Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options
Is it ok to eat snickers if it fits your daily calorie allowance? Or is that going to *slow down* your weight loss (even thou it fits the allotted daily calories). Im asking because I know its not HEALTHY, but I can have it and not go over my calories.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    yes you can :)

As long as you have tracked your calories accurately and have had a decent enough amount of protein for the day then go for it!
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    yes you can :)

As long as you have tracked your calories accurately and have had a decent enough amount of protein for the day then go for it!
    thanks!!

So it wont SLOW the progress?? :D
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Why not? Your body doesn't suddenly slam the brakes on the metabolic process because it's a Snickers calorie instead of a lettuce calorie. It's just a unit of energy.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not an every day thing, then I would go for it. I try to keep my sugar indulging limited to once or twice a week becuase it's like a drug for me and I know if I give in to much, I will go back to old habits.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have Snikcers icecream most weeknights :) A calorie is a calorie. Your car can't tell whether is petrol came from BP or Caltex, your body can't tell if your calorie came from a Snickers or a salad.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    yes
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Can you physically eat it? Yes. Should you? That's a different question.

If you're looking to lose weight and keep it off, trying to fit in Snickers, or cake, or a stick of butter, is probably not wise. It's about making better choices for the rest of your life. It's about having a sensible relationship with food and not having a binge mentality.

That's why I don't believe in "cheat" days and the like. If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I don't know, can you?
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    THANKS alot guys!! I just thought since its a "chocolate" the body will take it negatively. Because calories from a salad would be better for weight loss than in chocolate..I guess because of the sugar and what not.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    In general terms, no it won't impede progress.

That being said, the level of your deficit, overall nutritional intake etc are important factors, but it is important to remember that calories in vs calories out is still the primary determinant of weight loss.

I believe one should take a balanced, long term approach to fat loss. Having a snickers now will lessen your caloric deficit for today, but will it leave you feeling satisfied for having eaten it? Are you still under maintenance calories? If the answer to these is yes, then go for it.

For most people (who do not have disordered eating habits and can consume foods in moderation) having the occasional treat will improve longer term dietary adherence and lead to better long-term results.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    My main question was is it would "SLOW" down the weight loss process..but I guess if it fits the calorie allotment then why not?

Reading yalls reply..it makes sense the body cant tell if its chocolate or anything else, as long as I fit it in to my schedule the process will go on iA.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A Snickers a day keeps the doctor away.

Seriously go ahead it won't slow down your weight loss. If it fits your calories it fits! Seriously.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calories and macros, then hell yes!
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options

Sometimes the sugar macro is a problem. Its really low on here for some reason.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No, you can't eat a Snickers, because in the time you spent thinking about it, I stole it and ate it.
  • whierd
    Options

Sugar isn't a macro. Macros are Carbs, Fats, and Proteins. Sugar is a carb, therefore a derivative.

And yes, MFP, by default, sets your protein goal too low and your sugar goal too low. You can manually change this to fit your specific goals though.

However, unless you have a medical condition, such as diabetes, then you have no real reason to track sugar specifically. Just pay attention to overall carbs.
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options

Sugar isn't a macro. Macros are Carbs, Fats, and Proteins. Sugar is a carb, therefore a derivative.

And yes, MFP, by default, sets your protein goal too low and your sugar goal too low. You can manually change this to fit your specific goals though.

However, unless you have a medical condition, such as diabetes, then you have no real reason to track sugar specifically. Just pay attention to overall carbs.

right, gotcha!

So Im going to take out the sugar than. I always thought that sugar from chocolate (even thou it fits my day) would be a problem because of the sugar and what not.

thanks
  • whierd
    Options

right, gotcha!

So Im going to take out the sugar than. I always thought that sugar from chocolate (even thou it fits my day) would be a problem because of the sugar and what not.

thanks

Nope, not a problem at all!

The things that I track are Carbs, fats, proteins, fiber, and sodium.
  • shaggydaddy
    Options
    Snickers are yummy!