Mental Health and Weight Loss: The Right Balance

Replies

• shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 147 Member
    I would like to respond to the last insert (pengionmam...)I respect your opinion and you have correctly described your tendency to be perceived as offensive if/when you imply "learned helplessness" or "hyper-sensitivity" when one is expressing frustration/disappointment with the simplicity of responses to complex challenges inherent in weight management platforms. I am aware that you have only made one contribution to this embryonic thread and I would encourage you to offer further thoughts as you open your mind to the possibility that you could be more flexible in your analysis of my position and stated concerns. Claiming that the "science" of nutrition provides the excuse for simplifying or over-simplifying the reasons for weight gain and the strategies for the contrary continue the misleading tendency to ignore what happens in the minds of many individuals with real struggles in the paradigm.
    Learned helpless was used incorrectly in your comments as this (rather dated) psychological principle refers to a "no-win" outcome regardless of how an individual performs a task since the outcome is pre-ordained or predetermined by an external force (Seligman & Maier, 1967;Overmier & Seligman, 1967).. In the studies in which "learned helplessness" was discussed, one group of dogs was given repeated, inescapable shocks while restrained. I'm not sure how my challenges with working through my eating issues relate to this concept.
    I think it would be more apt to say that a persistent type of Depression might explain why it is difficult to muster both the motivation and the flexible thinking required to change patterns and initiate more positive responses to change. I am working on this and have made progress. I would just like to acknowledge the effort(s) required rather than attribute the success to following science. That is obvious. What is less obvious and more to the point are the internal battles that need to be waged; and not due to the "sages" that proselytize the gospel of CICI. Rather it is a function of a more positive state of mental health which requires courage and support.
  • shel80kg
    Just wondering if relying on "heavy sleep medication" might be an example of learned helplessness. After all, we have the capacity to sleep and babies do not need to learn this. Perhaps, it is a sign of giving up on going to sleep naturally. Just saying.
  • shel80kg
    ....Or, the application of the concept is (yet again) simplistic and does not account for the ways in which are circadian cycles are altered during our lives. The sleep experts, not unlike the weight management gurus, might offer easy to understand strategies for resuming "normal" or typical sleeping patterns. Tell that to someone with persistent insomnia and note how frustrated he/she may feel knowing what the "science" says but experiencing the sheer frustration with application.
  • shel80kg
    I suspect that the mistaken application of the principle of learned helplessness isn't want you mean. Consider using the more accurate application of :"victim consciousness" which makes more sense and is more in keeping with the tendency for people to perceive a loss of power and control when in fact one has absolute jurisdiction over what he/she puts in his/her mouth. Having said that, I wonder why it is that individuals with severe eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa have the least favourable response to treatment in the entire world of mental health disorders? Not because of learned helplessness

.I think we have to be careful and respectful with our terminology and our tendencies to blame people who are already struggling. But that may be a bridge too far for the people who know everything.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    So I was actually thinking about this in the shower, heh, and I think where I initially was getting hung up is actually in the thread title. I read it as saying that mental health and weight loss are somehow in opposition to each other. I agree that they do have a relationship, but not that they are opposed. If that is your assertion, then I would guess we're dealing with a fundamental disagreement about what mental health is, which is unlikely to be resolved on the thread. But if I've misunderstood, then we can probably find some common language to discuss it.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    The bible talks about transformation and how it happens by the renewing of one's mind. I echo it and will say, without a driven, determined and goal oriented mindset...healthy weightloss wont happen.
  • Kabootom
    Kabootom Posts: 27 Member
    Relationship between diet and mental health is really complex. Our diet can affect our brain in many ways. Like taking a lots of vegetables, seafood, fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil, cereal and grains) supplemented with fish oil can reduce the symptoms of depression.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    shel80kg wrote: »
    Down day..... It all seems a bit pointless to start a new way of eating/behaving. I will most likely break my own rules and make things worse. I feel like giving up .

Did you want to vent or are you looking for problem solving? I can do either! :)