Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Do you know any way to test for sugar/diabetes?

FiberousJFiberousJ Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
I don't think I have it, but I want to be sure. Do you know an online test you can take, without having to go to the Dr. office? I just got to know.

Replies

• claireychn074claireychn074 Member, Premium Posts: 497 Member Member, Premium Posts: 497 Member
    Your pharmacist may do a test for you and in some parts of the world you can order an online test via a doctor. But, ultimately, if you have a health concern - why not go to your own doctor? They can talk it through with you and listen to your concerns?
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 2,308 Member Member Posts: 2,308 Member
    I don't know where you live, but in the U.S., a lot a pharmacies have walk-in clinics that will do the test for you.
  • rhaiinrhaiin Member Posts: 22 Member Member Posts: 22 Member
    You should really go to the doctor if you're concerned. Diabetes is not something to mess around with. They'll do some blood work to test your A1C after you fast to diagnose you. Its better to catch it early on before it starts causing nerve and blood vessel damage.

However, if you are unable to go to the doctor for whatever reaosn, you can buy a glucose meter at any pharmacy and you could record your blood sugar 4 or 5 times a day for a few days to see if its normal or not. Normal blood sugar is around 100 usually. If it goes higher than 140 after a meal, that would be cause for concern. At that point, you definately need to see a doctor.
  • FiberousJFiberousJ Member Posts: 64 Member Member Posts: 64 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »
    You should really go to the doctor if you're concerned. Diabetes is not something to mess around with. They'll do some blood work to test your A1C after you fast to diagnose you. Its better to catch it early on before it starts causing nerve and blood vessel damage.

However, if you are unable to go to the doctor for whatever reaosn, you can buy a glucose meter at any pharmacy and you could record your blood sugar 4 or 5 times a day for a few days to see if its normal or not. Normal blood sugar is around 100 usually. If it goes higher than 140 after a meal, that would be cause for concern. At that point, you definately need to see a doctor.

Normal BG readings are around 80... 100 is borderline high. Post-prandial (after eating) BG readings are completely dependent on what was eaten. It is not unusual for a person without diabetes to have a post-prandial reading in the high 180's if they have eaten starchy carbs or a sugary dessert during the meal. What needs to be checked after eating is whether or not the BG readings return to the normal range 1.5 to 2 hours after the meal is consumed.

I'm looking at the Test you talked about (Quest). But you were talking about blood glucose after a meal. This test requires you to fast 8 to 12 hours.
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 2,981 Member Member Posts: 2,981 Member
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    rhaiin wrote: »

Normal BG readings are around 80... 100 is borderline high. Post-prandial (after eating) BG readings are completely dependent on what was eaten. It is not unusual for a person without diabetes to have a post-prandial reading in the high 180's if they have eaten starchy carbs or a sugary dessert during the meal. What needs to be checked after eating is whether or not the BG readings return to the normal range 1.5 to 2 hours after the meal is consumed.

I'm looking at the Test you talked about (Quest). But you were talking about blood glucose after a meal. This test requires you to fast 8 to 12 hours.

For a baseline reading (i.e. how your body is actually managing the blood sugar levels overall) the test will always be done in a fasted state.

I was replying to the previous poster who had made the claim that your BG reading should not go above 140 after eating a meal, which is a ridiculous claim. The problem (and one of the indications of diabetes) is not the spike after the meal - the problem comes when the BG spike lasts longer than 2 hours. Non-diabetic BG readings should return to a normal level within about 2 hours of the meal. When the level stays high longer than that, it is an indication that something may be up and further medical intervention may be necessary.