High-protein vegan alternative to soy?

Options
Does anyone have any good alternative vegan suggestions to soy products for hitting protein macros? I make homemade soy milk every second day and eat the pulp too, snack on edamame beans, eat oodles of tofu and use soy chunks as a storecupboard backup... but I think my gut bacteria would enjoy a bit more variety! I work out 5-6 days a week (40 mins strength, 30 mins cardio), and try to hit a 45/30/25 carb/protein/fat breakdown. The other high-protein hitters in my diet are seitan and protein powders. I'd love any advice you could give me!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I opened this thread to suggest seitan, but it sounds like you're already eating that.

Are you regularly eating legumes other than soy? I eat lots of black beans, lentils, and chickpeas. Beans are a pretty good source of protein.
  • EimearTheDreamer4
    EimearTheDreamer4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @
    I opened this thread to suggest seitan, but it sounds like you're already eating that.

Are you regularly eating legumes other than soy? I eat lots of black beans, lentils, and chickpeas. Beans are a pretty good source of protein.

@janejellyroll Thanks so much for your comment! I do eat a lot of lentils and I'm not to be trusted alone with a tub of hummus 😂 I could probably do with eating more beans, though (and less bread to keep the carbs balanced, booooo!)
  • ClimbingWolf
    ClimbingWolf Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    See the seitan and chickpeas and lentils already mentioned.. Could also try halloumi, make some salad with high-protein mozarella cheese and halloumi it's great meal with good proteins. Could also make a chickpeas burger.

Honestly, with more people going vegan, in my country there are suddenly much more options to buy ready-made vegan products which I enjoy. Check one of those out.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    See the seitan and chickpeas and lentils already mentioned.. Could also try halloumi, make some salad with high-protein mozarella cheese and halloumi it's great meal with good proteins. Could also make a chickpeas burger.

Honestly, with more people going vegan, in my country there are suddenly much more options to buy ready-made vegan products which I enjoy. Check one of those out.

Halloumi and mozzarella aren't vegan (unless you're referring to high protein vegan versions that are available in your country).
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Without your caveat I would have said tempeh.

So...Spinach? Nutritional yeast?

Then there is all the highly processed vegan/vegetarian food you can find in specialty health stores (or many an Asian grocer) these days 🤷🏿‍♀️
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Flour is high in protein and can be used in a myriad of ways. Baking - flatbreads, crackers etc. It can be made into a batter and used to replace eggs in quiche style dishes. Loads of other uses too!

22g protein per 100g compared to 13.5g per 100g for soya beans.
  • ClimbingWolf
    ClimbingWolf Posts: 298 Member
    Options

Halloumi and mozzarella aren't vegan (unless you're referring to high protein vegan versions that are available in your country).

yeah I order them from a special store, or online. And my bad I mentioned halloumi (it looked like it lol) but meant the greek vegan fetacheese.. But it's been a while, moreoften I just buy the ready-made vegan substitutes for meat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

yeah I order them from a special store, or online. And my bad I mentioned halloumi (it looked like it lol) but meant the greek vegan fetacheese.. But it's been a while, moreoften I just buy the ready-made vegan substitutes for meat.

Thanks for clarifying. We don't have many high protein vegan cheeses in the US, although I'd love the chance to try some. I've made my own vegan "halloumi," but it's made from tofu.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Chickpea Flour is high in protein and can be used in a myriad of ways. Baking - flatbreads, crackers etc. It can be made into a batter and used to replace eggs in quiche style dishes. Loads of other uses too!

22g protein per 100g compared to 13.5g per 100g for soya beans.

Yes, and there are traditional ways of using it (like Sicilian panelle) to make sort-of fritters or cakes that can be cut in slabs to put in sandwiches, or in chunks for other dishes.

Another thing that helps me with protein goals, and is vegan, is chickpea or red lentil pastas or "rice" (really orzo shaped pasta, but they market it as "chickpea rice"). This is a somewhat more processed food, don't know if that's problem for you, but I wouldn't call it "highly processed". It has around twice as much protein as most wheat pasta.

It helps me to think about those little bits of protein I can add here and there, also - they add up over the day. I'm talking about things like nutritional yeast, peanut butter powder (or almond butter powder) which is lower fat than the nut butter but good in (say) a peanut-chili sauce for stir fries, miso (oops, soy - but not entirely soy!). Maybe you already exploit those, dunno.

Another thing that can be helpful in that regard is the regular protein spreadsheet linked in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

The spreadsheet lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. Since it's omnivore-oriented, there are many meaty/fishy things at the top, but if you scroll down you'll get to vegan-friendly choices. This was a good resource for me to identify the more protein-rich veggies, fruits, grains, etc., among available choices. (Obviously, some of these will be less EAA (essential amino acid) complete as protein sources, but in a highly varied diet that can still make a contribution via side dishes and ingredients.)

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Do you like eggs?

There is a product called Just Egg (vegan)- 2 'eggs' are 13 grams of protein.
  • HabitRabbit
    HabitRabbit Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hemp hearts (10g protein for 3 tbsp,180 cal), green peas (8.6g for 1c, 134cal)