Gym shirts that I just don't understand

Options

Replies

• ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I agree that in any setting where its a family atmosphere it could be offending. Some of them were kind of funny but i wouldnt want my husband to wear them. I have one that says crank that s@#* up but sadly its too big now :(

I personally get more offended at the women who wear almost nothing as if i really want to see the tramp stamp and half their boobs falling out. But, on the other hand im not stopping long enough to read what the shirts say.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I agree that in any setting where its a family atmosphere it could be offending. Some of them were kind of funny but i wouldnt want my husband to wear them. I have one that says crank that s@#* up but sadly its too big now :(

I personally get more offended at the women who wear almost nothing as if i really want to see the tramp stamp and half their boobs falling out. But, on the other hand im not stopping long enough to read what the shirts say.

Ah, let us take offence upon the common acts of populace and protect the mind of purility.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlzdq2EnLYy1yS598eosH6GpLKnJKo1gc73_UkemDUbLHA34AUIA
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Whether it's a Christian organization or not, people should have enough common sense to realize shirts like that shouldn't be worn in an establishment where there are children around.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A lot of Americans born 75 and after seem to be lacking common sense/ public manners. It's a common trait with generation X, part of the whole entitlement ideal instilled in them.

You should see some of them overseas, they tend to give the rest of us quite a bad reputation.

I think that's Gen Y...Gen X'ers are a wee bit older :laugh: and gawd, I should hope they don't behave as you've observed.
    Gen X are people born btw 1966 to 1976 and somehow I think the description is likely to fit those born btw '97-'94. Then again, I could be wrong. All of this is subjective & of course, personal opinion :wink:

ETA: not that it matters much...it just struck me as funny that someone, possibly in their mid 40's wearing a shirt like that in public just screams creeper :laugh:

Depends on which definition and you get anywhere from 65 to 85 for gen X. But I was referring to the people in their mid 30's which the OP was talking about they are definitely gen Xers. But my 75 onward comment was in general not specific to Gen Xers but Americans in general.
    Nah I honestly don't think it's as bad as it seems. Every generation goes through a rebellious stage and outside the bubble looking in it looks so much worse than any age before them. Like an above poster mentioned he couldn't picture me wearing that Mr Rodgers cusing shirt. I would hope not. After heading off to college and doing things that got me in just enough trouble to be a inconvient like getting arrested for pot at 20 or countless tickets for throwing party's at my apartment the wiser me rages less against the machine and focuses on things like what to buy to eat for my kids. I live a much different life as did my parents generation. The sixtys werent exactly known for teens sitting back and respecting their elders. It not about entitlements, its about rebeling. Each generation picks a different voice but deep down it is the same. And every generation some of us choose to grow out of it and a few fight change with all their might

Agreed! :wink:
  • ladypitek
    ladypitek Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You should really be more focused on your workout and less on what people are wearing. I don't care if it's called a "Christian" association or a "purity" association, if they're paying the same for their membership as you it's still a free country and they have the right to wear whatever they choose, as long as their naughty bits aren't hanging out. You people are way too sensitive and way too interested in policing other's activities.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    It's funny to me that you have time to read shirts.

A love how people like to pretend they are the best most awesomest gym goers ever, and that no one should ever have enough time to even think about reading what it says on a shirt. I mean really, how could you even get enough time to work out while reading 6 words on somebodies shirt GASP, while they were possibly standing in front of you while you worked out! You might as well just give up on this whole getting in shape thing if, because you might fall off the treadmill, or drop a barbell on your head, and your calorie burn gets cut by 90% because you were reading at the gym.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You should really be more focused on your workout and less on what people are wearing. I don't care if it's called a "Christian" association or a "purity" association, if they're paying the same for their membership as you it's still a free country and they have the right to wear whatever they choose, as long as their naughty bits aren't hanging out. You people are way too sensitive and way too interested in policing other's activities.

Oh nice, so they pay for a membership the get to do what they want...makes sense. Might as well just take a crap on the flat bench, or pi$$ in the water cooler too. Sounds good no rules apply, because you paid for a membership.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    Actually when it comes to places of business, private organizations and the like, one is not free to do whatever they please. Just as people have a constitutionally protected right to be a jerk, places of business have a right to tell them their business isn't wanted. I don't have an issue with those shirts, necessarily. The whole "family establishment" is lost on me. My kids are in the public just as these folks. If they don't see it in a setting like this they will see it driving across town, at a shopping center, etc...

It's not the end of the world and at the end of the day my children have learned what a meathead looks like.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options

It's funny you have time to post about reading shirts at 5 AM??

You got me there.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I have this one.

2329blk-w232h232z1-12686-i-work-out-just-kidding-i-take-naps.jpg
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever seen anything inappropriate at the Y I go to.

The only thing that makes me want to die (and this is just a mental thing for me) is when it's super hot and people come in with hooded sweatshirt. The a/c is already half broken there so it is HOT... and looking at the sweatshirt makes me feel like melting, but to each his/her own!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    huh... any gym I was ever a member of, had a dress code.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I wear my Bad Religion band t-shirt to the gym all the time...

039dde45.gif
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've designed a few gym Tees. My most "aggressive":
    fig,red,mens,ffffff.u3.jpg

fig,white,mens,ffffff.u3.jpg

I trust you lot would appreciate them, though. More here: http://www.redbubble.com/people/darrensurrey/portfolio
    huh... any gym I was ever a member of, had a dress code.

Mine's in a school so I leave my mankini at home. :o)
  • M22KY
    M22KY Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The most crude I've seen--not at a Y--but Gold's had this:

*kitten*--the new Vag!na

I still would like to know how this fool was able to get past the check-in desk with that crazy mess on! :mad:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to say that I've not seen anything like that in my gym. There is nothing big, funny or clever about those slogans.

QFT

I'm pretty sure I'd lose my mind if I saw the one about making him a sandwich. They're offensive, disrespectful and disgusting. I have never seen anyone wear something like that in my gym. They're just perpetuating douchbaggery.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My favorite is LOL @ YOUR LEGS. Can't wait to rock that shirt.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Why is that funny? I love to read peoples shirts when at the gym.

How long does it take to read a t-shirt? I'm pretty sure you can get it done while they're walking by you, or while you sit and pick your butt on the elliptical.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The most crude I've seen--not at a Y--but Gold's had this:

*kitten*--the new Vag!na

I still would like to know how this fool was able to get past the check-in desk with that crazy mess on! :mad:

LMAO! Sounds like a t-shirt for a guy who's recently switched his sexual preference from female to male.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    If it bothers you that much talk to the gym and see if they can implement a facility wide ban on anything that's deemed inappropriate according to someone's opinion.