Diets

Options
2»

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ultimately one has to be in calorie deficit to lose weight, what keto does, based on my experience, is to make you mindful of what you eat. On a keto diet you won't be eating garbage whether you count calories or not, that's already a great start. I was doing strict keto for about a year starting last April, in the beginning just by eating decent food-high fat/protein low carb in my case-without counting anything I was dropping the pounds with ease. Once eating keto became lifestyle I did start counting cals but I already had a pretty good start, was already losing weight. After a year I lost roughly 90 pounds, went from 285 lbs to 195 and as far as keto I am done with it, finished. I still want to lose another 5-10 lbs but these days being mindful with my food is part of my lifestyle, dont need keto anymore. As much as I like keto I dont think it is something you can do forever. Get the pounds off with keto count the calories and once the target weight is achieved slowly get back to eating normal, but always be mindful of what you put in.
  • bubus05
    edited April 2021
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    bubus05 wrote: »
    Ultimately one has to be in calorie deficit to lose weight, what keto does, based on my experience, is to make you mindful of what you eat.

Yes, it can, but so can many other ways of eating or simply writing down what you eat or, of course, logging. Some people simply take photos to be mindful.
    On a keto diet you won't be eating garbage whether you count calories or not, that's already a great start.

I don't know what "garbage" is, and I think it's definitely possible to eat a very nutritious keto diet (although a bit more challenging given how many highly nutrient dense foods have carbs). But it is also quite easy to eat a not great diet doing keto, or -- for many -- to overeat doing keto.
    I was doing strict keto for about a year starting last April, in the beginning just by eating decent food-high fat/protein low carb in my case-without counting anything I was dropping the pounds with ease.

I think this works for many, but same (for many) just eating a nutrient dense diet or paying attention to what you eat or cutting out snacking or IFing or eating vegan or WFPB. One reason is the mindfulness, and another is limiting what/when you eat so mindless eating of food just because it's there and tasty becomes harder. And the same is, of course, true for simply logging.
    Once eating keto became lifestyle I did start counting cals but I already had a pretty good start, was already losing weight. After a year I lost roughly 90 pounds, went from 285 lbs to 195 and as far as keto I am done with it, finished. I still want to lose another 5-10 lbs but these days being mindful with my food is part of my lifestyle, dont need keto anymore. As much as I like keto I dont think it is something you can do forever. Get the pounds off with keto count the calories and once the target weight is achieved slowly get back to eating normal, but always be mindful of what you put in.

If this works for you, great, but I see no reason why this makes losing with keto superior. (I like low carbing bc it is consistent with how I often like to eat on reduced cals, and I do think some people feel less hungry doing keto, but keto is just not inherently as a way to lose, and if one doesn't like it, it can make losing harder or prevent one from learning how to maintain, if one plans not to do it long term.)

Who said anything about keto superior...?
    Garbage food for me means processed food, and I know even the meaning of 'processed' is up to debate since everything seems to be processed one way or another. To rephrase I probably should say one needs to eat fresh food whether it is high carb/fat/protein or low carb/fat/protein.
    It would be foolish off me to generalise, I am writing my own experiences. What works worked for me may or may not work for others.
    Keto did help me to a point, like I said I am done with it. It is maintenance for me at this stage aside of trying to lose another few pounds, but the emphasis is on exercise from now on. One of the great effects of losing big is to be able to exercise like I haven't been able to for nearly two decades, but that's another story.
  • bubus05
    edited April 2021
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Ultimately one has to be in calorie deficit to lose weight, what keto does, based on my experience, is to make you mindful of what you eat.

Yes, it can, but so can many other ways of eating or simply writing down what you eat or, of course, logging. Some people simply take photos to be mindful.
    On a keto diet you won't be eating garbage whether you count calories or not, that's already a great start.

I don't know what "garbage" is, and I think it's definitely possible to eat a very nutritious keto diet (although a bit more challenging given how many highly nutrient dense foods have carbs). But it is also quite easy to eat a not great diet doing keto, or -- for many -- to overeat doing keto.
    I was doing strict keto for about a year starting last April, in the beginning just by eating decent food-high fat/protein low carb in my case-without counting anything I was dropping the pounds with ease.

