Eating Keto style here, and stalled for a couple of weeks..

Options
G0ldengirl68
G0ldengirl68 Posts: 43 Member
edited April 2021 in Food and Nutrition
..and went through the whole withdrawal from carbs, and believe I either did get into Ketosis, or body is still changing. I'm guessing the latter in that first statement.

I didn't have a lot of fat to lose, but at 136, 5'2", and 68 years old, I was out of proportion with fat hanging over in those "certain" places. I'm small-boned but don't have a full-body photo to share, but will try and get one. I'm also a Type 2 Diabetic diagnosed Jan 20, this year. My diary is open, and if you look, you'll notice I really don't pay much attention to calories. I do watch carbs, protein, fats, potassium and sodium levels just to help me not just lose weight/burn fat, but to keep my good numbers for T2.

I lost 12 lbs so far, and 1 or 2 inches here and there. I haven't been good about getting me-time to do my 4 mph walks, and not consistent with my bodyweight exercises.

I would like some feedback from folks on the best TDEE calculator as I have been a strong believer in the Eat More Too Weigh Less "info" I've learned on MFP. Doing Keto, and having T2 hasn't changed my faith in that style of weightloss. Feedback on folks that know and understand Keto would be good, but I think it's better to just call it low-carb as I think many are working with that.

The Keto definition I hear most often, for those that don't know about it, is eating low carbs (below 50 grams a day) highest macro is fats (healthy fats) next proteins, and then the carbs. Some people go way down to like 20, and I have on some days. I joined a group, but I get more feedback out here, so far ;) so I will just say I would like to hear from others that get stalled in their weightloss and wonder. I just want to lose some inches, not just water, and definitely not lean-muscle.

Btw, I can't lift weights any longer as I have some arthritis in my hands and afraid of making it worse, thanks for any help, Denise :smile:

PS Forgot to mention, even though I've heard from a lot of people about Keto that don't count their calories, I'm wondering if I need to be a bit more strict?

Replies

• G0ldengirl68
    Options
    I will start that today, paying closer attention, thank you :) Also, I've been doing my walking after dinner, and I think it will be better if I workout in a "fasted" state, which for me, is before breakfast. I don't do intermittent fasting, just don't eat after dinner, and breakfast is usually 9 - 9:30 which gives me about 15 or so hours of fasting. I know some folks, on keto anyway, only eat 2, or even one meal a day. That's not for me.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Being consistent with that walking will probably be even more helpful for your diabetes than strict keto! My body is more forgiving of a slightly higher carb day with exercise than it is of a "perfect" day without exercise.

If you monitor your blood sugar, you can do a test - plan to eat the same thing for a few days, with some walking in the am and some in the pm. Personally, if I skip my evening workout, I have to do a longer workout to get the same fasting BS the next day. So my body is perfectly happy with 30-40 minutes a day, as long as some of that is in the evening. If I only workout in the morning, it has to be at least an hour.

As for weight loss, you really don't have much to lose if you are saying you are 136-12 = 124 right now. While you could lose another 12 lobs without compromising your health, you are already in a healthy range and do not need to be focused on weight loss.
  • G0ldengirl68
    Options
    I will start that today, paying closer attention, thank you :) Also, I've been doing my walking after dinner, and I think it will be better if I workout in a "fasted" state, which for me, is before breakfast. I don't do intermittent fasting, just don't eat after dinner, and breakfast is usually 9 - 9:30 which gives me about 15 or so hours of fasting. I know some folks, on keto anyway, only eat 2, or even one meal a day. That's not for me.

If you find it easier to do your walk in a fasted state, then go for it . . . but for the average person's fitness goals, it isn't going to make a relevant difference.

I'm going to try it, then maybe I can find out if I'm average, but not if I'm above or below, :D I'm joking, but that's interesting and I will look into it ;)
  • G0ldengirl68
    Options
    Being consistent with that walking will probably be even more helpful for your diabetes than strict keto! My body is more forgiving of a slightly higher carb day with exercise than it is of a "perfect" day without exercise.

If you monitor your blood sugar, you can do a test - plan to eat the same thing for a few days, with some walking in the am and some in the pm. Personally, if I skip my evening workout, I have to do a longer workout to get the same fasting BS the next day. So my body is perfectly happy with 30-40 minutes a day, as long as some of that is in the evening. If I only workout in the morning, it has to be at least an hour.

As for weight loss, you really don't have much to lose if you are saying you are 136-12 = 124 right now. While you could lose another 12 lobs without compromising your health, you are already in a healthy range and do not need to be focused on weight loss.

