My weight loss isn't fast like last year

Options
Last year I lost 17 kg in 6 months and I lost like 8 kg in one month itsself. But now it's going very slow. It's my 4th day but I feel something is wrong . I'm eating the same calories and stuff

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,170 Member
    Options
    4th day, you say? You're going to need to be more patient than that, way too short a period to even know if something is 'wrong'. Try a month and see what progress you've made by then.

Aside from that, it would be useful to have more information about you and your goals and calorie intake before giving more advice.
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    4th day, you say? You're going to need to be more patient than that, way too short a period to even know if something is 'wrong'. Try a month and see what progress you've made by then.

Aside from that, it would be useful to have more information about you and your goals and calorie intake before giving more advice.

I weigh 92 kg. 174 cm height. I eat around 1800 calories a day which I assume is 500 less than my maintenance . On top of that I burn 500 calories daily by walking 10000 or 12000 steps a day. I weight lift sometimes too but I might stop it and just stick to walking and a deficit .
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Why do you want to stop lifting weights? You're aiming to lose fat, I presume, not just 'weight': lifting weights will help you preserve muscle mass, especially when aiming for an aggressive 1000 calorie deficit. The water retention for muscle repair might mask fat loss on the scale (if you start again after having stopped) but l still be losing fat, just temporarily not seeing it a much on the scale.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Are you at the same weight you were last year? The same activity level? The less you weigh, the slower the losses.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    4 days is far too soon to make any assessment. Monitor your progress for a month and then see. I can highly recommend using a weight trend app like Libra to see your trend.
  • sultank101
    Options
    Are you at the same weight you were last year? The same activity level? The less you weigh, the slower the losses.

I was 90 last year In march. In July last year I was 72. Now I'm 90 again ..and my weight loss isn't going so fast because I thought the fatter you are the more you Lose first month
  • sultank101
    Options
    Why do you want to stop lifting weights? You're aiming to lose fat, I presume, not just 'weight': lifting weights will help you preserve muscle mass, especially when aiming for an aggressive 1000 calorie deficit. The water retention for muscle repair might mask fat loss on the scale (if you start again after having stopped) but l still be losing fat, just temporarily not seeing it a much on the scale.

I wanna get skinny first then bulk later...but I feel like I have no idea how to lift etc.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    sultank101 wrote: »

I wanna get skinny first then bulk later...but I feel like I have no idea how to lift etc.

It's a lot easier to lose muscle than to build muscle.

Also, have you worked out before you started losing weight again? If you've just started walking more and lifting then you're most likely dealing with water retention.
  • Lietchi
    Options

Muscle mass is more easily lost than it is gained. So IMHO its a better strategy to aim to preserve muscle mass while losing weight. Things you can do to preserve muscle mass : eat sufficient protein, do strength training and don't try to lose weight too fast.

As for not knowing how to lift, you could ask advice in the exercise section of the forums or party a trainer at a local gym to help get you started.
  • Lietchi
    edited May 2021
    Options

I was 90 last year In march. In July last year I was 72. Now I'm 90 again ..and my weight loss isn't going so fast because I thought the fatter you are the more you Lose first month

Your weight (fat) loss is dictated by the size of the calorie deficit. And the larger you are, the faster you can lose safely.
    But the fast weight loss in the beginning is mostly water weight, not fat, and does not happen to every one, and might not happen to you this time even though it did last time.
  • sultank101
    Options

Muscle mass is more easily lost than it is gained. So IMHO its a better strategy to aim to preserve muscle mass while losing weight. Things you can do to preserve muscle mass : eat sufficient protein, do strength training and don't try to lose weight too fast.

As for not knowing how to lift, you could ask advice in the exercise section of the forums or party a trainer at a local gym to help get you started.

I weight lift three times a week ...15 mins each session. Even that feels so tiring but I feel the pressure . should I start off small like that and then work my way up later like to 30 min each session . And I'm following a full body workout on YouTube mainly since I'm a beginner .with dumbells and barbells
  • sultank101
    Options

Your weight (fat) loss is dictated by the size of the calorie deficit. And the larger you are, the faster you can lose safely.
    But the fast weight loss in the beginning is mostly water weight, not fat, and does not happen to every one, and might not happen to you this time even though it did last time.

