Gym shirts that I just don't understand

Options

Replies

• ncsjodi
    ncsjodi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I work out at our local YMCA and they would definitely NOT tolerate language like that on t-shirts. They are very focused on the whole family and there are children everywhere in the building. I'm pretty sure there's a sign in the wellness center saying that profanity is not allowed. Have you said anything to the staff there?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A lot of Americans born 75 and after seem to be lacking common sense/ public manners. It's a common trait with generation X, part of the whole entitlement ideal instilled in them.

You should see some of them overseas, they tend to give the rest of us quite a bad reputation.

I think that's Gen Y...Gen X'ers are a wee bit older :laugh: and gawd, I should hope they don't behave as you've observed.
    Gen X are people born btw 1966 to 1976 and somehow I think the description is likely to fit those born btw '97-'94. Then again, I could be wrong. All of this is subjective & of course, personal opinion :wink:

ETA: not that it matters much...it just struck me as funny that someone, possibly in their mid 40's wearing a shirt like that in public just screams creeper :laugh:
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I noticed people fighting over the religious part. I am agnostic. I have not said I wanted to turn them in. I am saying I am confused some people don't automatically think oh this is a kids place this place might not be the best place for my crude tee shirt. I, back in 1996 had a shirt that was a mr rodger shirt of him saying **** you as the word of the day. But I wore it to skate board park and rock concerts. I don't think even at my most rebellious teen years I would of picked a young kid heavy area to throw it on for.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    Y.M.C. A. = Young Men's CHRISTIAN Association......hmmmm..... seems to me they need to drop the middle name!
    Why should they change their name. Just because people like me who are agnostic or atheist will use their services doesn't mean that they as a Christian non profit need to change anything about their core values because of the diversity of members they allow. They don't push bible study on anyone but only offer it. I have major question about the consistency of the bible but why should my views or anyone else's view of the bible decide whether or not YMCA continues to have a C in the name. If it bothers me I don't have to go there. They did their only requirement of me which was not to ask my religious stance as a qualification for membership. Because they don't discriminate and force feed their views upon me the least I can do is treat myself as a good guest would. Respect isn't a mutually exclusive thing. Christians to atheist both have people who seem to lack it. I am almost willing to bet that atleast half of the people would identify as Christian if asked. I don't think this is a "screw this Christian group" action. It's just a lack of personal judgement.
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I noticed people fighting over the religious part. I am agnostic. I have not said I wanted to turn them in. I am saying I am confused some people don't automatically think oh this is a kids place this place might not be the best place for my crude tee shirt. I, back in 1996 had a shirt that was a mr rodger shirt of him saying **** you as the word of the day. But I wore it to skate board park and rock concerts. I don't think even at my most rebellious teen years I would of picked a young kid heavy area to throw it on for.

^^ I'm really really trying bro, but I just cannot picture you wearing that shirt? :laugh:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Castrate all runners because they already don't have any balls

I wouldn’t advise wearing this one on a military post, where thousands of servicemen run every day and run much faster than a one-dimensional gym meathead that would wear a shirt like this.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    It's funny to me that you have time to read shirts.
    Short answer is I'm there daily for hours
    The long anwser is being on the functional but effected part of autism spectrum I have trouble making eye contact. Something in my head makes me completely paranoid I'm staring even if I glance at someone. Which in causes for females make me worry if I look at them too long will make me seem creepy, so I am constantly reading shirts of mens to also prevent eye contact. I don't know how to truly explain someone without Aspergers or Autism why but looking someone in the eye feels criminal and its truly a task when I decide to do that. Uneasy and even though I'm not rain man level and can reason with myself how stupid that sounds even to myself, I am constantly falling into old coping mechanisms. At the gym in an attempt to not feel like a lurker I tend to focus in the direction of the men only area of the gym. And who often are the men most women avoid. The ones with the shirts that say crap like that.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options

