NEW but OLD in WISCONSIN

Hey Folks,
I've been a member since 2017 but have recently rededicated myself to losing some weight. I started at 190 and lost 13 pounds, then started a new job working for a cookie company. It didn't help the cause when the product is delish and you get a dozen free cookies a day! Needless to say, with the free cookies and the sample department pushing samples on us office associates, I gained it all back!

A week before my 55th birthday, I started the Noom program, but have cancelled that membership. I am married, my kids are grown and married. I went through surgical menopause in 2008 and take estrogen to keep the night sweats and sleep disturbances in check.

I am looking for anyone in the same group as me to be my friend(s) to help keep me accountable as I navigate the road to losing 50 pounds. I currently have lost 14 pounds by eliminating high fructose corn syrup (soda pop) from my diet and cutting way back on highly processed foods. I'm going to see how things go over the summer and will probably take a membership at the local YMCA in the fall.

I am located in the Greater St. Croix Valley in Wisconsin.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,735 Member
    Hi, and welcome, from a fellow Great-Lakes-er! (I'm in the palm of the Michigan mitten.)

You might enjoy some of the nice people in this group:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/139104-women-over-50-ready-for-2021

Like you, I went through sudden hard-stop menopause, but from chemotherapy in my mid-40s. Because of the type of cancer, I wasn't able to use estrogen, unfortunately (in fact, had to take *anti* estrogen drugs for 7.5 years). I'm hanging out here on MFP after having lost 50+ pounds back in 2015-16, when I was 59-60, obese to the healthy weight range , where I've been since (now 65). Started around 183 (at 5'5") so also close to where you find yourself now.

With apologies, I'm kind of a disaster as an MFP friend (more of a Community forum kind of a gal), but wanted to stop by your intro, say hello and endorse that MFP can be a great tool for achieving weight-management goals, if it fits your style.

Wishing you much success!

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    Maybe I have the wrong friends or am a “friend disaster” myself, but I find the general boards motivate me far more than friends do

. If my family nagging me for years couldn’t hold me accountable, random people on the internet won’t, if you get me.

However, friends have been generally nice just to see what’s going on with the ones who do post, to see what kinds of exercise and meals others are doing.

I’d go crazy if someone came offering me free cookies on a daily basis. If you can overcome that, you’re already a winner in my book!

Anyway, from one older chick to another, much success to you here, and don’t let anyone tell you you can’t do it because of age, post menopausal, yada yada yada. Yes, you can.