Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I eat garbage fast food, smoothies and shakes, and sugary sweet high carb pastries/bread while I'm cutting.
    389-Impossibru.jpg

LOL Bro do you even macro

No, I follow the laws of thermodynamics

that dude has some serious constipation going on ...
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    "Can I eat Snickers even if it fits my calories?"

As I said earlier, I have some reservations about the question because I believe it leads to a binge mentality. Asking if you can have something because you think it's "bad" leads to thinking that you deserve a "treat" that you can't have normally. No, the OP didn't discuss a cheat day, I brought it up because I see a lot of people here having them so they can have their "treats." This cheat day ends up being basically a binge day which I don't see as part of having a healthy relationship with food.

I have disordered eating issues, so when I see and hear these comments, I can't think that it's just calories and I should be able to fit it in. If someone is on a 1200 calories/day plan -- which is also quite popular here, too -- then eating 300 calories of sugar (and a least some peanuts) is 25% of those calories. How can they possibly get the nutrition they need on that?

I think a lot of people who are saying sure you can eat it, aren't asking these kinds of questions. They may not have disordered thinking when it comes to food. I don't know if the OP is like this or not, that's not really the point, because not all dieters are alike (I tend to view it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.)

As for the "treat," I just don't like viewing food as a reward. It's just something to fuel your body. Some of it tastes better than others, some has more nutrients than others, but it's just food. No reward. Just fuel. I talked to registered dietitian who had a very clear understanding of eating disorders and she also told me that people who have unhealthy relationships with food tend to view food as a reward. People will think, "I deserve this because I had a hard day," but that's not what food is...it's just food.

Once I let that go, everything got a lot easier. I don't binge. I don't "treat" myself. I just eat what I want and I don't equate food to reward status or mood elevator. It also helps that my blood sugar and body is in much better shape.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.

as long as OP is in a calorie deficit what does it matter?

From my original post above:

If you want to eat something, eat it and move on. Don't binge, don't beat yourself up and don't question your choices. If you do any of the above, then you need to work on your relationship with food, sugar or whatever has a hold over you.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Go for it - having one snickers bar and saying it will delay weight loss is saying one ab crunch gives you a six pack.
    Moderation is key!
  • AstroRocket
    AstroRocket Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Of course you can, what a silly question. Just because your on a diet doesn't mean you can't treat yourself from time to time, all in moderation though of course :)
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. Eat it, enjoy it, log it in, make it fit.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make yourself do extra exercise to earn one when you want one but have it as a rule that you meet your basic calories with healthier foods?
    Cause this leads to an eating disorder. Think about it. You keep making "bad" choices and you use cardio to cover up the real issue. The real issue being a lack of self control and not using moderation.

Never use cardio to cover up the fact that you're eating too much.

So on the assumption they are going to eat the Snickers anyway it's better to be falling short on more nutritious foods? I'm really not suggesting copious amounts of exercise to allow binge eating, just earning a little treat here and there once in a while without sacrificing your healthy food intake.
    Add the "treat" into your daily plan and you won't have to do extra cardio.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

As I said earlier, I have some reservations about the question because I believe it leads to a binge mentality. Asking if you can have something because you think it's "bad" leads to thinking that you deserve a "treat" that you can't have normally. No, the OP didn't discuss a cheat day, I brought it up because I see a lot of people here having them so they can have their "treats." This cheat day ends up being basically a binge day which I don't see as part of having a healthy relationship with food.

I have disordered eating issues, so when I see and hear these comments, I can't think that it's just calories and I should be able to fit it in. If someone is on a 1200 calories/day plan -- which is also quite popular here, too -- then eating 300 calories of sugar (and a least some peanuts) is 25% of those calories. How can they possibly get the nutrition they need on that?

I think a lot of people who are saying sure you can eat it, aren't asking these kinds of questions. They may not have disordered thinking when it comes to food. I don't know if the OP is like this or not, that's not really the point, because not all dieters are alike (I tend to view it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet.)

As for the "treat," I just don't like viewing food as a reward. It's just something to fuel your body. Some of it tastes better than others, some has more nutrients than others, but it's just food. No reward. Just fuel. I talked to registered dietitian who had a very clear understanding of eating disorders and she also told me that people who have unhealthy relationships with food tend to view food as a reward. People will think, "I deserve this because I had a hard day," but that's not what food is...it's just food.

Once I let that go, everything got a lot easier. I don't binge. I don't "treat" myself. I just eat what I want and I don't equate food to reward status or mood elevator. It also helps that my blood sugar and body is in much better shape.

This is seriously disordered thinking, and a bit all over the place to boot.

It's not a moral question, it's a snickers. And the answer is: if you are getting enough nutrition, you can eat anything that fits in your cals without compromising your progress.