I think this works for many, but same (for many) just eating a nutrient dense diet or paying attention to what you eat or cutting out snacking or IFing or eating vegan or WFPB. One reason is the mindfulness, and another is limiting what/when you eat so mindless eating of food just because it's there and tasty becomes harder. And the same is, of course, true for simply logging.
    Once eating keto became lifestyle I did start counting cals but I already had a pretty good start, was already losing weight. After a year I lost roughly 90 pounds, went from 285 lbs to 195 and as far as keto I am done with it, finished. I still want to lose another 5-10 lbs but these days being mindful with my food is part of my lifestyle, dont need keto anymore. As much as I like keto I dont think it is something you can do forever. Get the pounds off with keto count the calories and once the target weight is achieved slowly get back to eating normal, but always be mindful of what you put in.

If this works for you, great, but I see no reason why this makes losing with keto superior. (I like low carbing bc it is consistent with how I often like to eat on reduced cals, and I do think some people feel less hungry doing keto, but keto is just not inherently as a way to lose, and if one doesn't like it, it can make losing harder or prevent one from learning how to maintain, if one plans not to do it long term.)

Garbage food for me means processed food, and I know even the meaning of 'processed' is up to debate since everything seems to be processed one way or another. To rephrase I probably should say one needs to eat fresh food whether it is high carb/fat/protein or low carb/fat/protein.
    It would be foolish off me to generalise, I am writing my own experiences. What works worked for me may or may not work for others.
    Keto did help me to a point, like I said I am done with it. It is maintenance for me at this stage aside of trying to lose another few pounds, but the emphasis is on exercise from now on. One of the great effects of losing big is to be able to exercise like I haven't been able to for nearly two decades, but that's another story.

There's not much wrong with processed food. Hey, where I live pretty much all meat is heavily processed, often little leftovers glued together, pumped up with fluids to add taste and create a 'succulent' something in the pan. If you did your strict keto here you'd had very little natural food unless you were among the rich people who could go to an independent butcher (though much of the meat there is the same stuff). Seafood is the same. Makes me wonder though how processed the average US supermarket meat really is, with chlorine wash and masses of antibiotics to counteract the lesser health and safety standards compared to European laws.

I live in Ireland. Thank God -and the EU regulations I guess- food is pretty high quality here, they are damn expensive though . Dont know much about food in the US we hear all kinds of rumours, I have never lived in the USA. But we are going to have the chance to taste your beef, so we'll see, I will give it a try.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

There's not much wrong with processed food. Hey, where I live pretty much all meat is heavily processed, often little leftovers glued together, pumped up with fluids to add taste and create a 'succulent' something in the pan. If you did your strict keto here you'd had very little natural food unless you were among the rich people who could go to an independent butcher (though much of the meat there is the same stuff). Seafood is the same. Makes me wonder though how processed the average US supermarket meat really is, with chlorine wash and masses of antibiotics to counteract the lesser health and safety standards compared to European laws.

It can take a little digging, and I'm sure it's dependent on where you are, but my family actually buys almost all of our meat direct from local farms and we pay about supermarket price per pound, even taking into account what's lost since we pay by hanging weight. It does require significant planning in our budget and a place to store the meat (since we're buying a quarter or half animal at a time), but I was pleasantly surprised that we could do it. Our grocery budget is actually still frugal by USDA metrics for a family of our size. I also have the advantage (now) of the ability to prepare and use all of what we get, including the "weird parts."

I still think your point is well taken, but if a person *wanted* to buy meat or any other local farm product but hasn't bothered to look because of the assumption that it will definitely be too expensive....it might not be. On a quick search I find several places around here that charge double what we pay, probably because they can and because of the clientele they cater to who are willing to pay prestige prices. We're not. But it still works for us and we're very happy to be able to do it. We belong to a neighborhood group where several smaller families often go in together on packages and split them, too, so it's not just something that big families can do.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

People can eat processed food on keto and many people choose to. They just choose processed foods within the parameters of their macro goals.

So if by "garbage," you mean "processed food," then the statement "On a keto diet you won't be eating garbage" isn't accurate. It may be true that YOU PERSONALLY have eliminated processed foods, but that's a whole different statement.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    [Garbage food for me means processed food, and I know even the meaning of 'processed' is up to debate since everything seems to be processed one way or another. To rephrase I probably should say one needs to eat fresh food whether it is high carb/fat/protein or low carb/fat/protein.

I think you mean basically cooking mostly from scratch (no big reason to prefer fresh to frozen, and of course staples like olive oil are processed, among other ingredients, and I think we agree on that so I'll not nitpick). But even cooking from scratch doesn't mean lower cal (although for me it makes it much easier to be mindful). For example, there are actually a ton of "keto dessert" type foods these days, like fat bombs, that I think basically take the place of other high cal options for some, and of course there's cheese, but more to the point there are increasingly tons of snack and dessert foods one can buy at the store that are marketed as keto-friendly. (Perhaps that latter trend hasn't made it to Ireland yet, but if not I expect it will. It's certainly the case in the US.)

