Options
wilson10102018
wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
Anyone eat Shirataki rice?

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Yes and quite a bit. I have been using shirataki for years, before it was trendy and as well know. My favorite way to have it is with a Fish-Free Tuna (Good Catch, very good!) with nutritional yeast, cashew vegan queso, hot sauce and herbs, spices.
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    I should have been clearer. Its on the way but I have not tried it.

I eat fish and rice . . . a lot. And, looking for ways to eat more meals within calorie goals. I would like to hear thumbs up or down on this alternative.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, my favorite style!!!!!!!!!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Thumbs down for me. Just can’t get past the smell of those products. Even after rinsing the memory of the smell makes it hard for me to view them as something edible.

The texture is also rather unpleasant to me but I am, admittedly, fairly texture sensitive.

Not trying to put you off because plenty of people find them palatable! Hopefully, you’re one of them!
  • wilson10102018
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Amazon will bring it tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll do my best not to smell it before I rinse it. What about mixing it with real rice? 50-50?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve not tried a 50/50 mix with real rice but I can share my solution for bulking up rice when I can’t fit a meaningful portion of rice into my meal.

I’ll boil a half portion (30g) and in the last 2 minutes throw in 30g frozen Petit Pois. Bulks up the portion, adds another veg, works with practically any flavour profile. I also, occasionally, do the same with frozen sweetcorn kernels, especially for a Mexican dish.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Amazon will bring it tomorrow or Tuesday. I'll do my best not to smell it before I rinse it. What about mixing it with real rice? 50-50?

Some brands barely have any smell. After you rinse it and cook it up in a pan with seasonings it doesn't smell at all and takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Yes, my favorite style!!!!!!!!!

Meet too!!!!
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    Thumbs down for me. Just can’t get past the smell of those products. Even after rinsing the memory of the smell makes it hard for me to view them as something edible.

The texture is also rather unpleasant to me but I am, admittedly, fairly texture sensitive.

Not trying to put you off because plenty of people find them palatable! Hopefully, you’re one of them!

Miracle rice doesn't smell! Refrigerated can hut it goes away
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Not the rice but the noodles (outside of sushi, rice and I have never really gotten along).

I have at least 4 bags in my fridge at any given time (purchased from one of the local Korean-owned shops, where it isn't priced for gentrification purposes).

Tip, if you end up going this noodle route: drain it then put in the oven for ~30 min to "dry" it out a bit. I find the consistency is more like spaghetti using this method.

Either way - rice or noodles - it is filling and takes on the flavour of anything you add to it.

Have fun!
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    I just watched a youtube video on washing and boiling the starch out of regular white rice reducing calories by 50% A lot of extra work, but 50% reduction would make the fish and rice dishes I fix regularly fit in a lot better. More salmon, less shrimp.
  • VegjoyP
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Not the rice but the noodles (outside of sushi, rice and I have never really gotten along).

I have at least 4 bags in my fridge at any given time (purchased from one of the local Korean-owned shops, where it isn't priced for gentrification purposes).

Tip, if you end up going this noodle route: drain it then put in the oven for ~30 min to "dry" it out a bit. I find the consistency is more like spaghetti using this method.

Either way - rice or noodles - it is filling and takes on the flavour of anything you add to it.

Have fun!

What tempature?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    @VegjoyP My default for most things is 350 🤷🏾‍♀️
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I mix it 50/50 with riced cauliflower. The blend takes away the flavour of the cauliflower.