Dismissing my old thinking

Options
ReenieHJ
ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
I was one of those posters who got so discouraged by going 2 weeks with no movement from the scales(or *gasp!!* gaining). So then I'd throw my hands up in the air and think oh wth, all is lost anyways, I'll just really go all hog wild with my food intake and have a set back of regaining most/all of my lost weight. I did that very thing last year and gained back 30# which put me on the scale at a place I hadn't seen in a couple years. :(
I am grateful to have heard the good advice from so many people on MFP who are wiser, stronger, more experienced, in all this than I am. They've taught me it cannot be accomplished in a week, a month, even though I want it and I want it now. I have much more patience, much more 'hmmm, ok, this is what I did that could've been done better'. I come up making a new plan, changing a few things around, get out of my negative head and know that next week/month will be better.
Instead of turning to food to drown and quiet my head, I find something else to do and am patient for the next weekly weigh-in.

Am I permanently there and positive 100% of the time and perfect?? Oh HE!! no. But I am doing the best *I* can, with a little help from my MFP friends and advisors/mentors. <3

So thanks everybody, for being here, and telling me how it is.

Replies

• ladyoftherocks
    ladyoftherocks Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I did that so many times too
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Glad you are doing well now and have a plan to continue that way.
    It is a lifestyle, a life long journey to health and wellness.
    Take care
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, often it does take time and commitment... Glad you came to realize and can continue on your journey... We're all rooting for you!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    For me, the biggest shift away from old thinking is that there are only two ways of eating: The no holds barred, eat anything and as much as pleases me way, and 'being on a diet' - counting every calorie and keeping to a careful limit. There was no in between. That old thinking was especially defeating when I'd 'been good' for 10 days and the numbers on the scale wouldn't budge - or worse - increased! Might as well give up, right?!

Now, I no longer think of eating everything I want as the desirable norm. Limiting my calories and making healthful food choices is no longer 'being on a diet' or 'being good.' Exercise is no longer the thing I do solely to burn calories. It's how a vibrant healthy person takes care of their body. Yes, it's still mega-disappointing to step on a stuck scale - but that number no longer holds the power it once did.

Reading here are MFP really helps remind me of where I want to be on those days when I want to slip back into bad habits. #grateful