Anyway, that's why I don't agree that one needs to eat "unprocessed" to do keto or that it effectively cuts out dessert type foods or pre made snack foods, even, or of course other high cal snacky stuff like pepperoni or cheese, etc. I think it's more that one tends to be more mindful when one starts trying to lose, especially if one is dramatically changing one's eating, and of course if the foods you personally used to mindlessly eat or overeat happen to be carby, that means the strict carb limits effectively take them off the table and it takes a while to adjust to the other options.

Okay, that's great! I did misread you somewhat to be saying keto is the best way to lose for anyone.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

I live in Ireland. Thank God -and the EU regulations I guess- food is pretty high quality here, they are damn expensive though . Dont know much about food in the US we hear all kinds of rumours, I have never lived in the USA. But we are going to have the chance to taste your beef, so we'll see, I will give it a try.

yirara doesn't live in the US. There's plenty of really high quality meat in the US, and lots of options for people who prefer to avoid certain things.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,515 Member
    Options

It can take a little digging, and I'm sure it's dependent on where you are, but my family actually buys almost all of our meat direct from local farms and we pay about supermarket price per pound, even taking into account what's lost since we pay by hanging weight. It does require significant planning in our budget and a place to store the meat (since we're buying a quarter or half animal at a time), but I was pleasantly surprised that we could do it. Our grocery budget is actually still frugal by USDA metrics for a family of our size. I also have the advantage (now) of the ability to prepare and use all of what we get, including the "weird parts."

I still think your point is well taken, but if a person *wanted* to buy meat or any other local farm product but hasn't bothered to look because of the assumption that it will definitely be too expensive....it might not be. On a quick search I find several places around here that charge double what we pay, probably because they can and because of the clientele they cater to who are willing to pay prestige prices. We're not. But it still works for us and we're very happy to be able to do it. We belong to a neighborhood group where several smaller families often go in together on packages and split them, too, so it's not just something that big families can do.

I know, it's an option. Here it isn't as it's a lot more expensive than supermarket meat, and you indeed need space to store everything. The average working couple flat here has a 1-3 shelf freezer the width of a normal, single-door fridge. You can't store the amount of meat you'd need to buy in there. Btw, I only have a small freezer because I placed one on the washing machine in my bathroom. Otherwise I'd only have a build-in thingy inside my barely higher than worktop fridge.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Ultimately one has to be in calorie deficit to lose weight, what keto does, based on my experience, is to make you mindful of what you eat. On a keto diet you won't be eating garbage whether you count calories or not, that's already a great start. I was doing strict keto for about a year starting last April, in the beginning just by eating decent food-high fat/protein low carb in my case-without counting anything I was dropping the pounds with ease. Once eating keto became lifestyle I did start counting cals but I already had a pretty good start, was already losing weight. After a year I lost roughly 90 pounds, went from 285 lbs to 195 and as far as keto I am done with it, finished. I still want to lose another 5-10 lbs but these days being mindful with my food is part of my lifestyle, dont need keto anymore. As much as I like keto I dont think it is something you can do forever. Get the pounds off with keto count the calories and once the target weight is achieved slowly get back to eating normal, but always be mindful of what you put in.

Yeah,I saw someone who was doing keto post on Facebook that her favorite snack was microwaved pepperoni with sour cream....kinda sounds like "garbage" to me.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Yeah,I saw someone who was doing keto post on Facebook that her favorite snack was microwaved pepperoni with sour cream....kinda sounds like "garbage" to me.

Oh man. I mean, I'm sure some people would think the stuff I eat is weird, but uhhh...let's just say that has no appeal to me whatsoever.

I know, it's an option. Here it isn't as it's a lot more expensive than supermarket meat, and you indeed need space to store everything. The average working couple flat here has a 1-3 shelf freezer the width of a normal, single-door fridge. You can't store the amount of meat you'd need to buy in there. Btw, I only have a small freezer because I placed one on the washing machine in my bathroom. Otherwise I'd only have a build-in thingy inside my barely higher than worktop fridge.

If we lived somewhere else I would definitely have to approach how I buy and store food completely differently! The chest freezer is a modern convenience, but my attitude towards it is definitely American pioneer like - "OK, let's imagine I won't be able to see anyone for four months of hard winter and the trains won't come through and I have five little children to feed." I do have a bit more variety than salt pork and boiled potatoes, though.