^^ I'm really really trying bro, but I just cannot picture you wearing that shirt? :laugh:
    That doesn't matter if you do or not. Teen years were a different time. Far from the polos and such I wear today. **** that was almost 20 years.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I train at a community center. Most people wear t-shirts from their most recent running events, like charity 5K's, etc.. I've seen some that are from vitamin stores (GNC, S2, etc.) and a few from various schools, colleges, too. But none that were/are offensive.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    I train at a community center. Most people wear t-shirts from their most recent running events, like charity 5K's, etc.. I've seen some that are from vitamin stores (GNC, S2, etc.) and a few from various schools, colleges, too. But none that were/are offensive.
    99 % of all the people at my gym are like that. It's not even a constant issue. That list is the year so far. I was up late in bed and started trying to remember them all. Put the topic up because I was bored in bed
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    A lot of Americans born 75 and after seem to be lacking common sense/ public manners. It's a common trait with generation X, part of the whole entitlement ideal instilled in them.

You should see some of them overseas, they tend to give the rest of us quite a bad reputation.

I think that's Gen Y...Gen X'ers are a wee bit older :laugh: and gawd, I should hope they don't behave as you've observed.
    Gen X are people born btw 1966 to 1976 and somehow I think the description is likely to fit those born btw '97-'94. Then again, I could be wrong. All of this is subjective & of course, personal opinion :wink:

ETA: not that it matters much...it just struck me as funny that someone, possibly in their mid 40's wearing a shirt like that in public just screams creeper :laugh:

Depends on which definition and you get anywhere from 65 to 85 for gen X. But I was referring to the people in their mid 30's which the OP was talking about they are definitely gen Xers. But my 75 onward comment was in general not specific to Gen Xers but Americans in general.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    America bashing and christian bashing. Doesn't this ever get old?

As for the shirts, many gyms have a "no profanity" rule that results in forfeiture of membership. Usually the d-bags who wear clothes like this thinking it is funny are asked to go home and change.

It doesn't really bother me personally. It just gives me a reason to make fun of losers.
  • Gabrielm80
    Options

Depends on which definition and you get anywhere from 65 to 85 for gen X. But I was referring to the people in their mid 30's which the OP was talking about they are definitely gen Xers. But my 75 onward comment was in general not specific to Gen Xers but Americans in general.
    Nah I honestly don't think it's as bad as it seems. Every generation goes through a rebellious stage and outside the bubble looking in it looks so much worse than any age before them. Like an above poster mentioned he couldn't picture me wearing that Mr Rodgers cusing shirt. I would hope not. After heading off to college and doing things that got me in just enough trouble to be a inconvient like getting arrested for pot at 20 or countless tickets for throwing party's at my apartment the wiser me rages less against the machine and focuses on things like what to buy to eat for my kids. I live a much different life as did my parents generation. The sixtys werent exactly known for teens sitting back and respecting their elders. It not about entitlements, its about rebeling. Each generation picks a different voice but deep down it is the same. And every generation some of us choose to grow out of it and a few fight change with all their might
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Seems like you can work your butt off at the gym and still bring a little class with you. Get rid of the shirt!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    It's funny to me that you have time to read shirts.

Why is that funny? I love to read peoples shirts when at the gym.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Keeps the squat rack empty

who_farted_t_shirt-r979056b62c104179b22ff35b87b405ec_804g5_324.jpg
  • bartonjack
    bartonjack Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Gabrielm80

Some people just have no class! Those shirts, you mentioned, have NO place anywhere or anytime. Grow up people!
  • Gabrielm80
    Options
    Keeps the squat rack empty

who_farted_t_shirt-r979056b62c104179b22ff35b87b405ec_804g5_324.jpg

I think atleast one person should wear that shirt to every group class
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think it says more about the culture we are cultivating in young people, where it is acceptable to be crude disgusting and disrespectful in general. Its really pathetic and sad in my opinion, especially when women are ATTRACTED to men who behave this way. I feel extremely sorry for those girls.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Castrate all runners because they already don't have any balls

I wouldn’t advise wearing this one on a military post, where thousands of servicemen run every day and run much faster than a one-dimensional gym meathead that would wear a shirt like this.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't imagine wearing something like that around here. I know our gym would throw them out anyway, and it seems to be announcing to the world "hit me." Hell, growing up, my father wouldn't even allow me to wear martial arts shirts because he didn't want me to be a "beacon to every *kitten* that wants to prove himself." I think those are words to live by. lol