Vacation

Options
My husband and I are traveling to Key West for the first time in a few days.

I want to enjoy my vacation, but I also don't want to gain a lot of weight.

Prior to Covid we traveled 2-3 times a year, but this is our first time going on a week long vacation since December, 2019. I'm a bit nervous as I'm leaning towards taking a diet break.

I started my weight loss journey in January, 2020. I have lost 88lbs and have 15 to go. (Even when I plan to indulge it's because I have stored exercise calories. I also log those days.)

Do you continue to use myfitnesspal on vacation, or do you just take your vacation and enjoy yourself then get back on track when you return home?

Replies

• mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight; I truly appreciate it. I'm definitely going to look into a refeed, @cmriverside
  • mel941980
    mel941980 Posts: 49 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    if it was my first holiday in 18 months I would be eating all the food, drinking all the drinks and giving zero kittens.

And then get back to the deficit the day I got home again :wink:

LOL! That's what my husband suggested, too.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I don't try to stay in a deficit on vacation. Any "weight" uptick always goes away after a week or two being back home and back to my routine.

There's a lot of walking in Key West.

Enjoy.

Amen. The Keys are a trip! I say that loose "tracking" mindfulness, is ok. Just take it easy on Duval Street. That "crawl" to the mile marker can be rough.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I don't try to stay in a deficit on vacation. Any "weight" uptick always goes away after a week or two being back home and back to my routine.

Enjoy.

Amen. The Keys are a trip! I say that loose "tracking" mindfulness, is ok. Just take it easy on Duval Street. That "crawl" to the mile marker can be rough.....

You talking a pub crawl? One needs a certain amount of lime juice and maybe coconut in order to arrive at the "Southermost Point." :)
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    While I was losing I'd log loosely - quantities would be guesswork but I'd at least have a record of the sort of things I was eating. I'm now maintaining and on a holiday at the moment, and I'm experimenting with not logging. I'm being pretty active anyway and just eating to hunger, logging one thing a day to maintain my streak but not worrying about the rest. It will be interesting to see what impact it has, but at the moment I can afford to gain a pound or two anyway so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    While I was losing I'd log loosely - quantities would be guesswork but I'd at least have a record of the sort of things I was eating. I'm now maintaining and on a holiday at the moment, and I'm experimenting with not logging. I'm being pretty active anyway and just eating to hunger, logging one thing a day to maintain my streak but not worrying about the rest. It will be interesting to see what impact it has, but at the moment I can afford to gain a pound or two anyway so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

You don't have to add anything to your food diary to maintain your streak - just log into the app. If you pop in to read the forums, you won't lose your streak. Nothing at all to do with logging your food.

Even if you do lose your streak you can reset it:

From "Help" (at the top of any page)

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032624931-My-login-days-in-a-row-counter-is-incorrect-How-do-I-fix-this-
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Enjoy.

You talking a pub crawl? One needs a certain amount of lime juice and maybe coconut in order to arrive at the "Southermost Point." :)

https://duvalcrawl.com/ >:)>:)
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So I can easily consume 3000 calories a day with food and alcohol on vacation in a week. I have to plan and log both my food and exercise. In 2017 I went up 10lbs from a week long vacation in Vagas. I think a normal person would be fine I personally can out eat most large men and did just that.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't log. If it's a relatively sedentary vacation I will be somewhat careful. If it's my usual, outdoor activity centric, vacation I will eat anything that comes near me. In most cases it's somewhere between. But in no case am I logging anything.