If you tdee is high, then snickers are an awesome way to fill out your food for the day.
  • myfitnesspaller
    myfitnesspaller Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Now I want a snickers, and I wasn't planning on getting out again tonight. I like them better frozen so I will have to wait until I get off work tomorrow, get one on the way home, throw it in the freezer and eat it tomorrow night at the earliest. If the craving passes it will be ready for next time.

smart! mA

the only problem is..what if youre craving one atm and its sitting right infront of you..and not frozen yet? :D
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options
    If I knew how to upload pics from google I would be doing so right now.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Now I want a snickers, and I wasn't planning on getting out again tonight. I like them better frozen so I will have to wait until I get off work tomorrow, get one on the way home, throw it in the freezer and eat it tomorrow night at the earliest. If the craving passes it will be ready for next time.

smart! mA

the only problem is..what if youre craving one atm and its sitting right infront of you..and not frozen yet? :D

Just buy the frozen ice cream version instead. They're awesomtastic!
  • myfitnesspaller
    Options

smart! mA

Just buy the frozen ice cream version instead. They're awesomtastic!

I meant, if he was craving one really bad..would he eat it if it wasnt frozen at that point?

and yeah..basking robbins now has this 31 below snickers ice cream..pretty good.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

That is me 100% and that is why I believe in what you said - and why I dont understand the people who claim I can eat whatever i want - (and that usually means cheat food treats). Now I confess, I do have a treat once in a while but its still within reasonable boundaries.. the last true cheat food was when i was on vacation but i still tried to keep it reasonable, so i didn't totally abandon my goals with candy or pizza or Popeyes chicken or Taco Bell. In other words, I do not give myself cheat treats on a regular basis - because it does take away from valuable nutrients my body could use better. And Im enjoying it too. so i keep my mind set on healthy eating, and I really do not desire that crap. The main thing is - i am working too hard to lose weight and it is not worth it to indulge in something that will harm me. not worth it at all. and I dont crave it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

That is me 100% and that is why I believe in what you said - and why I dont understand the people who claim I can eat whatever i want - (and that usually means cheat food treats). Now I confess, I do have a treat once in a while but its still within reasonable boundaries.. the last true cheat food was when i was on vacation but i still tried to keep it reasonable, so i didn't totally abandon my goals with candy or pizza or Popeyes chicken or Taco Bell. In other words, I do not give myself cheat treats on a regular basis - because it does take away from valuable nutrients my body could use better. And Im enjoying it too. so i keep my mind set on healthy eating, and I really do not desire that crap. The main thing is - i am working too hard to lose weight and it is not worth it to indulge in something that will harm me. not worth it at all. and I dont crave it.
    Food is food. There is no such thing as a cheat. You cheat on taxes, you can even cheat on your wife/husband. HOWEVER, you can't cheat on food.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Food is food. There is no such thing as a cheat. You cheat on taxes, you can even cheat on your wife/husband. HOWEVER, you can't cheat on food.

That's true, but you can have cheat days in which you eat back some of your weekly deficit calories.

On topic: Yes you can eat snickers if it fits your calories. Just make sure you wash it first so that it's "clean".
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

This. I don't call foods treats or cheat foods, I don't have cheat days... I make choices that fit into my calories for the day. Calling foods bad etc. just brings judgment into the choice and I think it's better just to look at the numbers. There should not be so much grief involved in making a decision about eating a Snickers.
  • ms1judy1d
    ms1judy1d Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky question. I'd say, it depends. I would not be able to do it. When I eat sugar, it sets up an irresistible craving and I just want more and more. It's easier for me not to eat it in the first place than it is to try and stop once I start. It's about addiction for me, and I am surely a sugar addict. But if you are one of those people that can have just a little bit of sweets and be okay, then why not? You get to decide.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky question. I'd say, it depends. I would not be able to do it. When I eat sugar, it sets up an irresistible craving and I just want more and more. It's easier for me not to eat it in the first place than it is to try and stop once I start. It's about addiction for me, and I am surely a sugar addict. But if you are one of those people that can have just a little bit of sweets and be okay, then why not? You get to decide.
    Which brings us back to: everyone has to decide for themselves. Everyone has to be honest with themselves about their relationship with food. We talk a lot about iffym, but each of us has to determine what that means to us, how important it is, and how well we do that. The answer to these types of questions is: it depends.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Which brings us back to: everyone has to decide for themselves. Everyone has to be honest with themselves about their relationship with food. We talk a lot about iffym, but each of us has to determine what that means to us, how important it is, and how well we do that. The answer to these types of questions is: it depends.

I agree,, i understand the IIFYM concept, however, we do have to decide IF and HOW it could work for each of us. we may NOT be able to do IIFYM, or may be able to do it somewhat.. i mean we all in a way ARE working the nutrition in the IIFYM, but because someone else can eat a candy bar, does not mean I can, oh yeah i could but i wouldn't, if its going to cause my goals to be disrupted.

there was a book with a title awhile back that i liked "Thin Tastes Better". thats waht i say to a candy bar that would mess up my goals.