Tired of being fat! Looking for friends who are 300+ and trying Intermittent Fasting

evilfairies
evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
Hello friends! This is not my first rodeo but will hopefully be my last!

I am 38, and have struggled with weight most of my life, but nothing hit me quite as hard as the pandemic. In 2019 I climbed my first mountain!!! But then 2020 came along and I lost every good habit I had worked so hard to make and I am now at my highest weight ever (355 lbs). I can barely move.

A friend suggested intermittent fasting so I am giving that a shot. This is my second week and it’s going ok. But she isn’t a large woman and I am struggling to relate to her challenges (and vice versa) so I want to make some friends who are both 300+ lbs and trying IF because we can understand and encourage each other.

Feel free to reach out here or send me a friend request!

Replies

• erykahh82
    erykahh82 Posts: 2 Member
    Same here...I started 3 weeks ago and have lost almost 4 lbs. It's not a lot but enough to keep me motivated. Hang in there!!!
  • evilfairies
    evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
    erykahh82 wrote: »
    Same here...I started 3 weeks ago and have lost almost 4 lbs. It's not a lot but enough to keep me motivated. Hang in there!!!

4 lbs is great! I am at 2lbs now. Any movement in the right direction helps 💪🏻
  • mlindaclaire
    mlindaclaire Posts: 8 Member

I am 38, and have struggled with weight most of my life, but nothing hit me quite as hard as the pandemic. In 2019 I climbed my first mountain!!! But then 2020 came along and I lost every good habit I had worked so hard to make and I am now at my highest weight ever (355 lbs). I can barely move.

A friend suggested intermittent fasting so I am giving that a shot. This is my second week and it’s going ok. But she isn’t a large woman and I am struggling to relate to her challenges (and vice versa) so I want to make some friends who are both 300+ lbs and trying IF because we can understand and encourage each other.

Hello,

I’m not 300+ but still in the same journey , looking to lose close to 100 pounds. Stay positive.

• Pertapert
    Pertapert Posts: 17 Member
    Hi,

I'm not 300+ but still have a good amount I'd like to lose. I would say I'd like to lose about 130lbs or so. I've been with it now for about a month and a half and I'm down 16lbs. Nowhere near my goal yet but moving in the right direction 😊
  • mikhnpaitsmum
    mikhnpaitsmum Posts: 119 Member
    Im not 300lbs but have a fair bit to loose. I have somewhat limited exercuses that I can do due to recent surgeries - spinal fusion ans shoulder surgery. I am
    Only allowed to walk.
    I do IF, not sure how well lol. Fell free to add me:)
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    You can do it.. Figure out what works for you. I won't offer you any must do's. That's a list you need to build and then decide is this part of my new lifestyle? That's what I can offer as a very high level thing to do. Develop a new lifestyle(loosing weight and reaching a # should not be the main driver... that can be a short term goal, but you should be thinking in the far off future.... a better lifestyle you can live with should be the ultimate goal) and move out from the one that has unfortunately allowed you to not be in the best of places health wise. If there's ever been a time to get out of the overweight hole this pandemic has just thrown gas onto what most people know what being overweight comes with. Hopefully I'm not coming off as harsh. I am in complete belief that we need to be governors of our destiny. We allowed ourselves to get into this hole so we need to work and put some effort and get out. I know some folks will need a push and a hand, but don't let that be a crutch. That said I started at 425 and now -200lbs. This has been done via watching my overall eating habits and tracking food and of course exercise. Now specifically to you bringing up intermittent fasting. When I initially started my new lifestyle I decided that there would be no eating after 7PM. My next meal would not be until the following morning between 7-9AM. I was asked if I was doing intermittent fasting and I said no and then realized uh I guess I have been. I did this for a solid 6 months. I still hold to not eating past 9 and its usually to make sure I'm eating enough during the day so try to make it some healthy later snack, but a drink or a treat is not out of the question. When you start putting in some effort and work you should allow yourself the occasional treat just don't over do it. By the way I walked solid for 6 months. And to this day I still walk and now jog, row and do some elliptical as well. Walking is free. Start with that and walk with purpose(10k daily sloth steps is better than nothing, but getting your heart rate up will make it count and improve your health). Being heavier has limitations, but getting some weight off little by little will help you put in more effort with little less hurt. I pay attention to the pains so when I feel things aren't right I dial it back and go back to the tried and true.. I walk.... The last week I've been doing just walking and things are getting back to speed. So maybe a jog this coming weekend if the body says ok. Good luck.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    The goal is to loose the weight -- which requires a caloric deficit.

