What do you do when your bored of all your usual meals?

Olafiina
Olafiina Posts: 14 Member
I genuinely do love cooking and eating healthfully, but lately I've just not felt like dealing with food because I can't think of anything I'm particularly wanting so I've just been eating quick/less nutritious things that are mindless. I need to get back into eating better stuff but I feel so un-inspired. What do you do when you don't want all the "same stuff" you usually eat?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    If the same stuff works for my macros (I'm talking to you, you delicious eggs and egg whites) then individual spices or spice blends can help.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I basically agree with MaltedTea - take your usual foods/ingredients and switch up cuisines.

Research the ‘core’ spices and aromatics for a cuisine you know you like or better yet, a cuisine that’s new to you! It’s a good way to reinvigorate your meals whilst still using the basics you know work for you calorie/macro wise.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    When I'm really bored and just don't want to bother I live on:
    Sliced deli chicken or turkey
    tuna (with mayo and pickle, eaten with a fork rather than ON anything)
    boiled eggs
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    protein oatmeal
    Berries
    oranges

One of the big reasons I got so heavy to start with was I'd get bored and go 'screw it' a lot and end up with fast food/chips/candy instead of meals. The above is my replacement for those 'I'm bored and can't be bothered' meals. Usually my interest eventually returns
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    I'd suggest go to a different market. Look for new ingredients that you can work with and try new things.

Is there a farmers market near you?
    Or an asian market?

I especially like going to asian markets because they have a lot of produce that the "regular" markets don't generally carry. They also have different spices, sauces, even proteins that you may not have come across before. So you can find fun and different stuff to use - even in your standard recipes.

I tend to make a lot of stir-frys, amping up the veg, limiting the sauce. Having different vegetables to throw in there, and different spices to add, can keep it interesting. Honestly, I don't think I've ever made the same thing twice.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    search on youtube or pinterest for ideas searching upon what i wish or main ingredient , look here in recipes https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures#latest for ideas
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    I never allow myself to get bored because I never eat the same things over and over. So, do that is my advice. I pick out a fortnight's worth of dinner recipes from my recipe books, shop for the ingredients I need, and that does us for most dinners and lunches for the fortnight (two of us vs recipes for 4+ people works out well). I usually choose things that reheat well for this reason. Some days we'll have sandwiches or oven food like pizza or kievs with a few servings of frozen veg.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Boredom is a symptom not a predicate. In this context it likely represents the antipathy one feels when sacrificing comfort foods for a weight loss goal one is not truly energized by. It can't be cured by switching ingredients any more than a bad marriage can be improved by moving to a better neighborhood. Work on why you want to lose weight and if you truly do.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Usually when I feel this way, it's because I don't want to put the effort into cooking. So, for a little while, I'll make up sandwich/wrap spreads, canned soups, no-bake snacks, and easy pastas. All stuff that takes 15 minutes or less and can be munched on with a minimal amount of effort. After a week or two, I usually feel ready to start cooking again. :)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I would attack the problem on two fronts.

1) As mentioned there are countless ways to change up flavors. There are ways to challenge yourself. You can cook foods from different cuisines, different time periods, and fusions.

2) Do the right thing for yourself because it is the right thing to do. Eating is a requirement of life. Eating the right amount of food is a requirement of health. The fact that you can make food interesting is a bonus not a requirement. I do not know what a life looks like that involves only inspired cooking and super flavorful meals. My life doesn't allow such a thing. I can certainly prepare and eat SOME of my meals that way but not all. A fair amount of them are simply eaten for utility/fuel.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,960 Member
    With four teenagers in the house, our dinners started to get pretty stale by the kids always asking for the same 3-4 meals every week. So I implemented the rule of a mandatory 3 weeks minimum between having the same meal, tracked via a spreadsheet which lists every recipe we keep on file for reuse, along with the last date eaten. Variety is the spice of life and all that jazz, but it works for us by not only lessening the chances of getting sick of a certain meal due to overuse, but also regularly infuses our table with recipes which had otherwise been of the "do you remember when we had a meal six years ago, I'm pretty sure it included pork chops and pineapple...".