Options
Greetings my name is Phil. I currently weigh 270 am 6ft and looking to get down to 200 by Dec. Not only did I start going to a gym, I hired a personal trainer for 2 days a week. He states I need to start eating better. No more fast food for me. I would say that eating is my biggest issue. We don't cook in my house, only order in. Have to fight the urge.

Replies

• Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Eating out can definitely be a struggle!!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    One thing to bear in mind with personal trainers (and this may not apply to yours) is they are generally qualified in personal training - i.e. exercise, not nutrition, those that do have some nutrition training may have done a short "course" online to be a Nutritionist, that is not the same as a Registered Dietician (someone who has spent years medically training)

There are some personal trainers that give appalling nutrition advice based on bro-science (there are also some that have taken the time to get decent science-backed information - so I am not saying they are all bad). It's worth checking your PT's qualifications out and don't be afraid to ask questions if something doesn't sound right.

The be all and end all of weight management is energy balance, for weight loss that means creating a calorie deficit, this is done by eating less than you burn, moving more to create a larger burn or a combination of the two.

Unless you plan to stop eating fast food for the rest of your life, I would suggest rather than cutting it out altogether you find ways to make it fit your calorie and nutrition needs, that way you're less likely to feel like you're missing out on something and "falling off the wagon" when you're tempted by the forbidden fruit.

For example:
    • Eat it less often
    • Eat smaller portions of the high calorie stuff.
    • Learn to make alternatives at home - Fakeaways.
    • Look at calories over the week rather than the day, eat a little less on some days so you can eat a little more extravagantly on other days.

This is an excellent read: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1