Obese, morbidly obese, super obese and bike riding.

Options

Replies

• dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

I started off too big for a bike, so I bought a treadmill that was for 20+ stone people, and it was probably the best thing I ever bought next to my gym membership I got last week (making use of the swimming baths)

If money permits, get yourself to the gym or buy a second hand treadmill, lose some weight with them, then get yourself a new bike as a gift to yourself for your hard work and effort.

Good luck buddy!

I would love a home cardio gym, stationary bike, treadmill etc, but I suppose when i get more weight lost, I will/maybe enjoy the craic of being others in the gym etc... I dont want to be shut away for ever lol

I am liking the idea of new bike, I think IF i can sort out the one i have now to a useable state and IF i can ride it now, I will batter that to death and hopefully by that time i will be able to get a decent bike and also join a gym.

Many thanks for your input mate, appreciate it.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but I'm going to pop in and recommend a cruiser-style bike. They're built for comfort...well, as comfortable as a bike can be when you're big. ;) Look for a wide, cushioned seat with springs. You can even add a wicker basket and a bell to make the ride that much more enjoyable.

a seat that is cushioned, wide and with springs? HELL YEAH lmao I will have a look out for one of those, the one on mine while it isnt one of those leather skeletal things, it isn't that far off.

I mean, just for the time being, this is all possibly hypothetical as my bike/wheels might not take my weight, but if it does, well, all systems go :)
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    I got my Trek Mamba when I was just about 300lbs. Great bike. My first time out I rode for two hours on rough terrain and then spent a week with the sorest *kitten* you can imagine — I could barely walk and my... *ahem*... my nut sack got all swollen. My second and third rides went a little better and by the fourth time out the pain had gone away (no swelling of the undercarriage after that first time.)

lmao it is bloody hard work isn't it, why do we do these things to ourselves, only to put ourselves through more pain to try and rectify the damage we did in the first place? lol Humans, off our heads lol

btw dude, your weight loss, massive congrats, that is some serious work right there. Respect.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    start slow.... 5 minutes out and 5 back 4 days per week. Keep on the flats or very gradual hills. Add 1 minute each week. In six months you will be riding an hour 4 times a week. In a year almost two hours.

This will give your butt a chance to adjust and keep you enjoying and looking forward to your exercise.

Good luck and let us know how your doing

ahh good advice, many thanks for that, like i say, i may not be able to just now, but i am hoping my old bike will take my weight, at any rate, whenever i am able to start I will follow that advice gradually trying to build up my butt tolerance lmao
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    Please please please don't wast your money on one of those gel seats. They are terrible for your body.

*Take your bike to your local bike store and have a tune up done on it
    *They will make tires/tubes that can be inflated to a higher pressure for us bigger guys (mine go up to 120psi)
    *You will want a bike with at least 26 spokes/wheel
    *Make sure your bike fits. Seat level is correct, handle bar level is correct

*when riding a bike, we have actual muscle that we call the sit bone. The way to get rid of a sore *kitten* is what we call TITS(Time in the saddle) You need to spend time building that muscle up. You won't do it with one of those ridiculous huge gel seats

*Start slow and have fun, biking is a lot of the reason I have lost almost 100lbs so far, and something I wan to do for the rest of my life. As bigger guys we get the benifit of being able to FLY down hills, it's awesome.

That is great info about psi and spoke numbers. I might take my bike to the local store I bought it from and see what they can do for it..and me

lmao @ flying down hills, it's the going up them that's the issue lmao

Thanks for the suggestion though, i think i will do that and take it in and get it back to riding condition and then see if it will take me.

Cheers mate, and to everyone for your help, advice, suggestions and guidance.

Appreciate it.
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Last summer I bought a mountain bike from Wal-mart. It holds my weight good 345 pounds (24 Stones 9 pounds) at the time. I bought the more expensive one because of 26" (66cm) Wheels and disc breaks. I just wanted to make sure once I got all this weight going I would be able to get it stopped without hitting something. I really need to get it out and ride it.

As for the Heart Rate Monitors, I have been thinking about getting one, but I am concerned about if the strap will fit and stay around my chest. I can't find one that is wrist or arm and Bluetooth to go with my phone. I saw the Scosche Rhythm
    Heart Rate Monitor but has received bad reviews.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    Last summer I bought a mountain bike from Wal-mart. It holds my weight good 345 pounds (24 Stones 9 pounds) at the time. I bought the more expensive one because of 26" (66cm) Wheels and disc breaks. I just wanted to make sure once I got all this weight going I would be able to get it stopped without hitting something. I really need to get it out and ride it.

