So, what weight were you when you got on your bike?

Links to models of bikes owned and stuff all gratefully received.

Thanks

e9678ba7-05fa-4f29-bab3-c7b50efee472.jpg
    I started at 379 and go fitted with a Trek Navigator 3.0 because I would kill a regular bike. Great frame, 24 gears, super grips, have lost 60 pounds and now I am addicted. I rode my first 10 mile ride the other day. I was so excited. Just like a puppy with two peters.
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Your current weight doesn't matter. What matters is you're going to cycle it off. Go to a cycling store and they'll advise you on what model will be best for you.

Best of luck :)

lol I actually quite like that response lol it surprised me but I dig it.

I will get my bike out (last rode 8 years ago) and see what maintenance it needs, do it, then see if I squash the tyres down despite being fully inflated...which I suspect it will do.

Still like to hear other's experiences but thanks man, I probably needed that. lol
  • dazzer1975
    Options

e9678ba7-05fa-4f29-bab3-c7b50efee472.jpg
    I started at 379 and go fitted with a Trek Navigator 3.0 because I would kill a regular bike. Great frame, 24 gears, super grips, have lost 60 pounds and now I am addicted. I rode my first 10 mile ride the other day. I was so excited. Just like a puppy with two peters.

oh superb stuff Way2slk, excellent info, and that isn't a million miles away from where I am, well, in the context of 400 and 379 20 or so doesn't sound too bad lol

Really appreciate the info and WOW on the 10 miles, that is some distance dude.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's all about the seat man, it's all about the seat. If your *kitten* hurts you aren't going to want to ride.
  • Way2slk
    Options
    Could not feel my *kitten* at the end of the ride though. Building up cheek muscles.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    LMAO I had that problem 8 years ago... I did buy a gel seat thing to add to the factory seat but never got round to using it.

I have heard some say leather seats are the best, but my god, they look like instruments of torture lol
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    As long as your bike is suitable for your weight and you can balance, you're good to go! If you have trouble with either of those, you could get started on a stationary bike at the gym. Commercial gym equipment is generally capable of handling people of any size (as opposed to cheaper home models that may have lower weight restrictions).
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm interested to know too. I've sat on a couple at Decathlon but felt unsafe and the tyres seemed too squishy.

*going to google for the precise measurement of a gnat's todger now... ;-)
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    As long as your bike is suitable for your weight and you can balance, you're good to go! If you have trouble with either of those, you could get started on a stationary bike at the gym. Commercial gym equipment is generally capable of handling people of any size (as opposed to cheaper home models that may have lower weight restrictions).

Ahh thanks for that. My balance is ok, well, definitely lots better since I started losing and walking and rowing etc, but I am confident that side of things will be fine...no medical reasons etc

Yes, I am worried about the tyres being flat and maybe perhaps the possibility of breaking the frame, but I suppose I can just keep going and see how my present unused bike seems to take the strain...if at all.

The gym is out for me at the moment, I don't do places where people are while I am this big...I can sit at home and abuse myself very easily without the public shame when strangers do it lol

I do plan on hitting the gym though, in time, but it's coming.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    *going to google for the precise measurement of a gnat's todger now... ;-)

LMAO try a google image search, it "may" be more interesting, well, if you can see them, it must be really REALLY small lol
  • Way2slk
    Options
    LMAO I had that problem 8 years ago... I did buy a gel seat thing to add to the factory seat but never got round to using it.

I have heard some say leather seats are the best, but my god, they look like instruments of torture lol

On me they would look like a suppository. Screw that. They don't make tractor seats for bikes do they?
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Check out LivingXL.com they sell bikes specifically for larger persons
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I could not ride a bike comfortably until I was down to 275 or 250. It hurt way to much on butt, pelvis, groin before than and there was way to much strain on wrists.
  • dazzer1975
    Options

On me they would look like a suppository. Screw that. They don't make tractor seats for bikes do they?

lmao suppository, thats EXACTLY what they would be like lol. Now a tractor seat, or better yet, an armchair with pedals lol now you're talking
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    Check out LivingXL.com they sell bikes specifically for larger persons

oh wicked, thanks mate.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Ahh thanks for that. My balance is ok, well, definitely lots better since I started losing and walking and rowing etc, but I am confident that side of things will be fine...no medical reasons etc

Yes, I am worried about the tyres being flat and maybe perhaps the possibility of breaking the frame, but I suppose I can just keep going and see how my present unused bike seems to take the strain...if at all.

The gym is out for me at the moment, I don't do places where people are while I am this big...I can sit at home and abuse myself very easily without the public shame when strangers do it lol

I do plan on hitting the gym though, in time, but it's coming.

That feeling is understandable, about not wanting to workout in public. It's a hard place to be.

I don't want to force you to do anything you don't want to do, but I bet if you went to a gym, you'd find it a lot less intimidating than you've built it up in your mind. There are people there at every level of fitness- swimming, using machines, lifting weights...you're not alone....and nobody will be there to mock you. You may even find that people give you friendly nods, a silent encouragement that you're doing something very difficult assurance that you're in the right place.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    I could not ride a bike comfortably until I was down to 275 or 250. It hurt way to much on butt, pelvis, groin before than and there was way to much strain on wrists.

My bum definitely hurt all those years ago and now you mention it there was a bit of groin pain, almost as if the circulation was getting cut off... casting my mind back.

There's no way I will wait until 250 though, I don't know the stone conversion but that isn't a million miles away from the ballpark where I will feel ok-ish.

No pain, no gain lol
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    morebean is right. I went to my gym for the first time when I was a good fair bit heavier than I am now. And it was actually fine. Mostly no-one looks at you when you're working out. You just get on doing your thing.

I appreciate it's really scary when you're heavy, and you're so scared people will laugh. But honestly, I've had very few experiences of that, and I work out a lot in public and at gym.
  • amandapanda007
    Options
    I was at 250 (woman, 5'3") and got an exercise bike seat (seemed like 4" of padding) because my butt and hips hurt way too much without that cushion.

Then I was able to enjoy it.... although my self-consciousness because of people's comments (about others, when I was present) about "look at the size of that *kitten*..." made me cringe. Ultimately stopped me, really.

I also don't do exercise in public places. Even though I have lost a lot of weight, it is still so deeply embedded in my mind.
    So, congratulations on making progress. Take it easy on yourself, and do what feels comfortable and reasonable. Just keep going in the right direction..!!!!