Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Success Stories
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Mental Health

HotelsmaHotelsma Member Posts: 341 Member Member Posts: 341 Member
Anyone out there suffering with depression, stress, anxiety or any mental health through their weightloss journey feel free to post here. It’s good to talk 👍🏽

Replies

• owieproneowieprone Member Posts: 214 Member Member Posts: 214 Member
    Gaiaresurrected your brain injury team need a good punch in the face!

Good luck on your journey to where you want to be.
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 6,456 Member Member Posts: 6,456 Member
    owieprone wrote: »
    Gaiaresurrected your brain injury team need a good punch in the face!

Good luck on your journey to where you want to be.

That made me chuckle. Brain injury isn't a linear 'recovery', and, in the first couple of years, I massively internalised the "That might improve over time!" throwaway comments, and assumed it was *me* just not-trying-hard-enough. It wasn't, I have lumps of metal in my brain sealing one ruptured and one unruptured aneurysm, and a cluster of 'incidental' aneurysms that are too close to my brain stem and Internal Carotid Artery to be viable for surgery without a very high risk of damaging something important. (Sucks to be me, but I haven't set any scanners off, and had to explain that I have brain-piercings yet.)

Part of the "Some people aren't so lucky!" is irrefutably true, I walked out of the hospital with my shoes on the right feet, but being a walking-talking-living-doll worked against me, the whacking great scar isn't visible because I part my hair to cover it, so nobody knows I had three rounds of brain surgery inside 12 months unless I tell them. There's a loss/bereavement issue tangled up in with the C-PTSD, the NHS did save a life, but it wasn't my 'before' life, if I'd had a limb amputated there's be a visible prosthetic, as it stands, sometimes, I feel like I have a 'wooden brain' where a pirate might have a 'wooden leg'.

Some people do have it much worse; some days I don't feel 'lucky' at all, but I've made this conscious choice to be more forgiving of my body and mind, whilst stretching and challenging them as far as I can. Being chunky, and taking days to recover after carrying groceries home weren't conducive to a positive mindset, taking control of what I can, within safe parameters feels productive, and I'm hoping to stick with it.

I enjoy your posts. I'm of the "Do the best you can with what you've got" group. Keep going--you've come far.