I am not eating enough!

Options
13»

Replies

• erica6732
    erica6732 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    try meal replacement shakes or ensure. gnc total lean lean shake packs 180 cal, 9g protein, 30carbs - and the chocolate one is so tasty!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Drinking 30 cups of water in a day might make it more difficult to get enough food in.

This ^ Stop drinking 30 cups of water. Do you realise too much water is not good for you? Is there a reason you did that?

Actually, while the age-old recommendation is 8 cups of water daily, that should really be viewed as a minimum. Many online calculators suggest much more. Based on my weight (which, granted, is pretty high), the calculator I just used suggests 26+ 8-ounce cups daily and that does not account for exercise, excess heat, dry climate, pregnancy, breastfeeding, high altitude, etc. For the record I never get that much in unless I'm working physically in the heat (when I definitely do!), but I don't feel like more would be bad. I think I'm at 10 or 11 today. I am not diabetic and do not take any medicines that would cause unusual thirst.

Others say 2.7 liters for women, 3.7 for men, again not accounting for any other factors, but just as a base amount. In any case, some of this would also come from food.

In a healthy adult, the kidneys can filter and excrete 15 liters of water a day. which is over 63 cups per day. If an individual had a very low sodium diet, renal problems, etc, of course adjustments would need to be made. But just because we've all heard "8 cups" doesn't mean it's correct. Thirty cups is a lot, but it isn't ridiculous, by any means, and the chances of ill effects such as water intoxication are unlikely unless she's trying to drink it all at once.

All of this having been said, however, there must be room for fuel as well. You can eat healthy choices and still include more calorie-dense foods, and in order to have continued success, you'll need to, in my opinion. But then, you know that. : )

I think there were some great suggestions earlier in the thread to help get you going in the right direction with that. Good for you for being open to making adjustments for continued success. :)

30 cups is rediculous in my eyes when there is no need for it and they want to be able to eat more.

I think ridiculous is an unnecessarily judgmental word, but I did also say that there must be room for fuel ("more food") as well. I was responding to the overly promoted, mostly erroneous idea that "too much" water is bad for you, when unless an individual has a health problem, drinks a huge amount at once (like during hazing or a stunt like the person on the radio show), is an endurance athlete who isn't replenishing electrolytes, etc, it pretty much never happens.

Even in the article referenced below, it says "the condition [water intoxication/dilutional hyponatremia] is quite rare in the general population." The diabetes warning could be valid, though.
    Drinking too much water can be very dangerous and can even be fatal due to the sodium imbalance that it might cause. Please see, for example, http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/water-intoxication.htm. Eight cups a day is a good rough estimate, but the amount you should drink can vary according to your weight, activity level, etc. The urge to drink so much water can also be a sign of diabetes, so please get that checked out by your doctor.

[/quote

I can't be bothered reading all you say. Point is too much water is filling her up so who cares about the rest?

lol If you can't be bothered to read it, don't bother replying. Point is this much water isn't dangerous and she has made other adjustments to meet her goal. All is well.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    I started bringing snacks to work (Peanut butter with crackers, hummus) and eating a hard boiled egg here and there and it helped a lot!
    I drink a lot of water because I work in a very dry office environment (I get thirty there) and because my doctor told me that it's good to drink around half your body weight in oz.. I fill up my 32 oz pitcher of water about 2-4 times a day - depending on if I worked out or not.

AND - I drink that much because I am ALWAYS thirsty. I force myself to drink a lot of that water. It's not diabetes.

Anyway, I just just wondering how I could keep myself around my calorie goal because I *was* under it by 200-400 calories. I didn't want to put my body in starvation mode.

I'm glad you found a way to make some slight adjustments that are working for you. Hang in there - you're doing great.
  • marysidneyherbert
    Options
    ViolaPlayer, I was just reading all of this again. So you drink 32 oz. two to four times a day, right? So that is 64-128 ounces, which would be 8 to 16 cups a day. That actually sounds fine to me. Again, when I was warning about the possible diabetes or water intoxication, I was responding to the gal who said she drank 30 cups a day, which is about double what you say you drink at the high end of your range. I was concerned about her drinking that much water. You are drinking 2 to 4 quarts; she is drinking 7.5 quarts (240 ounces).
  • fatmum1
    fatmum1 Posts: 8
    Options
    personally i would say eat well dont worry too much about low fat especially if you are exercising, continue drinking water if that is what you like, i dont drink anything other than water and have done most of my life so if cannot be all bad!!! also i find if i am under during the week it then allows me to to not worry at the weekend when we go out for meals etc so over the week it all balances out.
  • TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    If you can't eat all of your calories do not force yourself otherwise you will end up sick but if you do feel like something to nibble on that is high in calories try some nuts
  • cognita
    cognita Posts: 23
    Options
    drinks!
    Smoothies, soups, all sorts. You could keep hot soups in a flask or something throughout the day to sip at if food isnt an option at work?
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    ViolaPlayer, I was just reading all of this again. So you drink 32 oz. two to four times a day, right? So that is 64-128 ounces, which would be 8 to 16 cups a day. That actually sounds fine to me. Again, when I was warning about the possible diabetes or water intoxication, I was responding to the gal who said she drank 30 cups a day, which is about double what you say you drink at the high end of your range. I was concerned about her drinking that much water. You are drinking 2 to 4 quarts; she is drinking 7.5 quarts (240 ounces).

And a healthy adult, on average, can process 15 liters per day ( which is almost 16 quarts, over 63 cups).

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was trying to be argumentative....that wasn't my intention.

There have been some reported cases (a 2005 hazing, a 2007 radio stunt), where people died from drinking gallons of water all at once, continuing long after they felt unwell, disoriented, nauseous, etc. I mentioned some other circumstances above (renal problems, etc), where fluid intake would need to be restricted, as well.

However, in general, drinking much more that "the norm" throughout the day is perfectly safe, even healthy.

Thanks for listening. Have a good day!