Weight loss myths

Options
124»

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Since I got a lot of disagrees on my "You must use a food scale to weigh all your food" (unsurprisingly), I"ll piggyback off of that:

The myth that there is a one-size-fits-all approach to weight loss, whether that be using an app like MFP, doing keto, IF, intuitive eating, etc. Nope. Obviously we're all here on MFP because it works for us, is working, or believe it will work. Doesn't mean that one HAS to use it to lose weight, or even track calories, macros, etc. People can and do lose weight using Intuitive Eating...honestly wish I could be one of them. Just because it did/didn't work for you (or you don't think it would), doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

Totally agree with this, and didn't disagree, but looking back I suspect the disagrees weren't with saying a food scale is not required for all (which I think is broadly accepted by most at MFP), but the implication that the elimination diet made fat loss faster than a similar deficit. But I am not at all sure you meant that, I just think the prior post might have been interpreted to mean that.

Or maybe people were disagreeing with the notion that "one has to use a scale" is a myth, as it's rare to find someone who believes that IME.

You just never know why someone disagrees (and I do wish people would explain if it hasn't already been explained).

Good points, and like you said, without knowing why someone commenting as to why he/she disagrees, we can only speculate.

If anyone DID think I was interpreting my weight loss while on this elimination diet as mostly fat loss, I wanted to be clear that I'm not. I have been eating in a slight calorie deficit because I did want to lose about 7 pounds from when I started. Out of the 9 pounds I've loss, I'm guessing MAYBE 3 is fat. I just assumed it was be at a slow pace. Apparently, I was a lot more "inflammed" then I realized, so hence, a lot of water weight loss. Plus (and maybe more importantly) my digestion has improved (one of the main reasons for trying this), so honestly things are just moving along better! Also, this has made me realize that I was most likely doing a lot more mindless nibbles here and there, but now that I have to be really diligent as to what I'm putting in there, I've eliminated some extra calories that way. I also am honestly not as hungry, and am not supposed to eat a lot of those foods that I tend to overeat, anyway.

By the way, if anyone is reading this thinking they should try an elimination diet for 'weight loss"--don't! I've read and was told multiple times by my dietician that this is not a weight loss diet. It's not about eliminating food groups like starchy carbs or anything, either. However, if you're constantly bloated or have digestive issues, it IS possible the scale doesn't move as quickly, so it could be worth looking to see if any foods you eat are causing that. And I was eating a generally well-balanced diet, getting enough fiber and water before all this, and doing stuff like taking good digestive enzymes and drinking Kombucha daily. I was always one of those people who'd secretly roll my eyes when people would say stuff like "I feel so much better after I stopped eating dairy, gluten, etc. etc., ", too.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I had to share this one, straight from the spam box:
    15c04hpxjp1e.jpeg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    15c04hpxjp1e.jpeg

Is it literally a flamethrower?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    15c04hpxjp1e.jpeg

Is it literally a flamethrower?

LMAO!

New meaning to lighting a fire under someone’s butt?