Mental Health and Weight Loss: The Right Balance

Options

Replies

• shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Thank you thinasulike but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I must admit, having said this, that the biases that seem to apparent certainly make me sad as I really do not think I use my mental health issues as a "crutch". In fact, I have been most reluctant to even make references to my depression and anxiety as I understand that however my weight issues have come to pass, it is always about me and my choices. I wonder what my compel someone to be so harsh and critical rather than empathic and kind? I suppose there are unkind people who need to flout their points of view without consideration and objectivity. So be it. I was having a terrible day when I wrote my earlier post and I guess I made a mistake. I feel much better. I went for a run, spoke to a friend and regrouped. Not bad for someone who uses mental health as a "crutch". I haven't binged and feel better about myself despite the rude post which greeted me.
    Back to positive thinking.
    Thanks again
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    Down day..... It all seems a bit pointless to start a new way of eating/behaving. I will most likely break my own rules and make things worse. I feel like giving up .

Been there done that, have the tee shirt, cap, and the tattoo. If I can be of any help feel free to lean an me. Everybody has down days, when you just can't seem to see the plan. I've been lucky, people I love have come to my aid, without judgment or platitudes. I'm grateful for them, and will always be thankful. Everybody needs a leg up now and then. Try and focus on the great things you've already accomplished. It's always easier to get down on yourself.
  • shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I don't know about medication and weight gain but I am aware that the side effects of psychotropic medications can often be more detrimental than the problem. Weight gain could, for some, be one of these paradoxes. Secondly, I think telling our personal stories regarding how we came to the point where our mental health issues have found their way into eating patterns and weight management challenges. For me, food was always considered to be expressions of love, concern, entertainment, gratification, substitution love and the list goes on. A friend that speaks through taste and "fulFILLment" (excuse the pun) and offers no criticism or judgement. A quick and immediate distraction and an ongoing source of relief from boredom and monotony. I am guessing that this is not nearly as uncommon as one might think and quite probably the issues become detrimental when they interfere with day to day life and of course physical health. I would say that I hit the precarious category of morbidly obese in my 40's and have moved in and out of that awful place several times over the past two decades. Not a nice place to be. 3xl shirts and some were tight. Chairs breaking, children staring and pants splitting unless they were so loose one could have used them as curtains. So.....I have tried to rethink my relationship with food and turn away from my caloric mistress. Instead, I am here, reading, learning and eating ideas and possibilities rather than KFC and chips. I am down to just XL and although I am still concerned about taking my shirt off at the beach about 5 minutes from here because someone from Greenpeace may try and rescue me, I am moving towards feeling better about myself. One step at a time. Hope I haven't bored you with my story. Would love to hear what others have been through. Thanks for reading..Shel
  • HawkingRadiation
    HawkingRadiation Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think you guys are having a discussion with an AI training program.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking more about this thread and had a question for readers? Is there a direct relationship between most anti-depressants and weight gain? I have not come across any helpful literature that really explains how the two variables might correlate/cause weight gain. I would be grateful to learn what people think and/or understand about this?
    Thanks

From what I have read, no, there is not a direct causal relationship between anti-depressants and weight gain for every user. There is definitely a correlation between some anti-depressants and weight gain for sure, with some being more likely to correlate with weight gain then others. Some classes of anti-depressants are more likely to be associated with weight gain, with tricyclic and MAOI's being more likely. SSRI's (more commonly prescribed these days) are less likely to be correlated with weight gain. Even within those classes, some individual drugs are more likely to be correlated with weight gain than others. For example, I'm currently on escalitopram (Lexapro), for which weight gain is listed as a side effect in 25% of users. To me, that's pretty high. Welbutrin (another SSRI), is more likely to actually be correlated weight weight loss, however.

In my experience, it did seem gained a bit of weight when I started taking Lexapro again last year. However, my weight then stabilized, and I've actually been able to lose about 10 more pounds since starting it. In fact, once my anxiety symptoms improved, I found myself not stress eating nearly as much.

The mechanisms at play as to what causes the weight gain in some are still unclear. There is the theory that because people are no longer depressed, they gain their appetite and therefore eat more. It also may cause increased carbohydrate cravings in others (I did notice this). It can also make people feel tired, and therefore, less active. Finally, there is some speculation that some can actually decrease your BMR. I know antipsychotic medicines can be much more highly correlated with weight gain than standard anti-depressants.

I used to be on the Reddit forum for Lexapro users, and there were many who gained weight. Some people claimed their eating habits/activity levels had not changed, while others knew they had an increased appetite and were eating more than they were before starting. Still others were so paranoid of weight gain that they were reluctant to take it, and I know that stopping medication because of it can be an issue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

My spidey sense is also tingling, albeit not in that direction.
  • HawkingRadiation
    HawkingRadiation Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My spidey sense is also tingling, albeit not in that direction.

Research paper?