As for the Heart Rate Monitors, I have been thinking about getting one, but I am concerned about if the strap will fit and stay around my chest. I can't find one that is wrist or arm and Bluetooth to go with my phone. I saw the Scosche Rhythm

Hiya Mate,

mine is the older version of this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Premium-Strap-Heart-Monitor/dp/B0029M3NSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1377471924&sr=1-1&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor

that uses this strap:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Heart-Monitor-Elastic-Forerunner/dp/B002PK15EI/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1377471976&sr=1-7&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor

trust me mate, if it fits me, it will fit you, absolutely no issue at all...yes, you might need to have it on it's biggest length but who cares? it is elastic so easily stretches out.

I use android and samsung galaxy s3, but like i say, I did buy an ant+ dongle for the phone (the hrm is ant+, and some androids (one of the sony phones) and I believe the iphone comes with ant+ built in) but i have only gotten it working once on my phone so who knows what the problem is...software, hardware or phone high jinks? It does work consistently, reliably and solidly with my rower though.

I have also been considering a bluetooth one as I am hoping it will work better with my phone, i think runkeeper sell one... let me look.

http://store.runkeeper.com/shop/category/fitness_sensors

Hmmm, I have no experience with any of those though so wouldn't know which to recommend, but heart rate monitoring on our phones via apps would be much cheaper than a dedicated garmin watch
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You may also want to check out:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg)

this forum is specifically for clydesdales (male riders over 200lbs) and Athenas.

You should be able to get lots of great advice from cyclists who have been exactly where you are right now.
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    You may also want to check out:

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg)

this forum is specifically for clydesdales (male riders over 200lbs) and Athenas.

You should be able to get lots of great advice from cyclists who have been exactly where you are right now.

dude, that is immense, many thanks for the heads up, i will have a good read through that forum, thanks mate,
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Today was my first real bikeride in probably 25 years or so.... I am a little wobbly but it felt good to have my hair in the wind and see the sights. I used a bike from my parents, my dad has about 5 bikes now, I think he collecting them..LOL Hopefully I will get a bike of my own soon and then I can ride anytime I want, for now I will use my recumbent bike at home. We have a really nice trail in my city that is really long and I can't wait to be out on it. Congrats on you weight loss!! You are doing great!
  • dazzer1975
    Options
    Today was my first real bikeride in probably 25 years or so.... I am a little wobbly but it felt good to have my hair in the wind and see the sights. I used a bike from my parents, my dad has about 5 bikes now, I think he collecting them..LOL Hopefully I will get a bike of my own soon and then I can ride anytime I want, for now I will use my recumbent bike at home. We have a really nice trail in my city that is really long and I can't wait to be out on it. Congrats on you weight loss!! You are doing great!

now THAT is awesome, well done, 25 years, you are seriously "in the zone" as I call it lol

Why get your own when you can "borrow" one of your dad's collection lol I bet you will be on that trail in no time.

Thank you very much, but you are the one actually doing it, I'm just talking about bike riding lmao

as an aside, and for anyone else reading this thread, i found this too which has blown my mind, from what I understand his bike was bought, and used, from 39 stone:

http://www.cyclorama.net/blog/cycling-in-action/the-former-39-stone-cyclist/

I am now, officially, saving up for a beast of a bike lol
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Hiya Mate,

mine is the older version of this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Premium-Strap-Heart-Monitor/dp/B0029M3NSS/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1377471924&sr=1-1&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor

that uses this strap:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Heart-Monitor-Elastic-Forerunner/dp/B002PK15EI/ref=sr_1_7?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1377471976&sr=1-7&keywords=garmin+heart+rate+monitor

trust me mate, if it fits me, it will fit you, absolutely no issue at all...yes, you might need to have it on it's biggest length but who cares? it is elastic so easily stretches out.

I use android and samsung galaxy s3, but like i say, I did buy an ant+ dongle for the phone (the hrm is ant+, and some androids (one of the sony phones) and I believe the iphone comes with ant+ built in) but i have only gotten it working once on my phone so who knows what the problem is...software, hardware or phone high jinks? It does work consistently, reliably and solidly with my rower though.

