Going on a 1000 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I can put up with the hunger I just don't want to cause irreparable damage.
    Why put up with hunger when you don't have to? Genuine hunger is your body's way of telling you it NEEDS MORE FOOD! :tongue:

I can only repeat what others have said - 1000 is too low, 1300 is too low - I'm a 45 year old woman and I lose eating 1800-2000 a day. Why try to go for a quick loss with drastic calorie cuts when the only benefit is somewhat immediate, though hardly permanent, gratification? :noway:
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    No further wisdom to offer the OP.....everyone here summed it up beautifully. I hope he hears the good advice....and I wish others who want to do a VLCD will read and learn too. You folks rock!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    for those of you get off on posting sarcastic and cruel responses to posters who often have serious questions because they just don't know, especially people who are genuinely struggling.......one word, karma.

The things I "get off on" aren't on this website. Sorry to disappoint you.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    for those of you get off on posting sarcastic and cruel responses to posters who often have serious questions because they just don't know, especially people who are genuinely struggling.......one word, karma.

The things I "get off on" aren't on this website. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Nice.
    Iv1lZgh.gif
  • khyuma04
    Options
    I've been eating around 1300 for the past month or two around now my weight loss has come to a crawl. Are there any permanent negative long term effects to a low calorie diet? I've started to get hungry mid way through exercise sessions and have been waking up earlier than usual but I'm guessing that from low carbs.

I know it messes with your metabolism but that can be corrected over time. I can put up with the hunger I just don't want to cause irreparable damage.

What is your weight and height? Do you know your body fat %? What are your workouts like?

Weighed myself this morning and I'm 138ls at 6'0. For workouts I train boxing so its a mix of HIIT and low intensity stuff. Not that I particularly want to but lowering calories seems to be the only sure fire way to drop further lbs.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 1300 for the past month or two around now my weight loss has come to a crawl. Are there any permanent negative long term effects to a low calorie diet? I've started to get hungry mid way through exercise sessions and have been waking up earlier than usual but I'm guessing that from low carbs.

I know it messes with your metabolism but that can be corrected over time. I can put up with the hunger I just don't want to cause irreparable damage.

What is your weight and height? Do you know your body fat %? What are your workouts like?

Weighed myself this morning and I'm 138ls at 6'0. For workouts I train boxing so its a mix of HIIT and low intensity stuff. Not that I particularly want to but lowering calories seems to be the only sure fire way to drop further lbs.

Wow, I hope you are trying to put on weight, not lose i, you could probably gain 30-60 lbs and look healthy at that height. I am 5'6" and 145, and I am not that big.
  • mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

If you are hungry you aren't eating foods that fill you up. whole grains, fibre.. protein..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Why is your goal weight less than 138 pounds? Very unhealthy.

Use this calculator, and put in "gain muscle, lose fat" as a goal.
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

150 is ideal for my height at 5'7"..... I outweigh you by like 90lbs, and you want to drop?........:huh:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • keith_w61
    keith_w61 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

At 138 and 6'0, your BMI is 18.7, which is at the low end of the Normal Weight BMI scale (18.5-24.9), you should be, at most on a maintenance diet, not looking to lose more.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    once you up your calories so that you won't a) starve yourself and b) get constantly woozy/dizzy, replace the word "diet" with "lifestyle." you want to aim for a change that is sustainable.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_ms5izmBgmw1qz4rgp.jpg
    Dude, you need about 500 MORE calories a day rather than drop 300.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    good luck OP! :drinker:

please report back and tell us how you do.
  • SkinnyMsFitness
    SkinnyMsFitness Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Try increasing your cals instead of lowing them.

Not eating enough...permanent hair loss is pretty typical. Organ damage, etc, etc, etc.....

It's common at your point (almost to goal weight) for your losses to crawl...you're fine doing what you're doing. Eating more would probably work best.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Please see a physician and a psychiatrist and try to work with a registered dietitian. Best of luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • bananahb33
    bananahb33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I honestly did not have the time to read through every comment to see if someone else said this. But if it hasn't already been suggested, you might try intermittent fasting. It requires no changes to the amount of calories that you consume but does require that you eat them at specific times during the day to maximize the amount of time between each meal. Though it is called a "fast," you are by no means starving yourself. In fact I agree with other users that you are probably not consuming enough calories as it is.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options

6'0" and 138lbs? AND you're male? AND you're 22? OP, you're not losing weight because you have nothing to lose. At that weight you are a tad above underweight and your body does not want to give up any more weight, especially considering what you're putting it through. What on earth makes you think you need to lose weight?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I honestly did not have the time to read through every comment to see if someone else said this. But if it hasn't already been suggested, you might try intermittent fasting. It requires no changes to the amount of calories that you consume but does require that you eat them at specific times during the day to maximize the amount of time between each meal. Though it is called a "fast," you are by no means starving yourself. In fact I agree with other users that you are probably not consuming enough calories as it is.

Dude is 6'0" 138. Probably should have checked out some more replies.......
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Dude is 6'0" 138. Probably should have checked out some more replies.......

^^^This...if you are going to post a reply you should actually READ THE THREAD first. Jeez. It's not that hard.

OP:
    IXUO5zJ.gif