So the reason it's very slow is because I'm losing fat this time instead of water ?
  • sultank101
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

It's a lot easier to lose muscle than to build muscle.

Also, have you worked out before you started losing weight again? If you've just started walking more and lifting then you're most likely dealing with water retention.

Nope I was very lazy before starting . I started on Thursday and my diet before that was unhealthy food with no activity .
  • sultank101
    Options

I'm struggling to eat alot of protein . I just have 50g to 60g daily and the reason I'm starting to feel like not doing weight lifting is because I feel ill lose muscle since I don't know how much protein to eat for my weight. The workout part I'm following full body workouts at home for 15 min .I want to start small and then workout for more time later. But one question . If I aim to lose fat and build muscle won't that be ten times harder and slower
  • Lietchi
    Options

I'm struggling to eat alot of protein . I just have 50g to 60g daily and the reason I'm starting to feel like not doing weight lifting is because I feel ill lose muscle since I don't know how much protein to eat for my weight. The workout part I'm following full body workouts at home for 15 min .I want to start small and then workout for more time later. But one question . If I aim to lose fat and build muscle won't that be ten times harder and slower

You need sufficient protein to preserve muscle mass, whether you're strength training or not, so that is an issue to address.
    I recommend looking for protein sources here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1

As for the strength training itself, I'll refrain from giving advice since I'm no expert. But you can take a look here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

PS: aiming for a deficit of 1000 calories a day, gaining muscle mass is very unlikely. But the more muscle you can conserve during weight loss, the better.
    Not sure what you mean by 'harder' weight loss. Slower just requires more patience. And faster is not better. Consider that your faster weight loss lead to regain last time, so perhaps aiming to do the same thing as last time might not be the best strategy. Slower weight loss is easier: you can eat more while losing weight and you have time to make durable changes to your habits (instead of temporary changes to lose weight quickly and then 'go back to normal' afterwards and then gain back the weight).
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    What's your overall goal and motivation for this weight loss process? Which of these are you most motivated by:
    - seeing a certain number on the scale
    - improving your health (if so, which aspect specifically)
    - improving your fitness (if so, which aspect specifically)
    - fitting into a certain piece of clothing or a certain clothing size
    - something else?

It seems to me that you need to find some clarity about your goals, motivation and what you really want first, and then you can find a plan and advice that's truly appropriate to your goals.

If it's hard to choose just one main goal, maybe describe what you'd want your lifestyle and body to be like in 3 years. Example: In 3 years I want to be a healthy mom who passes a healthy diet and lifestyle on to her child(ren). I want to be in a clothing size that can be found in regular clothing stores, and I want to have enough strength and endurance to enjoy working out, running after my kid or a bus without getting winded, and to be able to genuinely enjoy various physical activities.

From this I gather that I need to make long-term dietary and lifestyle changes to match my vision of that healthy diet and lifestyle, lose some weight to become smaller, and increase both strength and endurance to not hate the thought of running. Since all are somewhat equally important, I need a balanced long-term plan that is sustainable and that I'm able to stick with for the rest of my life, since I want lifelong habits that I can pass on to my kids.

If your goal is to genuinely reach a certain weight or clothing size regardless of other implications, then that needs to be a conscious decision. A big part of creating a sustainable weight loss plan is, in my opinion, coming to terms with the fact that it will be slow if you want to also preserve muscle mass, increase your health and so on. It took you 10 months to gain 18kg, realistically it will take you several months to lose them again. Also, losing so fast you also lose muscle means you also lose your fat-burning engine, since muscle mass burns energy simply by existing, and you'll make it harder for yourself to lose weight the next time.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    If you added the workouts at the same time as the calorie deficit, you're probably retaining some water.

If you're new to lifting, you'll add some muscle, even in a deficit - but you should lift to retain muscle, because you'll be stronger, fitter, leaner, and look better than if you just lose *weight* instead of primarily losing *fat*.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options

But one question . If I aim to lose fat and build muscle won't that be ten times harder and slower

Ask yourself one question: do you want to lose fat or see a certain number on the scale? You're mixing two different things here. Also, accidental muscle gain doesn't happen overnight. You have to work hard for it, really hard. You won't gain muscles with 15 minute workouts.