Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How do people on the Biggest Loser workout so long?

2»

Replies

• lokihenlokihen Member Posts: 324 Member Member Posts: 324 Member
    I'm surprised to hear they are still making TBL. I thought the ratings fell off years ago.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,297 Member Member Posts: 7,297 Member
    I think they stopped for a while and restarted.
  • yirarayirara Member Posts: 6,550 Member Member Posts: 6,550 Member
    I don't do the intense exercise that many of you do, but even with my little chair exercises with 5 pound dumbbells, I find that I have LESS hunger/craving than when I don't do the workout. It doesn't make me extra hungry. Maybe that's because a lot of my "hunger" is really boredom or anxiety that the exercise helps me cope with.

Who knows. If I don’t exercise I crash regularly. Cardio improves things, but strength training really helps. If I stop the crashes come back after about 3 weeks. No idea what it is, but it’s brought on by too little carbs.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,052 Member Member Posts: 24,052 Member
    I don't do the intense exercise that many of you do, but even with my little chair exercises with 5 pound dumbbells, I find that I have LESS hunger/craving than when I don't do the workout. It doesn't make me extra hungry. Maybe that's because a lot of my "hunger" is really boredom or anxiety that the exercise helps me cope with.

Yes, I find mild-moderate exercise to be a mild appetite suppressant. I used to always get the afternoon munchies at work until I created the habit of getting some form of exercise at lunch.
  • NorthCascadesNorthCascades Member Posts: 10,442 Member Member Posts: 10,442 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, I find mild-moderate exercise to be a mild appetite suppressant. I used to always get the afternoon munchies at work until I created the habit of getting some form of exercise at lunch.

Me too. Always have.
  • thisvickyrunsthisvickyruns Member Posts: 143 Member Member Posts: 143 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear they are still making TBL. I thought the ratings fell off years ago.

Yeah I thought they stopped after a load of stories about contestants being given appetite suppressants and stuff came out?
  • janejellyrolljanejellyroll Member, Premium Posts: 25,741 Member Member, Premium Posts: 25,741 Member
    lokihen wrote: »

Yeah I thought they stopped after a load of stories about contestants being given appetite suppressants and stuff came out?

They rebranded themselves as a show about wellness, but my understanding is that nothing changed except for some window dressing (I haven't seen the new episodes, basing this on descriptions).
  • wunderkindkingwunderkindking Member Posts: 645 Member Member Posts: 645 Member
    I think hunger/not with exercise kind of depends on consistency and also duration and all sorts of personal things. If I go for a run and my heart rate is up I'm pretty sure most of my blood flow is going to the parts being worked hard, and not my digestion, and endorphins seem to quash my appetite too. Also this only applies to short, faster runs (5K or so).

If I do a slowish 10 mile hike, I'm not going to be hungry immediately after or during but I am going to want to eat roughly half a cow an hour or two later (Or that evening).

edited June 8
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 2,977 Member Member Posts: 2,977 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    tsazani wrote: »
    It's just another ridiculously stupid TV show. I've never seen it.

Exercise has little or nothing to do with losing FAT. That's done by DIET a/o FASTING.

Higher intensity exercise causes stress which releases cortisol and spikes sugar.

The sugar rush will spike your insulin putting your body into fat storage mode. You will be very hungry and overeat carbohydrates.

Hmm, can't imagine how I dropped a size without even trying while in Costa Rica and eating high sugar mangos and other tropical fruit all day long as well as high carb rice & beans twice per day...

Same only not even as healthy as mango. I'm down 45lbs from obese to healthy and my food yesterday included a bag of chips and a candy bar. The candy bar at points has been DAILY.

Weird, weird, weird. Guess we're magic.

Can you feel your horn growing little unicorn? :smiley:
  • JessD9031JessD9031 Member Posts: 49 Member Member Posts: 49 Member
    Please don't tell me you believe that the Biggest Loser is a real thing?

Its Jersey Shore for the food obsessed.
  • MotorsheenMotorsheen Member Posts: 19,902 Member Member Posts: 19,902 Member
    JessD9031 wrote: »
    Please don't tell me you believe that the Biggest Loser is a real thing?

Its Jersey Shore for the food obsessed.

tenor.gif?itemid=12446406