Is it true that the average person eats 2kg of food a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Cream perhaps? (I wouldn't class that as a milk beverage :mrgreen: )
    Obviously yoghurt, and also frozen yoghurt (which I presume doesn't fall under ice-cream)?

And cottage cheese/cream cheese, do those count as cheese or, despite the name, non-cheese dairy?

It's confusing to me as well. I don't drink milk. don't eat cereal with milk (haven't since I was about 14) and I drink my coffee black. My main dairy consumption comes from yogurt and what little milk there is in some baked goods (since they are counting cheese separately).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    That chart above confuses me...the biggest category is non-cheese dairy. So, not cheese, not butter (in its own category), and dairy beverages are broken down in that category to 181 of the 600 pound estimate.

What the heck does the other 419 pounds include? I know we don't eat THAT much yogurt....

I think it's just wrong. It's not consistent with this: https://www.ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2014/june/trends-in-us-per-capita-consumption-of-dairy-products-1970-2012

In 2012, milk (which had been declining) is 198.8 lbs, and includes cream, so that's consistent with the 181 lbs for beverage milk, but other dairy (including cheese and butter) only totals 77 lbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    That chart above confuses me...the biggest category is non-cheese dairy. So, not cheese, not butter (in its own category), and dairy beverages are broken down in that category to 181 of the 600 pound estimate.

What the heck does the other 419 pounds include? I know we don't eat THAT much yogurt....

I might eat close to that much yogurt. 😉🤣 Gotta eat something to make up for my shortages in other categories.

I assume that 419 pounds would include fluid milk not consumed as a beverage, whipping cream, sour cream, probably even milk stuff in dairy-heavy food products like chip dips and such. (Is a milk shake counted as a dairy beverage?)

The main chart is mostly foods, not complex food *products*, so the non-cheese, non-butter dairy ingredients in food products are probably in that 419 pounds. Milk is in a lot of stuff.

I don't understand how they break out milk as a beverage. Home use is in cartons/bottles/jugs. How would they know whether we drank it, or put it in soup, etc.? If they assume all consumer cartons are beverage, 181 seems low once kids are in the picture especially - about a pint (half liter) a day?
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I am agreement that this information really has no importance, but I had difficulty believing that 2 kg of food is eaten per day. I added up the weight of the food I ate on my most typical day in the past week or so and came up with 1.1 kg and if I added my usual cup of tea, with no additives, it pushed it to 1.4 kg. Let’s not pretend, though, tea is not too much more than just water. Clearly, every day will have variation and I can readily see another half pound or so. I don’t think I very often have 2 kg of food in one day. I could readily see my husband eating that much, however. Interesting, I never gave thought to this.