The best way to achieve a deficit, consistently, is different for each individual. And for an individual can, will, and SHOULD morph over time. Intermittent fasting today? Watching snacks? A particular way of eating? As long as you remember that these are METHODS YOU'RE EXPERIMENTING WITH as opposed to your actual GOAL.... you're probably good to go!

Your goal is to achieve long term compliance with your targets. Your target being achieving a deficit to lose weight! ANY deficit being better than no deficit and DEFINITELY being better than making things difficult enough that you give up!

I had a slightly shorter path as I don't think I was ever quite up to 300 (I was no longer getting on a scale by 280 so who knows!). But if I were starting now, I would definitely visit the Larger Losers sub forum / group. There is some interesting content there too!
  • Pertapert
    @PAV8888 - Forgive my ignorance but can you tell me how I find the sub forum Larger Losers. I tried searching it out but couldn't find it. Thanks for your help 😊
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member

I am working on losing the weight I gained since last year. I lost 200lbs and had maintained it for 4 years. For some dumb reason I decided to try IF since I would be at home and I did not think it would be too hard. The first week I lost ten lbs and I did not change my eating, just the hours. I guess I psyched myself out to believe that I could eat anything as long as it was in my eating window. Of course I started gaining weight. I have been fighting to lose the weight since then. I am again doing IF because it was so easy for me to do. The only difference is that I am using it as a means to eat less calories. I am over 300, while I want to lose weight, I do not strive to be under 300 lbs. I have lymphedema and carry quite a bit of weight in my legs.
    That is my tale.
    Good luck to you
  • Pertapert
    OhMsDiva wrote: »

I am working on losing the weight I gained since last year. I lost 200lbs and had maintained it for 4 years. For some dumb reason I decided to try IF since I would be at home and I did not think it would be too hard. The first week I lost ten lbs and I did not change my eating, just the hours. I guess I psyched myself out to believe that I could eat anything as long as it was in my eating window. Of course I started gaining weight. I have been fighting to lose the weight since then. I am again doing IF because it was so easy for me to do. The only difference is that I am using it as a means to eat less calories. I am over 300, while I want to lose weight, I do not strive to be under 300 lbs. I have lymphedema and carry quite a bit of weight in my legs.
    That is my tale.
    Good luck to you

Congrats on losing 200lbs before. That is a huge accomplishment. IF can be a bit misleading at times. I had an app that actually encouraged you to eat whatever you wanted within your eating window, that sounds great and all but it's not excatly practical. In any effort, it's definitely not the best idea. Encouragingly, though, IF really does work once done correctly. I lost 40lbs in approx. 4 months a couple of yrs ago. I've circled back around to it (finally) and in addition to MFP I'm down 16lbs in a month and a half. Hoping to keep it up.
    Good luck to you and everyone else 😊
  • galarqueen
    galarqueen Posts: 16 Member
    I'd be more than happy to be a partner if you're comfortable with that.

I started my journey February 27, 2021. I was 325. (My heaviest) I'm currently 303. I go to the gym 5 days a week.

I have a few accountability partners in several different states.

I struggle with food addiction and over eating.

You can do it!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    Pertapert wrote: »
    @PAV8888 - Forgive my ignorance but can you tell me how I find the sub forum Larger Losers. I tried searching it out but couldn't find it. Thanks for your help 😊

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • Pertapert
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Pertapert wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

Thank You!