I have also been considering a bluetooth one as I am hoping it will work better with my phone, i think runkeeper sell one... let me look.

http://store.runkeeper.com/shop/category/fitness_sensors

Hmmm, I have no experience with any of those though so wouldn't know which to recommend, but heart rate monitoring on our phones via apps would be much cheaper than a dedicated garmin watch

Thanks, I will check these out.

I did buy a Fitbit Flex, of course it doesn't have a HRM and is a little bit sensitive to what it considers steps.
    My daughter loves it and talked me into it. :)

I liked the Nike+ GPS watch but is just too expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Multi-Sport-Watch-Heart-Monitor/dp/B00D7LNAX8/ref=sr_1_20?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1377479866&sr=1-20&keywords=gps+watch+with+heart+rate+monitor

And it doesn't have Bluetooth to sync with your phone.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,533 Member
    Options
    Avid biker. Have seen plenty of large men outside on outdoor bikes (2-wheelers) and also at the gym in spinning classes. Ditto going to a bike shop & have them recommend & fit you to a bike your frame. Used to ride a recumbent....its hard on the quads and hills suck. Make sure you have a helmet to fit your melon head, gel-seats at Walmart fit great & are comfy, wear obnoxiously bright colored clothing (tis the season to always be seen!) and get to know bike trails. Your best bet is to ride around your neighborhood at first.

To make it fun, get a speedometer/odometer and keep track of your progress. Put Strava on your smartphone or runkeeper or someother tracker that keeps it fun.

Most of all, post your progress here on MFP! Have found a great biking community right here on this site. :smokin:
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I got one of these and just popped my bike on it. Squished tires are a non-issue when you're going but not actually going anywhere Plus, the back tire is suspended so it just contacts the roller thingy.

And it saves you from cycling in view of others while you're not comfortable with it. It's a moderate investment as far as exercise doodads go, but I've found it to be worth the investment.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trek+trainer+by+cycleops&oq=trek+trainer&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.5241j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fp=a3b1e18c8f1e30f3&q=trek+trainer+by+cycleops&tbm=shop
  • clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Heck...I got a new Trek this past June. I would not have ridden the bike had I not changed the seat. My vital area was suffering some serious pain even while I slept. That with me using padded bibs.. I wasn't overweight. In fact I was about five pounds heavier then I am now. I found a great padded seat and now I am cycling all over. I was ready to throw the $2000 bike away...that is how bad I hurt. I wish it were my butt that was sore. I was properly measured for my frame and everything was calibrated for my height. So seat pain is not just a guy thing. It happens to lots of us. I was told to suck it up and it would go away. No way this was going away. And I have a high threshold for pain. I say....get what is comfortable for you. Even a tractor seat...lol. You won't ride if you are not comfortable.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow, Dazzer! 119 pounds already lost. You're doing great. Hang in there and I hope you find the perfect bike and seat for your needs.
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Got out my bike a few weeks ago. I haven't ridden in several years. I am now in the high end of normal weight range for the first time in over 25 years. Doesn't matter how much you weigh, because I rode 5 miles, and was in total butt pain! I also rode so slow that a guy I know that walks for exercise beat me on the route!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    It cost a bit of dough, I'll tell you that. :)

I ride a trek single speed; got it when I was a tad over 350 and it's held up well.

Factory rims started popping spokes under my fat *kitten* so I got 36 spoke velocity V rims; never an issue again.

To add to that, I got some gatorskin tires which are about the strongest you can buy.

Over time I think I've spent about a grand on it (including initial purchase), but it's been well worth it. I ride it daily as fast as my legs'll push it. :)
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's all about the seat man, it's all about the seat. If your *kitten* hurts you aren't going to want to ride.

I dread riding for that reason!
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    I did things backwards and got a bike first!!!
    Not needing to lose as much weight I found it an easy low impact way to get used to exercising ..

I'm doing 20kms (12 miles) 3 times a week now and started incorporating JM
    and running ... because I don't sweat ....

I'm on a Giant 29 Mountain bike riding the roads ... Great Bike and very solid

be careful its addictive!
    and watch out for those women drivers that love to cut corners ...

edit ... "I had trouble with the seat for a few weeks and then was fine"