IF and women

Replies

• habeebz921
    habeebz921 Posts: 10 Member
    I used to do IF easily pre kids where i maintained my weight at 53 kg. Post kids and i cant wake up in the morning without feeling like im starving in the morning and struggling to maintain at 69 kg, no IF.

I definitely think it helps to keep calories regular, no issues as a woman tbh as window was 16:8
  • ChaoticMoira
    ChaoticMoira Posts: 103 Member
    Finding a 'diet' that works for YOU is the most important thing - it's never right for everyone.
    I don't understand all the hate and snippy comments surrounding IF on MFP.

I don't understand it either. This is hardly the first time I have seen people make negative comments on the boards about IF. There always seems to be a few people when the topic comes up who appear to have some issue about it.
    Nobody ever really says why they take issue with it though, so I find it a mystery.

Inevitably weight loss comes from calorie restriction. If someone wants to use fasting as their method of doing that why is that an issue?
    If you weren't such a heretic you wouldn't have got so many dislikes. You need to get your priorities straight. >:)

HAHAHA

• Walkywalkerson
    Walkywalkerson Posts: 453 Member
    Finding a 'diet' that works for YOU is the most important thing - it's never right for everyone.
    I don't understand all the hate and snippy comments surrounding IF on MFP.

I don't understand it either. This is hardly the first time I have seen people make negative comments on the boards about IF. There always seems to be a few people when the topic comes up who appear to have some issue about it.
    Nobody ever really says why they take issue with it though, so I find it a mystery.

Inevitably weight loss comes from calorie restriction. If someone wants to use fasting as their method of doing that why is that

Let the haters hate- it works for me so I don't really care 😁
    I'm 46yrs old with a life time of being on 'diets' this is the first time I've ever felt control over my appetite.
    I don't think it's a magic 'diet' I think it helps control calorie intake = winner!
  • Walkywalkerson
    [/quote]

I think the reason people take issue with it is the beliefs (not backed by science in any way, shape, or form by the way) that people have in regards to IF. I've heard everything from that it cures cancer to that it cures infertility to that it extends your life to that you can eat absolutely whatever and how much you want, and you'll never gain weight. We're trying to express that all of these things are, as of now, factually incorrect, regardless of what fasters may believe. Biology really doesn't care what you believe, it's still gonna do its thing.[/quote]

People choose to hear what they want to suit their own narrative.
    Weight loss placebos are everywhere- diets claiming an easy fix without counting calories.
    Usually with some 'scientific' bollocks on YouTube to back it up 🙄
    IF for most is about appetite control which for me is what helps me lose weight and reduce calories.
    Simple CICO for most obese people doesn't work.
    If it did then there wouldn't be a 'crisis'

• ChaoticMoira
    edited September 2021
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    I think the reason people take issue with it is the beliefs (not backed by science in any way, shape, or form by the way) that people have in regards to IF. I've heard everything from that it cures cancer to that it cures infertility to that it extends your life to that you can eat absolutely whatever and how much you want, and you'll never gain weight. We're trying to express that all of these things are, as of now, factually incorrect, regardless of what fasters may believe. Biology really doesn't care what you believe, it's still gonna do its thing.

In my opinion most of those claims are because weight loss in general has been tied to each one of those things. And they are actually based in science when you consider it in that capacity. Obesity has been linked to cancer, infertility in women and any number of life threatening illnesses which could lead to earlier death. So yes it would be misleading to say IF cures/does these things, but not wrong to say weight loss may cure/fix these things.

Why not just make the clarification, rather than bashing ones method of reaching their a health goal?

And yes, I have come across people in forums and facebook groups who mistakenly think they can eat whatever they want on non fasting times and lose weight, which is of course not true.

What I don't understand is, that is no different than someone counting calories incorrectly. Nobody makes snippy comments about them doing that. They are helpful, and advise them so that they can do it correctly. Why is IF any different? It works to lose weight, when done correctly. So why not just be helpful?
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    We're trying to express that all of these things are, as of now, factually incorrect, regardless of what fasters may believe.

I haven't actually seen fasters here on the forums making any special health claims.
    I do know some believe in certain health claims. But I don't see what they believe as being an issue unless they are telling someone else that "the belief" is a fact. I haven't seen that happening.
  • ChaoticMoira
    Let the haters hate- it works for me so I don't really care 😁
    I'm 46yrs old with a life time of being on 'diets' this is the first time I've ever felt control over my appetite.
    I don't think it's a magic 'diet' I think it helps control calorie intake = winner!

