Starting to get discouranged :(

Options
This isn't my first time around, and I know what answers I will probably get - but I can't help feel this way.

I am going on just over 2 weeks and I haven't lost a single pound. I started again on this journey just after I finished TOM - and since my last time - I am now on Blood pressure meds and a diuretic - but not even a single ounce?

I weigh everything (diary is open) - and the entries I have logged as a serving are done so because the WEIGHT of that serving on the package is what I took (and the actual weight wasn't an option in the drop down menu)

I have been at a deficit for the full time I have started over and nothing is happening.
I just feel hopeless right now... I was hoping for SOME movement down... right after TOM I actually went UP 1.4lbs - then I lost that a few days later... but...my actual weight from starting up again hasn't gone down at all...

I guess I just needed to vent - no one at home would understand :(

While I am here - slightly unrelated - but when we make a RECIPE - how can we (or CAN we) make the serving size show as a WEIGHT? I did Fajitas you can see in my journal - and I believe I did a serving size based on 120g - but if I use that again another date - how would I remember that?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    While I am here - slightly unrelated - but when we make a RECIPE - how can we (or CAN we) make the serving size show as a WEIGHT? I did Fajitas you can see in my journal - and I believe I did a serving size based on 120g - but if I use that again another date - how would I remember that?

In the number of servings box, enter the total weight of the cooked dish in grams. And then you can add 120 servings to your diary, or another weight of you decide to have a smaller or larger portion.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    @L1zardQueen I won'\t give up now... obviously I just started... but I guess not seeing it work as quickly as the first time is just... bleh...
    :s
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    PS for the rest, patience is important, at least one full menstrual cycle.

Also, did you start exercising? That can cause water retention, masking fat loss on the scale.

Hang in there 🙂
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    @Lietchi I havent started exercise yet no...I think that is why panic is starting to creep in..
    @L1zardQueen said she couldn't see my diary... but I did set it to Public my first go around - is it actually open or do I need to do something else?
    I know before people did see it...
  • TinaLeigh67
    TinaLeigh67 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    @tracymayo1 I can see your diary. It is set public. Don't panic, be patient. I have recently started over myself and it took more than 2 weeks to see any budge in my weight. You can do it!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am using the app, when I can get to my desktop computer I will take a look and see.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten your water uptake up to a good level now (I'm referring to a past thread.)

You're not going to be able to reduce water weight without being properly hydrated, and it's dangerous to your kidneys.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322296#six-reasons-why-drinking-water-may-help-you-lose-weight

It's often said to drink half your weight in ounces of water (or any liquid) daily. So if you weigh 200 pounds, drink 100 ounces daily.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

In addition to the above suggestions, when I add a recipe, I usually weigh out the finished product into x number of equal portions and bag them up for freezing. I then change the recipe to reflect the number of servings. Next time I have that meal, I select '1 serving' from the Recipes tab. When I make the meal again, I edit the recipe, change whatever needs changing (weight of meat used, how much oil, what weight of various veg etc) and repeat. With some meals the number of servings may change each time I make it, depending on how much meat / veg I added.

Alternatively, if your recipe will be identical every time but you want to know how much of it to take, you can always edit the description of the item to say Fajitas 120g instead of just Fajitas.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

In addition to the above suggestions, when I add a recipe, I usually weigh out the finished product into x number of equal portions and bag them up for freezing. I then change the recipe to reflect the number of servings. Next time I have that meal, I select '1 serving' from the Recipes tab. When I make the meal again, I edit the recipe, change whatever needs changing (weight of meat used, how much oil, what weight of various veg etc) and repeat. With some meals the number of servings may change each time I make it, depending on how much meat / veg I added.

Alternatively, if your recipe will be identical every time but you want to know how much of it to take, you can always edit the description of the item to say Fajitas 120g instead of just Fajitas.

This is basically what I do too. Any recipe I go back to edit now I add 1g to the name so I know that every "serving" just means 1g of the finished recipe. This lets me do things like use up leftovers without getting weird about sizes (I'm usually cooking for my family and I'm the only person weighing my portions.) I am getting better at replicating recipes pretty exactly by weight, but I will go in and edit when I make a recipe again, especially for calorically dense things like meat or any oils. If I go over on a few grams for vegetables, I don't usually change it because the calorie difference will be next to nothing. And even with all else being equal, sometimes I end up with a different amount at the end because it evaporated differently while cooking.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    It takes me 3 weeks before the scale budgets. I eat in a deficit and exercise 5miles of power walking a day without eating back exercise calories. Even then my losses are slow and sometimes I gain a pound or two.

Yup. Sometimes it makes no sense. Wouldn't it be nice if X amount of calories over Y amount of time equaled Z amount of weight loss? Last week, I stayed to hard calorie deficit, exercised 5 out of seven days and didn't eat back any exercise calories. Stepped on the scale this morning and GAINED one pound! Ugh!

What's even worse are the well meaning, but patronizing people that 'Tsk tsk tsk. You must not be measuring accurately.'

I have no clue as to the mysteries of weight loss, but know that you are not alone. ❤️

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    When I'm eating in a deficit, I routinely see no scale movement for 3 weeks then 3 weeks worth of loss all in a day or two. Caveat: I'm maintaining so when I go into a deficit it's only to lose a couple pounds to stay in my maintenance range, and my deficit is pretty small. Small losses are hard to see, so I use 7-day average weight to smooth out fluctuation. And small deficits are easy to erase with logging inaccuracies.

I just had the same experience you describe. After many weeks, I was not seeing the loss I expected. I was starting to wonder if I was undercounting my calories and calculated how big my undercount must be to account for the actual weight change I was observing. I KNOW I often see the 3-week-whoosh, and even still I was kind of getting psyched out and thinking I wasn't counting right. But then *whoosh*. I actually lost a little more than I intended and might have overcounted. That is all to say: stick with it and trust the math. The math always works, but not always on the time scale you want.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    [quote="L1zardQueen;c-45933610"]You can’t give up now, you just started. And then starting again, over and over, really sucks. You need to trust this process, it really does work.

I can’t see you diary but as long as you are accurate with intake, you’ll be successful. [/quote]
    u8t9a9uxshi2.jpg

• age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

I suggest .... stop weighing yourself. Clearly, that number on the scale is discouraging to you, so don’t use it.
    There are so many other ways to measure progress such as:
    - how clear is your skin
    - How do you feel
    - How do your clothes fit
    - How far / long can you walk
    - How tired are you or, better yet, how rested are you. How well are you sleeping
    - Are you better able to keep up with your children

It’s only been two weeks, so you may not be feeling any of these differences yet either, but in another few weeks, if you are consistent, then you will.

Take care
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Something to consider. Did you pick your activity level without including exercise when you selected your weightloss goals? If you include the amount you work out and then log your exercise it gives you the same calories twice negatively effecting your weightloss.