Maybe not a need, but a goal for me to be toned, and the goal to maintain, and build muscle strength. I am thinking to change things up a bit, like back off the higher fats for a day or two, and see what works. And I am noting what you shared because I'm open-minded about what might help me ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options

If you find it easier to do your walk in a fasted state, then go for it . . . but for the average person's fitness goals, it isn't going to make a relevant difference.

I'm going to try it, then maybe I can find out if I'm average, but not if I'm above or below, :D I'm joking, but that's interesting and I will look into it ;)

I'm with Jane on this: If you want to work out fasted, and it feels good to you, do it. But eating before working out is not going to make any significant difference for fitness development or for fat loss, IMO. (Some people do find that if they eat a lot, or certain foods, *right* before exercise, they can experience some unsettled stomach symptoms, though.)

I'm one of the people who underperforms if I work out in a fasted state: Fasted, I'm good for maybe 20 minutes of reasonable intensity (though it already feels subjectively kind of miserable), then my energy just tanks and I can't maintain an even moderately high intensity. My answer to that is to eat before I work out, other than maybe a few minutes of something easy first thing in the AM if that helps my schedule work out better. Doing this, I didn't have any particularly unique troubles losing weight (50+ pounds lost at age 59-60), and my fitness these days is pretty adequate for a 65-year-old who was a late starter to being active, I think. (I just got back from a walk of a bit over 5 miles at 3.9mph, so not quite up to your speed, however. 😉)
  • G0ldengirl68
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm with Jane on this: If you want to work out fasted, and it feels good to you, do it. But eating before working out is not going to make any significant difference for fitness development or for fat loss, IMO. (Some people do find that if they eat a lot, or certain foods, *right* before exercise, they can experience some unsettled stomach symptoms, though.)

I'm one of the people who underperforms if I work out in a fasted state: Fasted, I'm good for maybe 20 minutes of reasonable intensity (though it already feels subjectively kind of miserable), then my energy just tanks and I can't maintain an even moderately high intensity. My answer to that is to eat before I work out, other than maybe a few minutes of something easy first thing in the AM if that helps my schedule work out better. Doing this, I didn't have any particularly unique troubles losing weight (50+ pounds lost at age 59-60), and my fitness these days is pretty adequate for a 65-year-old who was a late starter to being active, I think. (I just got back from a walk of a bit over 5 miles at 3.9mph, so not quite up to your speed, however. 😉)

Hi Ann, I too struggle with not eating before a workout (and mine aren't even high intensity) My 4 mph is only some days, but I am feeling stronger since I went low carb/keto. I think some videos and articles I've seen misrepresent what Keto is. But I think this is something I can easily handle (nutrition wise) the rest of my life. Just wanted to mention that to others that od on carbs like I have.

I also agree with taking it easy if I go out right after my evening meal (about 6 pm now that it's staying light later). Just easy does it for me. After maybe an hour or more I do really well, lots of energy.

It's good to see you, I don't know if you'll remember me but I had you as a "friend" here before because I respect your info/input, plus your amazing successes. The fact you stay here to encourage and help others, well, I want to be like that too, dedicated to passing on the good news ;)
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto and intermittent fasting. Check out Dr. Eric Berg DC on Youtube. He has a lot of tips and a video on what to do when you plateau. What I like about him too is he gets straight to the point.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Probably you just need to count your calories to make sure you aren't overeating on keto. Those fat calories can add up quickly. At your age, weight and height, it's likely you can't eat very much, maybe even as low as 1400-1600 calories a day for maintenance. As for exercise in a fasted state, I don't usually think that's a good idea as you get older. It's often fine when you're younger, but you can get dizzy or shaky when you're older.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    Probably you just need to count your calories to make sure you aren't overeating on keto. Those fat calories can add up quickly. At your age, weight and height, it's likely you can't eat very much, maybe even as low as 1400-1600 calories a day for maintenance. As for exercise in a fasted state, I don't usually think that's a good idea as you get older. It's often fine when you're younger, but you can get dizzy or shaky when you're older.

I agree with all of this except the last sentance... I am 59 and have no issues working out fasted.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,050 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »

I'm 65, and it doesn't make me dizzy or shaky either. The fasted workout itself will feel totally cr*ppy and not be very effective (so I rarely do it), but I don't get dizzy or shaky. I don't know whether the "not effective" thing is age-related, but if you made me guess, I'd guess it was more an individual variation among people, more than an age thing.

I can readily believe "dizzy and shaky" would be true for some people, though.