I am happy it is working for you. That IS all that matters.

• Walkywalkerson
    I'm not quoting massive walls of text - but I'd like to respond to those of you that have stated that I'm confused about CICO.
    Just to clarify I didn't say it was a diet plan and I am aware that it is a formula.
    What I did say is that it is not easy to follow hence the obesity 'crisis'.
    And that what works for YOU is the answer not a one size fits all blanket approach.
    I don't think IF holds any magic - like I said before it controls my appetite and cravings which are the main reasons I'm overweight.
    It works for me.
    I don't practice it like a religion, life happens, weekends out happen, pizza and wine happen 🤣
    But any way to reduce calories in a way that doesn't feel like torture is fine by me.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,810 Member
    People are confused because like you said CICO isn't a strategy it's a description of a thermodynamic law, nothing more. I think people in general would like to get beyond that and talk about dieting, just a guess though.
  • ChaoticMoira
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There's no hate towards IF per se. What many of us dislike is claims about benefits that aren't backed up. I commented because someone touted the "benefits" of IF and when I asked for more information was told to google it.

Yeah, that's persuasive.

Good grief. I didn't tout anything. I wasn't attempting to convince anyone of these benefits. I simply mentioned that some people were using IF for the "touted" benefits, and according that system, they would need to know the rules and structure around doing so. That was enough to annoy a number of people. That is kind of my point. If someone IS doing it with those benefits in mind, they'd hardly be received in a very helpful or positive manner since my just mentioning it's existence bothers so many.

And yeah, not persuasive, cause I am not advocating anything, not trying to persuade anyone on anything. Have no interest or intention of doing so.

• Walkywalkerson
    I'm not quoting massive walls of text - but I'd like to respond to those of you that have stated that I'm confused about CICO.
    Just to clarify I didn't say it was a diet plan and I am aware that it is a formula.
    What I did say is that it is not easy to follow hence the obesity 'crisis'.

sure, CI is more than CO for lots of people, hence the obesity crisis

but your post does seem a confusion about CICO..

CICO isn't something you follow, it is something that happens to everyone, ie CICO determines whether you lose, gain, maintain weight over time regardless of which strategy you follow
    Or if you follow any particular strategy at all.

🤣
    So what is your point
    You're right and I'm wrong?
    You do you and stop trolling.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    What kind of intermittent fasting?
    16:8? That's a pretty normal eating schedule for many people. I personally don't really consider that fasting.

5:2? I tried it. It worked and it also royaly screwed up my cycle so I had to stop.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There's no hate towards IF per se. What many of us dislike is claims about benefits that aren't backed up. I commented because someone touted the "benefits" of IF and when I asked for more information was told to google it.

Yeah, that's persuasive.

Good grief. I didn't tout anything. I wasn't attempting to convince anyone of these benefits. I simply mentioned that some people were using IF for the "touted" benefits, and according that system, they would need to know the rules and structure around doing so. That was enough to annoy a number of people. That is kind of my point. If someone IS doing it with those benefits in mind, they'd hardly be received in a very helpful or positive manner since my just mentioning it's existence bothers so many.

And yeah, not persuasive, cause I am not advocating anything, not trying to persuade anyone on anything. Have no interest or intention of doing so.

Perhaps your intent was something different from what you actually wrote:
    Caralarma wrote: »
    I've never understood why not eating in the morning has become this newfound 'diet' with a fancy name. I've been doing it for years because I'm not hungry in the morning and it allows me to save calories. Simple.

Because it is not actually the same thing as simply "skipping a meal". While it does cut calories (as would skipping a meal), many people are doing it for other health benefits (there is plenty of research, articles, and books on this) which requires understanding the difference between simply "skipping a meal" and actually reaching the goal fasting window (which has been mentioned as 12 hours minimum) for the other health benefits. Also because, not all IF is 16:8 (the version you are calling skipping a meal). There are various ways to do IF. With some, one does not eat anything for a whole day, or only has one meal for a day (OMAD). Water fasts, OMAD, and calorie restricted fasts are often done 2 or 3 times a week (5:2 or 4:3). And, some people even Alternate Day Fast.

So the purpose of having a name, is because it is a multifaceted thing which needs an identifier in order to refer to it.