Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Is it Okay to have a cheat day?

amyrlukamyrluk Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member
I let myself have a cheat because I have heard that cheat days can speed up your metabolism. When you hit a platue. But are there certain rules about cheat days. like how many calories you can go over. And what you can eat?
I let myself have one yeasutrday but I think I ate to much.

Replies

• corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,161 Member Member Posts: 5,161 Member
    Yes. It’s ok if that’s what works for you. The “best” diet is the one you can easily follow all your life.
    Personally, I have a cheat meal once a week, not a day. For me, it’s a meal to practice maintenance and awareness. If I’m actively trying to lose, I never eat out without
    Researching first. Look up the menu and calories online before I go, figure out what fits my calories and macros. Cheat meal, I just go. Figure out what comes sorta close when I get there, but no worries if it’s not as good as I thought, or if they really don’t have anything low calorie that I like. I know I’m trying to eat less, so even on a cheat meal, I try not to go way overboard. You CAN eat all the calories you saved all week in that one meal, but that would defeat the purpose.
  • MadisonMolly2017MadisonMolly2017 Member, Premium Posts: 7,759 Member Member, Premium Posts: 7,759 Member
    Agree with others here.

I don’t do “cheat days” - really dislike the term. I love @freda78’s question. Exactly what I did.

AND I didn’t want to ever activate that “free for all” eating again - not saying you would- but I knew it was not the mindset I’ve worked hard to develop. In fact if I notice that thinking or a small beginning of that behavior in myself, I figure it out & bay it back down.

AND once I figured out that food gets broken down into nutrients &that’s what labs measure, nutrition clicked for me. Why would I want to over feed my body & make it have to deal with the extra. (This is heightened in my case due to one kidney & strict dr request to keep protein in a certain range to maintain kidney function.)

I eat to live now (after 5.3 years) not live to eat (out) like I used to.

PS I know others who use cheat days very well. We each just need to figure out what works for us!!
    edited April 16
  • vanmepvanmep Member Posts: 349 Member Member Posts: 349 Member
    Who you gonna cheat on?
  • amyrlukamyrluk Member Posts: 10 Member Member Posts: 10 Member

freda78 "Who or what are you "cheating"?

I don't know if I agree with your philosophy that I am somehow cheating myself. Because a cheat day is not a bad thing. I saw a weight watchers post of facebook. and several of the posters said that cheating actually helped them break a plauto of not loosing. I hit a platue. and a i cheated and I broke it. Cheat days are not bad. I just want information on how to do it right.

edited April 20
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 5,161 Member Member Posts: 5,161 Member
    What’s “right” is what’s right for you. How did it help you? Mentally? Day off? Got to have some food you were missing? Physically? Able to eat where you were and what was available, vs worrying and hurrying to get something that “fit” your eating plan.
    For me, a cheat meal is giving myself permission to relax and roll with life every once in a while instead of always being so rigid. It relaxes me, allows me a mental break.
    What does it do for you?
  • mylittlerainbowmylittlerainbow Member Posts: 733 Member Member Posts: 733 Member
    To me, it depends partly on how you define "cheat day". No holds barred, the sky's the limit? I have occasional days when I eat something I've been craving (usually mixed nuts or trail mix), but I log those calories and still remain within my limit for that day. (So I have to eat less of the healthier foods and my diet is not balanced that day). I consider that a "cheat" in the sense that I've pushed aside better choices, but I log every bite and stay within bounds. I haven't maintained for as long as most of you - just 7 months at this point - so I do feel that I need to be more vigilant still than others are able to be.
    Some people say you can eat up to maintenance on cheat days(I’m not really one of them, but it does make sense).
    When you eat between your goal and maintenance, you are just slowing your loss, not stopping or reversing it.

What you can eat? Is there something you haven’t been allowing yourself to eat that you’d really like?
    For me, it was mostly just to sit and eat with everyone else and eat what they were eating, or go to a restaurant and order off the menu. No substituting lower calorie options. It was the relaxation of the rules and just enjoying life.
    edited April 20
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 19,802 Member Member, Premium Posts: 19,802 Member
    amyrluk wrote: »
    freda78 "Who or what are you "cheating"?

I don't know if I agree with your philosophy that I am somehow cheating myself. Because a cheat day is not a bad thing. I saw a weight watchers post of facebook. and several of the posters said that cheating actually helped them break a plauto of not loosing. I hit a platue. and a i cheated and I broke it. Cheat days are not bad. I just want information on how to do it right.

So why is that "a cheat" rather than "a strategy"?

In the thread I linked up above, there's information about "how to do it right", if there is such a thing as "doing it right". (By which I'm not saying you shouldn't have a higher intake day; I think that's something a person can choose to do for various reasons. My implication is that I don't think it's something that requires profound technical correctness, if we're talking about something that happens relatively rarely. Other than avoiding allergens or poisonous/dangerous things, or foods contraindicated by some health condition or medication, I don't think it matters a lot what the over-goal calories consist of.)
  • CaydensMommyCaydensMommy Member, Premium Posts: 314 Member Member, Premium Posts: 314 Member
    What about a "treat" day while doing keto?