ketosis

Options
13»

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Just a short note on Ketosis. A process of weight loss by making you ILL,. A must to avoid.

There is no doubt that it works - you will lose weight by forcing your body process and denying an essential part of your healthy requirements. There is also no doubt that it does harm to the cardiovascular system in the longer term. If you shy away from carbohydrates then you are denying yourself the basic starchy foods of your ancestors - Meat and fish contain saturated fat and cholesterol - eat plenty and your levels will go up. Meat also contains anti-biotics and other additives - and you end up cooking it in oils.- do you really want this kind of fat in your veins?. Moderation is the key - being under your calorific level is the key and a healthy diet with carbs, vegetables and starchy food is the best way to live longer and avoid high blood pressure, diabetes and all of those ailments associated with meat and dairy products.

Robert Atkins died from a fall outside his office. But the autopsy revealed heart disease. If you value your mortality - do not go this way

lunch-alone-1.gif
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Just a short note on Ketosis. A process of weight loss by making you ILL,. A must to avoid.

There is no doubt that it works - you will lose weight by forcing your body process and denying an essential part of your healthy requirements. There is also no doubt that it does harm to the cardiovascular system in the longer term. If you shy away from carbohydrates then you are denying yourself the basic starchy foods of your ancestors - Meat and fish contain saturated fat and cholesterol - eat plenty and your levels will go up. Meat also contains anti-biotics and other additives - and you end up cooking it in oils.- do you really want this kind of fat in your veins?. Moderation is the key - being under your calorific level is the key and a healthy diet with carbs, vegetables and starchy food is the best way to live longer and avoid high blood pressure, diabetes and all of those ailments associated with meat and dairy products.

Robert Atkins died from a fall outside his office. But the autopsy revealed heart disease. If you value your mortality - do not go this way

It always cracks me up when people tell me I'm "gonna die" if I "don't eat carbohydrates". :)
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    interesting idea
  • TomDonis
    TomDonis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Keto diet is also how I lost as much as I have. Definitely recommend it 100%.

I started at 110 kg (242 lbs) and have lost 39.2 kg (86 lbs) and counting!
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options

malarky.
    studies have shown that this diet actually reduces bad cholesterol. Not all meat contains anti biotics and other additives. There are many reasons that one can have a bad heart, diet is not the sole predictor. heredity also plays a part. I also do not think that one can say for certain what atkins actually was eating in his lifetime. Just because he was pushing a diet doesn't mean he actually was following it. at 258 pounds at death I find it unlikely he was following it.

When you go into ketosis it changes your metabolism and the way your body functions .yeah, you're in trouble if you eat so much fat on a high carb diet but your body is functioning very differently on a high carb diet. I suggest you read some studies on this kind of diet before busting in here wiht misinformation.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually an egg omelette or a keto crepe(made with one egg and two tbsps of cream cheese). Lunch is either deli meat and cheese or chicken. Dinner is tuna or eggs. I also eat home-made fat bombs, which are basically keto candy where it's high fat and very low carb. My ticker is an indicator of keto's success thus far.

Keto crepe sounds good...care to share recipe & method?...I'm getting tired of over easy :blushing:

ETA: before the firestorm, I thought I'd add go here for additional info http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

The crepe is pretty simple. You melt two tbsp of cream cheese in the microwave, then beat in the egg until a batter forms. Pour it in the pan over medium heat, wait about 3-5 minutes, give or take, flip, wait another 3ish minutes, then serve with either whipped cream or peanut butter. I like the peanut butter better because the whipped cream melts. I also use butter on the pan to add more fat to it.

That sounds amazing
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes, Ketosis can work however, I highly recommend having a doctor monitoring you in a keto state because if you stay in it too long you send your body into ketoacidosis and can cause major problems by having your blood pH drop and become acidic. I am not trying to say that you are going to die because you wouldn't at least not for a few years but there can be some problems if taken too far.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Yes, Ketosis can work however, I highly recommend having a doctor monitoring you in a keto state because if you stay in it too long you send your body into ketoacidosis and can cause major problems by having your blood pH drop and become acidic. I am not trying to say that you are going to die because you wouldn't at least not for a few years but there can be some problems if taken too far.

This isn't true. acidosis happens with type 1 diabetics and very very rarely type 2 diabetics. You can buy a urine test called ketostix that tells you how far into ketosis you are and if you have any glucose in your urine. If you have ketones and glucose showing up at the same time you should probably go to the doctor but to the best of my understanding that is a very very rare occurrence. If you have medical concerns you should go to the doctor before starting ANY diet or exercise routine.

Ketosis for a healthy adult is a non dangerous state. the body can burn two types of fuel, glucose or ketones. (fatty acids) in ketosis you basically are just switching over to kerosine from coal for your internal furnace. your body can operate just fine on fat instead of sugar.
  • nicola1812
    nicola1812 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I started this but for different reasons than most - My thyroid stopped functioning properly and I stopped losing weight by just counting calories and having a deficit (though I was losing 2 lbs a week before it went hypo.) Even though mathematically I should have been losing, I wasn't, even when the meds leveled me out. And that was ok because I felt better, but then I developed a gluten intolerance and started getting sick EVERY time I ate anything that had gluten in it. Which turns out to be just about everything.

Ketosis makes it really easy to avoid gluten, I'm losing weight again easily, and for the first time in like 6 months I don't throw up every time I eat. I feel SO much better. I can't describe how great I feel after all this time.

I am monitored by a bariatric doctor right now though. They were the ones who turned me onto this since I was getting sick all the time and not losing weight and I did NOT want to turn to surgery but I also didn't want to be sick anymore. I wanted a different solution and this works for me. I am really, really, really grateful for the diet.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Keto diets do work! Keep to a small calorie defecit, high fat, moderate protein and low carb. I've done them in the past and even though I obviously gain some water weight when I eat carbs again there is always still a great loss. I think it's probably due to the decreased appetite that keto can bring which means it's easier to stick to your calorie goals.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!